pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
mine is running like a champ
28g Ti around a 3mm (.5Ω)
42w @ 410°
pull cotton/dry burn about ever other day (8-10ml)

nothing but perfect
forget I am even using TC/Ti
same experience as if it were kanthal, just no burnt...
and that 5000mah just lasts & lasts &............................................

:)

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Three weeks now using a .58ohm 430ss coil on the vt60. Even though it works fine at 280°f I'm retiring the build because of rewicking problems. 430ss is just too soft making it difficult to wick heavy with rayon or cotton without disrupting coil symmetry. I'm fussy about symmetry so back to 24g Ti for now. Next tc wire in line to test is nife48/nifethal52.

Reactions: pufZeppelin

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Oh I don't know, guess I just like spearmentn with diff things. If I hadn't tried Ti, or tc for that matter, I'd prolly still be gagn on burnt cotton. Thing is, I'm never too proud to say I was wrong or admit I was mistakn about the benifits or downsides of one device or wire over another. Ti is great when handled with care and so is 430ss when handled with even more care but there's always something better out there. Nife48 may just be the cat's poop, who knows. One thing for sure though, it WILL run on the VT60 or at least the tcr value indicates it will.

Reactions: pufZeppelin

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Ok here is a quick analysis of flashing the standard eVIC VT.

There are two different PCBs inside the unit.

The one on top handles the 5V conversion for charging, the power conversion to the 510, the user jog wheel, and various control signals to and from the microcontroller.

The microcontroller is located on the back side of the display PCB. I stumbled across this when I swapped display sections with another VT and the settings from the old mod carried over.

As for flashing, with the T05025 and Y05064 etched models it is currently impossible due to the lack of traces from the top section to the microcontroller. I probed all programming pads on the microcontroller/display PCB and none of them led to the upper board so this totally rules out USB flashing.

What would need to happen is to rig a logic analyzer to a VT Mini and capture an update. This would capture the timing of the signals and the raw hex that is used to flash the microcontroller. This capture then could be played back to a standard eVIC VT that had wires directly connected to the pads near the controller labeled: VCC3V, DAT, CLK, and MCLR. It still may be possible with a direct flash to the microcontroller PCB, but it would take me a few hours to complete the task and IMO would be next to impossible for the casual home user.

IMO better off purchasing a mini if you want/need the updated functionality.

I want to give a HUGE thank-you to @thayamax for sending me her broken VT to experiment on. I first tried to revive the one she sent me, but it suffered from juice intrusion down past the 510 and destroyed one or more of the components on the top PCB that controlled battery charging. Luckily the display section was still functional albeit with a corrupted battery indicator so I was able to put in my VT that I had broken the display in.

I'll post some pics in a day or so with most if the components I could identify labeled for the nerdy types that like to see that stuff.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
New coil .67 ohm ss430. Holding tc for a day now.

Ss430 good range extended to .5-.7 ohm
How did you manage the damn thing to stay in Ti-Mode?
No matter what I do, the moment I fire, it instantly jumps into VW on my SS build. Currently running a 0,6 parallel build, if that makes any difference.

Teach me, wise one.

Reactions: JeremyR

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Ok here is a quick analysis of flashing the standard eVIC VT.

There are two different PCBs inside the unit.

The one on top handles the 5V conversion for charging, the power conversion to the 510, the user jog wheel, and various control signals to and from the microcontroller.

The microcontroller is located on the back side of the display PCB. I stumbled across this when I swapped display sections with another VT and the settings from the old mod carried over.

As for flashing, with the T05025 and Y05064 etched models it is currently impossible due to the lack of traces from the top section to the microcontroller. I probed all programming pads on the microcontroller/display PCB and none of them led to the upper board so this totally rules out USB flashing.

What would need to happen is to rig a logic analyzer to a VT Mini and capture an update. This would capture the timing of the signals and the raw hex that is used to flash the microcontroller. This capture then could be played back to a standard eVIC VT that had wires directly connected to the pads near the controller labeled: VCC3V, DAT, CLK, and MCLR. It still may be possible with a direct flash to the microcontroller PCB, but it would take me a few hours to complete the task and IMO would be next to impossible for the casual home user.

IMO better off purchasing a mini if you want/need the updated functionality.

I want to give a HUGE thank-you to @thayamax for sending me her broken VT to experiment on. I first tried to revive the one she sent me, but it suffered from juice intrusion down past the 510 and destroyed one or more of the components on the top PCB that controlled battery charging. Luckily the display section was still functional albeit with a corrupted battery indicator so I was able to put in my VT that I had broken the display in.

I'll post some pics in a day or so with most if the components I could identify labeled for the nerdy types that like to see that stuff.

Nice job investigating bro, thanks. :thumb:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
How did you manage the damn thing to stay in Ti-Mode?
No matter what I do, the moment I fire, it instantly jumps into VW on my SS build. Currently running a 0,6 parallel build, if that makes any difference.

Teach me, wise one.

Yeah, single coil .6 should work. I only use spaced coils in every build. You sure all legs are properly trapped? They usually loosen after a few good fires. That will cause it to jump too.

You may just need to fire in VW mode for a bit to oxidize it with a parallel if its touching anywhere. Watch the res. in VW mode till it starts reading change. Then it will go to ti mode.

Of course also power down, remove and unlock atty.

Reactions: cigatron

Joshatdot

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
Pacific North West
I am still on the fence, so to speak, on getting another VT60, or a VTC .. but now the iPV D3 will be out very soon .. maybe that.

I really enjoy the long battery life of the VT60, and the build quality .. it's built like a Tank! I am kinda iffy about the VTC & D3, because I'd need carry 18650s & get a charger.

Now on the other hand, if there was a MOD with the eVic/Joytech chip , or Yihi SX150, and a 26650 bat .. yes!

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Now on the other hand, if there was a MOD with the eVic/Joytech chip , or Yihi SX150, and a 26650 bat .. yes!

you must be speaking of the new realease by Vapor Flask
Vapor Flask (Vape Forward) has teamed up with Wismec (Joyetech)
and produced several new devices

the one that caught my eye was the ‘Stout’
a petite 26650, very nice…

-

:thumbs:

iAmjudge

Sep 18, 2012
Il
I apologize if this is the wrong place to post. I'm seeing a bunch of conflicting arguments on the battery safety that the evic uses. I'm not an expert by any means but it seems like a lot of other mods also use lipo batteries.

Should I be more or less concerned with the safety of this mod compared to another device that doesn't use lipo batteries? If so, what mods don't use these batteries?

Thanks in advance.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Its essentially the same type you have by you all day. A cell phone battery! Its nothing more than a high power cell phone battery.

I believe it's safer overall. Its takes out all the guess work and learning for new peeps. You have no chance of buying the wrong battery and overloading it to a potentially hazardous condition.

No seperate chargers, swapping batteries, stuck with a dead battery no charger. Having loose batteries in your coat pocket light up and start to burn from being shorted. Used to call it hot pocket back in the day.

This is like your cell phone, any micro USB can charge, and those are everywhere. You won't find an 18650 charger in every (any) house in America. But a micro USB charger- yes!! .. unless they are full in apple and threw old one away.

Reactions: iAmjudge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread