Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
In fact, I haven't been able to make a cheesecake with TFA and I've tried many times. Nor, for that matter, have I seen a good DIY cheesecake, though there must be one somewhere.

I don't know Bill, I have always enjoyed your 30% Bill's Famous Cheesecake. You did that with all TFA; didn't you? :D

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I don't know Bill, I have always enjoyed your 30% Bill's Famous Cheesecake. You did that with all TFA; didn't you? :D
Thank you and good to know. I don't believe I ever posted that recipe in this forum, though it did make it to the dropbox, as it was a TFA recipe, I believe. All I can say is that I was never satisfied with the cheesecake at the time, and it was an early recipe attempt for me. Perhaps I shall revisit some day, given the forum response. I know a lot more today about achieving thickness and richness in recipes, that I always thought was missing in my cheesecakes. I thank you for the feedback. I think that the recipe needs more marshmallow and egginess for flavor, richness and thickness. Perhaps we can have a cheesecake vapathon, with members submitting their efforts, as we have done in the past. Might get me back into the vape lab....been a busy year for me. I'm open to discussion. Happy vaping one and all! :toast::D

:thumb: :vapor:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I mixed some of the milkshake base last night and used it as a base at 12% along with some strawberry and like it better than I did than using the whole recipe and trying to add strawberry.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    I mixed some of the milkshake base last night and used it as a base at 12% along with some strawberry and like it better than I did than using the whole recipe and trying to add strawberry.
    Sure, whatever works is the way we do it. For me, the vanilla base is spot on at about 25%. I've added fruits with flavoring as high as 40% to get the mix I wanted, which included intense flavoring and depth. When I called this juice a base, naturally, a lot of folks thought it should be used as such and then started diluting it, which is not necessary. The reason the percentages get so high is because of the complexity of the flavorings, particularly when we add the fruits to the mix. But, as is often the case, sometimes less is more, and we simply like what we like! There's no one right way, and tweaking recipes is the name of the game. Good luck! :toast: :D

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    When I tried it full strength first I felt like I could taste the dulce too much. I think I'm close to what I like on the base percentage but need to decrease the strawberry a little. I kinda went overboard on the strawberry this time since the first time I felt like I didn't taste it enough. I need to order some other strawberry flavors to mix instead of always going with straight strawberry ripe.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
    Jun 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Been a lurker for months just reading up and trying to learn how to mix. I have been doing pretty good with tobacco vapes but other flavors have been hit or miss (mostly miss). I have to say Bills Milkshake base is fantastic; just what I was looking for minus the koolada (it messes with my throat, too bad cause I'd like to have the cooling effect). I mixed it (Bill's milkshake base) with 5% DX banana cream and it became an adv for me.

However, once I ran out of vanilla bean ice cream, I substituted with vanilla bean gelato at the same 10% along with the 5% DX banana cream. It tastes almost like banana pudding. Another ADV for me.

Being adventurous, I then mixed up the base with 10% vanilla swirl instead of vanilla bean ice cream and added 5% caramel mocha from HS with 2% ice cream from HS and got myself a darn good coffee vape. I know it's a TFA thread but that was the only coffee like flavor I had.

I always tried to stay away from sweetener which left most of my mixes wanting. Never would have thought to use marshmallow or dulce de leche either. Would not have thought to add coffee with vanilla swirl either. However, after reading this thread I'm learning to try other flavors to put into mixes to bring out flavors and add body to my mixes. My DIY experience has improved greatly cause of this thread. Thanks!

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    Been a lurker for months just reading up and trying to learn how to mix. I have been doing pretty good with tobacco vapes but other flavors have been hit or miss (mostly miss). I have to say Bills Milkshake base is fantastic; just what I was looking for minus the koolada (it messes with my throat, too bad cause I'd like to have the cooling effect). I mixed it (Bill's milkshake base) with 5% DX banana cream and it became an adv for me.

However, once I ran out of vanilla bean ice cream, I substituted with vanilla bean gelato at the same 10% along with the 5% DX banana cream. It tastes almost like banana pudding. Another ADV for me.

Being adventurous, I then mixed up the base with 10% vanilla swirl instead of vanilla bean ice cream and added 5% caramel mocha from HS with 2% ice cream from HS and got myself a darn good coffee vape. I know it's a TFA thread but that was the only coffee like flavor I had.

I always tried to stay away from sweetener which left most of my mixes wanting. Never would have thought to use marshmallow or dulce de leche either. Would not have thought to add coffee with vanilla swirl either. However, after reading this thread I'm learning to try other flavors to put into mixes to bring out flavors and add body to my mixes. My DIY experience has improved greatly cause of this thread. Thanks!
    Great post! Many thanks, and great recipes too! Welcome to the Forum and DIY'ing. Happy vaping!
    :toast: :D

SailCat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 10, 2009
    Beaverton, OR
    www.SailCat.com
    The one I've been using just says graham cracker clear on the bottle.

As Bill's Magic Vapor connoted, they are two separate flavorings which will impart different huances to your e-liquid creations.

I've just gotta spend more time with the fine minds here. :wub:

Simply Red

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I'm here, when I'm here
    Okay, folks. I need help with my simpleton way of thinking. I saw someone mentioned earlier about using a scale. I've been racking my brain and trying to figure out "For what??" :blink: Just trying to wrap my head around the concept. When I mix, I'm mixing a "volume" of eliquid not a "weight" and I use this calculator...

DIY E-Liquid Calculator Ten Flavors Plus PG/VG Adjusting

Additionally, I measure with syringes graduated down to 0.01ml with great success. Accuracy, of course, is in the hands of the operator. I think I do pretty good. :D

Can someone help me understand? Thanks! :thumbs:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    Okay, folks. I need help with my simpleton way of thinking. I saw someone mentioned earlier about using a scale. I've been racking my brain and trying to figure out "For what??" :blink: Just trying to wrap my head around the concept. When I mix, I'm mixing a "volume" of eliquid not a "weight" and I use this calculator...

Additionally, I measure with syringes graduated down to 0.01ml with great success. Accuracy, of course, is in the hands of the operator. I think I do pretty good. :D

Since volume and weight are integrally related in the metric system, it's really quite easy. I use the EJuiceMeUp Calculator, and it has a weight calculator now, I believe and explains exactly how to use it here:

eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

Good luck! :toast: :D

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2015
    Santee,San Diego

I think that boils down to what works for you! For me converting from liquid units to weight makes me go "HUH?". For me it's easier to stay in the measurement units that my supplies are sold in for others maybe not so much. Also most of the recipes that I've seen are in ml's.:vapor:

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2015
    Santee,San Diego
    Since volume and weight are integrally related in the metric system, it's really quite easy. I use the EJuiceMeUp Calculator, and it has a weight calculator now, I believe and explains exactly how to use it here:

Good luck! :toast: :D

So does that mean it's 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other with metric units? And doesn't the weight per volume affect your #'s? because it seems like 1ml of pg is going to weigh less than 1ml of vg.

Simply Red

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I'm here, when I'm here
    So does that mean it's 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other with metric units? And doesn't the weight per volume affect your #'s? because it seems like 1ml of pg is going to weigh less than 1ml of vg.

I would think that would apply to the mix of nic one buys as well. I used to get 100mg/50PG/50VG. Now, I buy 100mg/0PG/100VG. A lot of variables unless, the calc has a way of taking that into account.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    The people who use weight do the conversions which are quite easy, and the calculator makes it all really easy. Rather than explain it all again, I refer you to the website I posted earlier:

While I don't use weight 99% of the time, I do own a scale and have used it. Since most recipes I post and see are in PERCENTAGES, weight is not much more complicated than volume. As mentioned, it really does seem to come down to just how accurate one wants to be. Generally, weight will be more accurate, but when working with liquids, particularly heavy, viscous liquids, we don't get the all the material into the containers anyway, so I find volume easier, and also use syringes, and do not worry whatsoever about the miniscule amounts left in beakers, syringes, etc. Close works great for DIY, and I recommend it, though some prefer the weightier methods. To each their own.

I'm must more interested in getting done and saving time, and making it easy and quick, than practically anything else. Once you get a feel for mixing, you can be off quite a bit and still make delicious juices, as long as you generally keep mixing ratios in line by mixing consistently. All I'm going to say....recommend the website posted for further information. Happy Vaping! :toast: :D

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    I would think that would apply to the mix of nic one buys as well. I used to get 100mg/50PG/50VG. Now, I buy 100mg/0PG/100VG. A lot of variables unless, the calc has a way of taking that into account.
    Sure, but once you have a scale, you're going to know the volumetric weight of PG, Nicotine, PG, flavoring, etc. in about ten minutes, and then you can use weight in the formulations. Pretty easy actually. Again, recommend the website:

For further information! :toast: :D

Reactions: Kenna

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2015
    Santee,San Diego
    Hi everyone! Just got my DIY kit from heartland vapes last week so I'm really new to this stuff! What I've found is that I really can't get any flavor out of my Peach or Mango TFA flavors.Tried a test batch (first batch ever) at 20%, 15% peach 5%mango and it tasted like plain VG! No decernable flavors at all! So I went for a full 30 ml 50/50 6mg batch with 30% flavor, 20% peach 10% mango. Heat steeped at about 135deg. for 2 hrs shaking every 15 mins.. let cool capped off and let set in dark box for 4 days opening, airing, and shaking every day. Still very little joy at all. My other three (blueberry, black cherry, & graham cheesecake) seem to have really good flavor with the black cherry being the strongest.
    I love peach mango! The girl at the B&M I go to couldn't or wouldn't tell me anything about their recipe! HELP ME!:(:vapor:

P.S. I bought some VZ concentrate flavors to see if they help.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    I appreciate the mixing by weight thing. Especially in larger volumes, but I mix as low as .1 ml of some flavorings in a 30 ml batch.
    Nothing against those who use weight but for the foreseeable future I will mix by volume. I will be moving up to 120 ml batches on my ADV types but for now it will be by volume.
    Bottles on order, along with some unicorn bottles.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread