Flavor West DIY flavor review

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Yes, do report back, I hope tastes as good as smells for you too..most do but some throw a curve ball...which white chocolate are you using? I like tfa' s but it's gotta age or I get that initial peppery thing from it...also mixes well with fw candy cane(I used to avoid mints at all times until this gem...very, very authentic true to taste)

I am using FW White Chocolate at 3-5% generally. I like it, but it isn't as creamy as I would like it to be. For me it has a bit of a powdery taste at times, but I am yet to let it steep for longer than 3 weeks, so I may be jumping the gun with judging it, idk. It hasn't been overly sweet either, which is part of the reason for trying it with the CBD.

There doesn't seem to be much of a choice when it comes to white chocolate, I have only seen TFA and FW versions of it, I went with FW because of a lack of DA/AP warning on e liquid recipes dot com, but that probably just means that FW have not disclosed the info about the flavor's content.

I don't have many FW flavours, but they have plenty that sound amazing. I have a few recipes steeping using their cinnamon churro, we don't get churros in the UK, but from the description I wish we did.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
OK, so I am testing the 2 week old mix with 3% Cake Batter Dip in...

The taste is pretty sweet (in an actual sweet way rather than an Eric Cartman style saying), despite it only being 3% it still is quite potent. I would describe the taste as being like a sweet version of the French 'All butter' biscuits (similar to a lighter shortcake), with an almond paste. I am not sure if it is due to some of the other elements in the mix, but I get a slight hint of aniseed at times too. I do also taste a bit of garlic on the exhale, but I will attribute that to the curry I had last night.
I will leave the mix for another couple of weeks to see if anything else comes through, or whether it calms down. At the moment the buttery taste is strong with it, maybe a little too strong for this mix.

The room I am vaping in does smell great though.

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
Fw white chocolate didn't taste like much of anything really for me, maybe as you said powdery...I'm trying to think how long I aged my cbd(stuff I mix usually 1-2 weeks, I should start dating things)...I got no butter or garlic notes in mine, LOL the garlic might be your curry lingering...they are popular across the pond? I would think it would be aged enough at 1-2 weeks though? I wonder if the mild anise note comes from what I detect as animal crackers? Is your mix just white chocolate and cbd?

Happy Thanksgiving fw "posters"!!!

Last edited:

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Fw white chocolate didn't taste like much of anything really for me, maybe as you said powdery...I'm trying to think how long I aged my cbd(stuff I mix usually 1-2 weeks, I should start dating things)...I got no butter or garlic notes in mine, LOL the garlic might be your curry lingering...they are popular across the pond? I would think it would be aged enough at 1-2 weeks though? I wonder if the mild anise note comes from what I detect as animal crackers? Is your mix just white chocolate and cbd?

Happy Thanksgiving fw "posters"!!!

Yeah, FW White Choc is not the strongest flavour, I would like FA to make a white choc...

I think Curry is pretty much the national dish over here, how popular is it over there?

No, the mix has a few other things in there, mainly strawberry and cream (FA). So, it may be the other elements accentuating the buttery notes, but it is the only bakery type flavour in there. I would think that the buttery notes/almond biscuit (cookie) is what you are detecting as the animal crackers, the anise possibly being the sprinkle type things? I will test the single flavour mix in a few days and hopefully that will clear things up (for me at least).

I am a bit OCD about my recipes, all are written down in a book, dates mixed, nicotine strength and then space for notes.

I like to give mixes the best chance (ever the optimist), so I tend to leave them 4 weeks before casting judgement. Plus I think my previous batch of nicotine wasn't the best (had a cookie/Acetyl pyrazine taste to it, turned slightly fishy towards the end of the bottle), so I had to wait for the flavourings to finally manage to overpower the base.

I might get shot for saying this*, but Happy Thanksgiving!

*if we didn't have strict gun laws here

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Yeah, FW White Choc is not the strongest flavour, I would like FA to make a white choc...

I think Curry is pretty much the national dish over here, how popular is it over there?

No, the mix has a few other things in there, mainly strawberry and cream (FA). So, it may be the other elements accentuating the buttery notes, but it is the only bakery type flavour in there. I would think that the buttery notes/almond biscuit (cookie) is what you are detecting as the animal crackers, the anise possibly being the sprinkle type things? I will test the single flavour mix in a few days and hopefully that will clear things up (for me at least).

I am a bit OCD about my recipes, all are written down in a book, dates mixed, nicotine strength and then space for notes.

I like to give mixes the best chance (ever the optimist), so I tend to leave them 4 weeks before casting judgement. Plus I think my previous batch of nicotine wasn't the best (had a cookie/Acetyl pyrazine taste to it, turned slightly fishy towards the end of the bottle), so I had to wait for the flavourings to finally manage to overpower the base.

I might get shot for saying this*, but Happy Thanksgiving!

*if we didn't have strict gun laws here
Thank you, & Happy Thanksgiving, DE!

Reactions: DoubleEwe

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I don't think curry popular over here...not in my area, not like UK...I'm working today so hoping I can get wawa hoagie today actually...or leftovers for sandwiches...sigh, my pickings likely slim today :(

We will save you a plate out here in California.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Over the last 24hrs I tested out the single flavour mix (Cake Batter Dip @7%) and I am unsure about it in all honesty.
I went through about 7ml of it, but I wont be making a single flavour mix of it again. I find it to be too sweet to have on its own, it may be good in some recipes, I can see myself using it in low percentages, but not as a main flavour.

The flavours I tasted (after minimal steep, 3-4 days) in order of strongest to weakest:
Vanilla
Almond
Coconut

The taste after a while reminded my of when I had put too much vanilla in a mix (or as a child mistakenly trying neat vanilla essence thinking it would just be a big amount of awesome vanilla goodness), very very sweet, it passes being a vanilla taste and becomes just a sickly sweetness. The almond part is good, somewhere between ground almond and marzipan, delightful. The coconut is more of a hint, which I would assume is to add to the sort of creamy feel. I did not taste butter this time, nor much of a creaminess, they might come through with a longer steep, or it may have just been down to the combination of flavours in my other recipe.
I did get occasional biscuit (cookie) taste, but not distinctly enough to mention on its own, as I could not discern whether it was simply part of the almond taste or not.

The smell of the juice is still amazing though, I may just put it in a diffuser or something instead of vaping it. (Anyone who works as a realtor should use this to scent their properties)

I will leave the remaining 3ml for a while longer so I can see how it changes with a decent steep.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Over the last 24hrs I tested out the single flavour mix (Cake Batter Dip @7%) and I am unsure about it in all honesty.
I went through about 7ml of it, but I wont be making a single flavour mix of it again. I find it to be too sweet to have on its own, it may be good in some recipes, I can see myself using it in low percentages, but not as a main flavour.

The flavours I tasted (after minimal steep, 3-4 days) in order of strongest to weakest:
Vanilla
Almond
Coconut

The taste after a while reminded my of when I had put too much vanilla in a mix (or as a child mistakenly trying neat vanilla essence thinking it would just be a big amount of awesome vanilla goodness), very very sweet, it passes being a vanilla taste and becomes just a sickly sweetness. The almond part is good, somewhere between ground almond and marzipan, delightful. The coconut is more of a hint, which I would assume is to add to the sort of creamy feel. I did not taste butter this time, nor much of a creaminess, they might come through with a longer steep, or it may have just been down to the combination of flavours in my other recipe.
I did get occasional biscuit (cookie) taste, but not distinctly enough to mention on its own, as I could not discern whether it was simply part of the almond taste or not.

The smell of the juice is still amazing though, I may just put it in a diffuser or something instead of vaping it. (Anyone who works as a realtor should use this to scent their properties)

I will leave the remaining 3ml for a while longer so I can see how it changes with a decent steep.
sounds good I will try some starting at about 3% I think. I mix weak anyway and like sweet too.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
sounds good I will try some starting at about 3% I think. I mix weak anyway and like sweet too.

Yeah, I think 3% is a good place to be with it. Let us know your findings/opinion on it...

Sorry it didn't work out for you ww....you did a good review on your impression, very thorough, diy section needs more of these with different opinions...I still love it:)

I don't think it was awful or anything, just a lot stronger than I assumed it would be, and maybe too much vanilla for my tastes (at least at 7%).

I think it could work well in some recipes, so I have not written it off just yet, I have to vape some juices to empty some bottles before I put it to the test.
I may try out a combo of CBD, white chocolate, TFA DX Vanilla Cupcake and FA Marshmallow (to dampen down the vanilla slightly) to try to get a better overall cupcake taste.

Anyway, up next for me are some recipes using FW Cinnamon Churro.
Early tests (just adding some of it to existing mixes) have shown this flavour to be pretty weak, well initially it is strong in terms of cinnamon, but after 2-3days it disappears (around 3% Cinnamon Churro used).
I have a couple mixes with it in, so hopefully I will get some results worth sharing.

Anyone else used Cinnamon Churro with/without success? Notes?

Reactions: Kenna

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
12.5% in 70PG, 16% in 50/50, 20% in 65-70VG - same as the rest of FW flavors as designed

Thanks for the insight!
And I suppose for tasting notes I should just read the manufacturer's product descriptions?

All flavourings are not created equal, which is why I (and others) ask for peoples' actual experience with individual flavourings.
The same with taste, obviously we don't all taste things the same way, so it is good to have different opinions on what people actually detect in the flavouring.
The general aim is to find out what works for someone with similar taste perception to yourself. For example, Andrea & Bill's recipes will generally work for those that like flavours very strong (unsteeped), whereas HIC's recipes would suit those that prefer lighter flavours (unsteeped).
Steeping is another part of the equation, how the flavour changes over time etc etc.
I appreciate that you may not care to know any of the above, but personally I prefer to have more information at my disposal.

So, do you have any tasting notes for Cinnamon churro at the percentages you recommend? Steeping time?

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
Churro for me was a light dough with cinnamon sugar, I prefer fw cinnamon type flavors due to them be lighter on my tastebuds...I tried after 3 days in an Apple pie trial(need to start working on again), I do not like heavy spicy cinnamons that dominate...fa cinnamon Ceylon was too strong for me even at low %'s...it's pretty accurate though, but I just prefer cinnamon sugar over cinnamon powder alone

Fw blueberry 15% solo...eh...no blueberries have worked well as I expect solo, tasted better with cap vc 1, will mix with tfa blueberry wild to support each other

Vanilla bean ice cream 15%-again might be a good mixer, solo like vanilla marshmallow with almost a mild hint of coconut, no peppery notes though for me

Butter pecan-15% well pretty tasty, sometimes reminds me of caramel popcorn thing a local store makes, pecan flavor is good for someone who shies away from strong/dry nut flavors, like I do, milder/softer than tfa' s pecan, a nice change of pace for me

Mixed at 30pg/70vg, "tootle puff" gear, rayon wick, aged over a week maybe 2

Also edited to add, with holidays coming up...fw candy cane...delicious flavor, amazing!!!!

Last edited:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Thanks for the insight!
And I suppose for tasting notes I should just read the manufacturer's product descriptions?

Baa baa baa

So, do you have any tasting notes for Cinnamon churro at the percentages you recommend? Steeping time?

No descriptions at their site.

Jason told me they designed all their flavors to work at the same percentages.
He said 15%. I found the % that I posted work best for me.

I suppose for tasting notes you should just try it and find what works best for ewe.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Churro for me was a light dough with cinnamon sugar, I prefer fw cinnamon type flavors due to them be lighter on my tastebuds...I tried after 3 days in an Apple pie trial(need to start working on again), I do not like heavy spicy cinnamons that dominate...fa cinnamon Ceylon was too strong for me even at low %'s...it's pretty accurate though, but I just prefer cinnamon sugar over cinnamon powder alone

Fw blueberry 15% solo...eh...no blueberries have worked well as I expect solo, tasted better with cap vc 1, will mix with tfa blueberry wild to support each other

Vanilla bean ice cream 15%-again might be a good mixer, solo like vanilla marshmallow with almost a mild hint of coconut, no peppery notes though for me

Butter pecan-15% well pretty tasty, sometimes reminds me of caramel popcorn thing a local store makes, pecan flavor is good for someone who shies away from strong/dry nut flavors, like I do, milder/softer than tfa' s pecan, a nice change of pace for me

Mixed at 30pg/70vg, "tootle puff" gear, rayon wick, aged over a week maybe 2

Also edited to add, with holidays coming up...fw candy cane...delicious flavor, amazing!!!!

Good post Baseball Mom!
I am doing the same thing with the Churro - making an apple pie (with custard). My recipe needs work though.

The butter pecan sounds like it might be a good addition to a sticky rice recipe, I will have to get some of that (if they ever stock it here).

Is the 'no peppery note' in reference to TFA's VBIC being peppery? That is what I found with it.

Good luck on the Candy Cane, have you tried it with the white chocolate yet?

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
No descriptions at their site.

Jason told me they designed all their flavors to work at the same percentages.
He said 15%. I found the % that I posted work best for me.

I suppose for tasting notes you should just try it and find what works best for ewe.

Has anyone ever told you that you should become a restaurant critic...

I am not sure what the point of this thread is, if not to express OPINIONS on FW flavourings?

Yes, in theory everyone should try every flavouring available, but in reality most of us like to hear opinions/reviews first, especially when we all know that each manufacturer has their good flavourings and their not so good flavourings.

I am glad that 15% across the board works for you, it certainly would make mixing life easier if that was true for me too.

Reactions: Kenna

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
Good post Baseball Mom!
I am doing the same thing with the Churro - making an apple pie (with custard). My recipe needs work though.

The butter pecan sounds like it might be a good addition to a sticky rice recipe, I will have to get some of that (if they ever stock it here).

Is the 'no peppery note' in reference to TFA's VBIC being peppery? That is what I found with it.

Good luck on the Candy Cane, have you tried it with the white chocolate yet?
Eh, I don't know if butter pecan would fit in with sticky rice, not imo but, but, but you could try...Yes, I mix candy cane with tfa white chocolate, and a little sweetener...i like it, I don't add any milk or dark chocolates/cocoas though...and age it since I get pepper from that (wc not candy cane)too(papaya and pumpkin also...I think I'm sensitive to some flavor molecule maybe with all this pepper I get....after aging, pepper goes away)(and it's only been with tfa flavors so far) someone (cliffy) was working on mochi on tfa thread a bit ago, I lost my mango sticky rice trial(hubs took ???)...still trying to figure it out...sigh, but get easily distracted with other recipes frequently

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread