Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
I definitely checked it out from hearing your posts, I fear it may be too open and I cant like that wrist band thing. But the feed is a great design. Its up on the top of my list.
With only two airholes it's still alot more open then a FeV with no airscrew. Just so you know.
Frankly I was kinda sceptical about the whole "Rayon wicks to where it's the most dense" theory, but after having to rewick my verticals in the Aromamizer, I'm sold on it. I was getting dry-ish hits, so I inspected my wicks. The bottom was nicely saturated, and when I pulled the wick I noticed that I could pull it out easily (too easy) until I reached the tails.
The rest of my wick was dry-ish, the tails obviously drew liquid away from the coil or didnt feed to begin with.
Rewicked and thinned alot more, working perfectly now.

Forgive me, mighty Rayon god, for not thinning properly.

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
My aromamizer is hitting proper! Dont even care right now about trying the Cthulhu V2 I got in a few days ago or wasting my time trying to get the Crius not to leak, this thing is absolutely chucking clouds at just 30 watts.(with rayon, 26G Kanthal 0.7 ohm dual coil)
I have been limited the last couple days to just a Sigelei 30W mini but got my new box in the mail today so finally get to see how well this aromamizer performs at higher wattages :)

I think I'll take it up to around 50-100 watts, depending on how hot it might get and see how wonderful the clouds can get while maintaining the flavor.

My uncle recently gave me some Ni80 prebuilt 0.5 ohm Coils that he uses for drippers that I think would work even better in the Aromamizer than Kanthal so think I'll try that with Rayon.

Also gave me this really nice Egyptian Cotton called Drago. The flavor is supposedly insanely good but believe the Rayon is much better for clouds and will last longer. I wanna say the Drago is better for Drippers cause I havent heard of anyone using it in tanks so when I do try it out it would probably be in the Aromamizer since everything else I have is a traditional RTA.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Frankly I was kinda sceptical about the whole "Rayon wicks to where it's the most dense" theory, but after having to rewick my verticals in the Aromamizer, I'm sold on it. I was getting dry-ish hits, so I inspected my wicks. The bottom was nicely saturated, and when I pulled the wick I noticed that I could pull it out easily (too easy) until I reached the tails.
The rest of my wick was dry-ish, the tails obviously drew liquid away from the coil or didnt feed to begin with.
Rewicked and thinned alot more, working perfectly now.

Forgive me, mighty Rayon god, for not thinning properly.

Sold!

Thanks for the feed back zakillah. We need these reports coming in.. to coroberate my story. Lol:toast:

Sceptical, oh man.. lol:lol:.

I don't make this stuff up. Lol

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
My aromamizer is hitting proper! even care right now about trying the Cthulhu V2 I got in a few days ago or wasting my time trying to get the Crius not to leak, this thing is absolutely chucking clouds at just 30 watts.(with rayon, 26G Kanthal 0.7 ohm dual coil)
I have been limited the last couple days to just a Sigelei 30W mini but got my new box in the mail today so finally get to see how well this aromamizer performs at higher wattages :)

I think I'll take it up to around 50-100 watts, depending on how hot it might get and see how wonderful the clouds can get while maintaining the flavor.

My uncle recently gave me some Ni80 prebuilt 0.5 ohm Coils that he uses for drippers that I think would work even better in the Aromamizer than Kanthal so think I'll try that with Rayon.

Also gave me this really nice Egyptian Cotton called Drago. The flavor is supposedly insanely good but believe the Rayon is much better for clouds and will last longer. I wanna say the Drago is better for Drippers cause I havent heard of anyone using it in tanks so when I do try it out it would probably be in the Aromamizer since everything else I have is a traditional RTA.

Well man you may be in a good place if you want to settle in and relax with your vape for a while. You got something that works perfect for you, you may not need anything else...

Yeah let us know how insanely good drago tastes.... after using Rayon for a while.. inquiring minds would want to know.

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
Now that I think of it, I actually did try the Drago briefly on Thanksgiving in my Billow V1. It made Loranns Watermelon seem gourmet LOL

At the time though I only had 30 watts on my Sigelei Mini to use it with.

As of right now, I wicked the Aromamizer with Rayon because Im trying Ni80 wire for the first time and need a wick im more familiar with...

One thing I did notice is that the Egyptian Cotton doesnt burn as easy or get as hot as regular cotton. Its extremely absorbent and you need more wattage than regular cotton, similar to Rayon but you may need even more power. I've only seen people using the Drago in RDA's but there is all these RDTAs coming out on the market that all of us who prefer tanks could use :)

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Sold!

Thanks for the feed back zakillah. We need these reports coming in.. to coroberate my story. Lol:toast:

Sceptical, oh man.. lol:lol:.

I don't make this stuff up. Lol
I did start thinning as soon as I read it here, though.
Wasnt sceptical like "it doesnt work that way" more as in "why the hell would it behave that way".
The wick in the Aromamizer wasnt on purpose, thinning the tails on mounted verticals is a pita and I simply got lazy.

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
I am getting OK clouds right now with the Rayon I think the juice I made just doesnt vape well. This happened before something about TFA Cinnamon Red Hots If I use a little too much... I tried something different with the flavor made this Atomic Cinnacide Clone recipe...

I had bought this flavor a few times from TastyVapor, doesnt taste exactly like it but close. Overall the Rayon works great though with every type of flavoring Ive tried. Even heavy flavoring like Cinnamon Red Hots that doesnt mix very well with VG still gets me decent enough clouds. Seems to work pretty good with Nichrome Wire 80 as far as I can tell. Have to try the Ni80 combo with Rayon with more vapeable juice, cuz this Cinnacide albeit tasty really doesnt atomize well enough to be an ADV.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Hi west.

Dry hit, or dryish hits, at higher power or longer draw is the #1 sign of a wick that is too loose in the coil.

That would be the first place I'd check. It should be tight and in full contact if you push on it a gap shouldn't be left at the edge of the coil. You probably just need a little more rayon in there... If not, then see if the coil has a hot leg or hotspot. If not then you may have not thinned the Tails enough when needed. Also don't block off the feed holes so much like you would with cotton. There's also the possibility your power is too high for your air flow.

Last edited:

ahwest

Sep 30, 2013
san jose, ca
Thanks JeremyR.

My wick at the coil is very tight, I feel more rayon is better form my past experience, that shouldn't be an issue.
So I was told to try running rayon through the coil all way the to the holes outside of the RBA cover sticking about 2mm wick out. When I worked on this build, I found that there's only one side of burn?

IMG_4706.JPG

It seems the spaced coil isn't reliable as touched coil, at least it's not working well for me ever since I switched to spaced coil......so I also tried running wick through the coil to the cover holes, still getting dry hit...... so frustrating...

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Thanks JeremyR.

My wick at the coil is very tight, I feel more rayon is better form my past experience, that shouldn't be an issue.
So I was told to try running rayon through the coil all way the to the holes outside of the RBA cover sticking about 2mm wick out. When I worked on this build, I found that there's only one side of burn?

IMG_4706.JPG

It seems the spaced coil isn't reliable as touched coil, at least it's not working well for me ever since I switched to spaced coil......so I also tried running wick through the coil to the cover holes, still getting dry hit...... so frustrating...

Thanks for the pic!

Looks like way too much tail, Do Not block the holes with the Wick. The dark side has a thicker tail that's why its discoloring.

Do not block the holes. All that does is plug the holes = dry hit on Rayon... thats for cotton.. Its not specifically the spaced coil causing the issue.

Take siccors to that right now, cut the Tails like this /***\

(It looks like it could be overstuffed if you've vaped 3-4ml through that Wick and its settled in.... Or do you have it pushed up like that... I remember you did mention fluffing it out..)

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Before -

After -

Try it don't deny it. :)

With Tails like that I could go 40-50w no problem. Probably much more if the air flow is there.

Oh the discoloration, now looking at it further, I'm saying is from wick touching the chamber wall.. and that's condensate from the camber collecting on top. Your vaping it with that side tilted toward you mouth, right? You typically do not want the Wick touching the chamber wall or you will get that.

Yes its all backwards to the way you do cotton.

Last edited:

ahwest

Sep 30, 2013
san jose, ca
Before -

After -

Try it don't deny it. :)

With Tails like that I could go 40-50w no problem. Probably much more if the air flow is there.

Oh the discoloration, now looking at it further, I'm saying is from wick touching the chamber wall.. and that's condensate from the camber collecting on top. Your vaping it with that side tilted toward you mouth, right? You typically do not want the Wick touching the chamber wall or you will get that.

Yes its all backwards to the way you do cotton.

I tried Pancake wicking earlier today... first attempt, tons of spit back.... second attempt, i used more rayon at the tails, less spit back... now that I'm looking at the pic you edited, it's pretty similar, I'm going to do a third attempt with what you suggested.... and you are right I'm vaping it with that side tilted =)

Thanks a lot for the tips JeremyR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread