New to vaping - can you get liquid with no flavour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
New to vaping. Just started with a Green Apple flavour a week ago but it's really sickly/sweet and makes me feel a little nauseous to smoke it after a long session. Are there any liquids that have no flavour at all? Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions of some nice flavours that aren't so sweet and fruity for me to try? :)

Reactions: TraceyS

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Unflavored is very not bad, and I find myself vaping it pretty frequently. You didn't specify, but if you're using 3, 6, 12 or 18mg liquid, you can get it dirt cheap right HERE (it's even on sale through tomorrow), as long as you're not too picky about PG/VG ratio. If you find it acceptable, you can save even more money buying a high-strength nic base (such as 100mg/mL) and mixing it down to the strength you want (plain PG and VG are widely available, even at the same site I've linked).

You can also use unflavored e-liquid to dilute your sickly-sweet green apple and see if it works better. Try cutting it in half.

On the flip side, if you don't like it unflavored, that site also sells concentrated flavorings. You can get some of that and use it to spike your unflavored liquid a little at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roxyco

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
New to vaping. Just started with a Green Apple flavour a week ago but it's really sickly/sweet and makes me feel a little nauseous to smoke it after a long session. Are there any liquids that have no flavour at all? Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions of some nice flavours that aren't so sweet and fruity for me to try? :)
The short answer is DIY, do it yourself. There are a bunch of good reasons to mix at home besides control of flavor. I started DIY a few months ago and wish I'd started it much sooner. After a bit of practice and confidence building it's a 15 minute job to mix a batch.

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
The short answer is DIY, do it yourself. There are a bunch of good reasons to mix at home besides control of flavor. I started DIY a few months ago and wish I'd started it much sooner. After a bit of practice and confidence building it's a 15 minute job to mix a batch.
Thanks sofarsogood! How would I go about mixing my own liquid? Could you send me a link to help me a little more? Thanks! :)

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
Unflavored is very not bad, and I find myself vaping it pretty frequently. You didn't specify, but if you're using 3, 6, 12 or 18mg liquid, you can get it dirt cheap right HERE (it's even on sale through tomorrow), as long as you're not too picky about PG/VG ratio. If you find it acceptable, you can save even more money buying a high-strength nic base (such as 100mg/mL) and mixing it down to the strength you want (plain PG and VG are widely available, even at the same site I've linked).

You can also use unflavored e-liquid to dilute your sickly-sweet green apple and see if it works better. Try cutting it in half.

On the flip side, if you don't like it unflavored, that site also sells concentrated flavorings. You can get some of that and use it to spike your unflavored liquid a little at a time.
So it's okay to add just regular water to my liquid in order to dilute it? Thank you man00ver! :)

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Thanks sofarsogood! How would I go about mixing my own liquid? Could you send me a link to help me a little more? Thanks! :)
I don't know what you should do. What I did is get a bottle of nic from myfreedomsmokes. It was 100mg strength and cost $50. I divided it into 4 250ml amber glass bottles and keep it in the freezer. I also bought a liter each of pg and vg from them but there are probably cheaper ways to buy it. They sell flavors that are designed to be used stand alone, you don't have to start with elaborate recipes. I will probably never mix more than one flavoring in a batch. You want an assortment of plastic syringes for measuring the flavoring and nic. I mix a 220 ml batch once a month so I have a couple of bottles that size with spouts and some 18 ml dropper bottles for refilling. For measuring the PG and VG I use a 100 ml erlenmeyer flask. Finally you need a mixing calculator. I paid a couple dollars for one that works on my android phone called liquix. It sounds more complicated than it is.

The payoff is the control you want and it's inexpensive. My cost of materials for a year supply is about $50. The 1 liter bottle of nic has 100,000 mg of nic. A pack of cigarettes has 20mg of nic and costs about 6 dollars. If the nic in the 1 liter bottle was priced the same as the nic in the cigarettes it would cost $30,000. 20mg of nic in liquid form costs one penny. If you vaped 20 mg per day the bottle has enough nic to last 13 years. It's a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
So it's okay to add just regular water to my liquid in order to dilute it? Thank you man00ver! :)

First, you're welcome! Secondly, no, water is not a good diluent for e-liquid. It's OK to use as a thinner--for instance if you have a high-VG liquid that's too thick to wick properly in a smaller tank--but only in minute quantities (like a couple drops of distilled water in a 30mL bottle). I was suggesting that you could use unflavored e-liquid (a standard mixture of PG, VG and nicotine...just without any flavoring added) as a diluent for your green apple e-liquid, to tone it down a bit. If you mixed in unflavored in equal measure, you'd have an e-liquid with only half the original flavoring strength. You might be surprised to find that you like it better that way. Flavoring concentrates are potent, and it's not unusual for commercial e-liquids to have TOO MUCH flavor for some people.

DIY is fun too, and there's a good sub-forum under this one to learn all about it. Good advice above from @sofarsogood about starting with single flavorings instead of mixing up complicated recipes right off the bat. Capella makes several very good "recipe in one bottle" concentrates, such as Apple Pie, Banana Split, Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble, Boston Cream Pie and Cappuccino. I use all of those at a straight 10% of my mixes and find them very tasty.

Here's the online calculator I use for mixing:
DIY e-juice | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
I don't know what you should do. What I did is get a bottle of nic from myfreedomsmokes. It was 100mg strength and cost $50. I divided it into 4 250ml amber glass bottles and keep it in the freezer. I also bought a liter each of pg and vg from them but there are probably cheaper ways to buy it. They sell flavors that are designed to be used stand alone, you don't have to start with elaborate recipes. I will probably never mix more than one flavoring in a batch. You want an assortment of plastic syringes for measuring the flavoring and nic. I mix a 220 ml batch once a month so I have a couple of bottles that size with spouts and some 18 ml dropper bottles for refilling. For measuring the PG and VG I use a 100 ml erlenmeyer flask. Finally you need a mixing calculator. I paid a couple dollars for one that works on my android phone called liquix. It sounds more complicated than it is.

The payoff is the control you want and it's inexpensive. My cost of materials for a year supply is about $50. The 1 liter bottle of nic has 100,000 mg of nic. A pack of cigarettes has 20mg of nic and costs about 6 dollars. If the nic in the 1 liter bottle was priced the same as the nic in the cigarettes it would cost $30,000. 20mg of nic in liquid form costs one penny. If you vaped 20 mg per day the bottle has enough nic to last 13 years. It's a pretty good deal.
Very helpful. All seems a little complicated for now, but I will keep this in mind - thank u! :thumb:

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
First, you're welcome! Secondly, no, water is not a good diluent for e-liquid. It's OK to use as a thinner--for instance if you have a high-VG liquid that's too thick to wick properly in a smaller tank--but only in minute quantities (like a couple drops of distilled water in a 30mL bottle). I was suggesting that you could use unflavored e-liquid (a standard mixture of PG, VG and nicotine...just without any flavoring added) as a diluent for your green apple e-liquid, to tone it down a bit. If you mixed in unflavored in equal measure, you'd have an e-liquid with only half the original flavoring strength. You might be surprised to find that you like it better that way. Flavoring concentrates are potent, and it's not unusual for commercial e-liquids to have TOO MUCH flavor for some people.

DIY is fun too, and there's a good sub-forum under this one to learn all about it. Good advice above from @sofarsogood about starting with single flavorings instead of mixing up complicated recipes right off the bat. Capella makes several very good "recipe in one bottle" concentrates, such as Apple Pie, Banana Split, Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble, Boston Cream Pie and Cappuccino. I use all of those at a straight 10% of my mixes and find them very tasty.

Here's the online calculator I use for mixing:
DIY e-juice | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
Thank you! Will definitely give this a go when I get my head around the whole vaping thing. I wanted to ask as well - is it normal that I'm still smoking the odd cigarette here and there. I've been vaping about 1 week but am finding it hard to completely quit smoking regular cigs. I have maybe 1 a day. Did you (or others) experience this? :unsure:

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015

Good idea, will give this a try if the problem continues. Would you possible suggest any other flavours that aren't on the fruity/sweet side? This might be the solution too!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Very helpful. All seems a little complicated for now, but I will keep this in mind - thank u! :thumb:
If you had never cooked a meal in your life you would say it sounds complicated. It's simple. You need a few things and very little practice. By your third batch you'll be a pro, you will save a lot of money, you'll have some nic stashed away in case the government tries to interfere.

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
If you had never cooked a meal in your life you would say it sounds complicated. It's simple. You need a few things and very little practice. By your third batch you'll be a pro, you will save a lot of money, you'll have some nic stashed away in case the government tries to interfere.
Very true! Thank you for all the help :blush:

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
I wanted to ask as well - is it normal that I'm still smoking the odd cigarette here and there. I've been vaping about 1 week but am finding it hard to completely quit smoking regular cigs. I have maybe 1 a day. Did you (or others) experience this? :unsure:

It's perfectly normal to continue smoking as you're getting started with vaping. When I first picked it up, I only intended to use it in some situations (having recently done business travel to a cold-weather city that didn't permit smoking in hotel rooms). No one was more surprised than I when I gave up the butts a few days later. But even if you just use it to cut down on cigarettes, you've done yourself a favor, and I'm sure there are some people who continue that way for years.

Would you possible suggest any other flavours that aren't on the fruity/sweet side?

I needed tobacco flavors in the beginning, even though finding one that satisfies isn't easy. The big early discovery for me was RY4, a hugely popular flavor profile that combines a primary tobacco taste with sweet elements of vanilla and caramel. There are hundreds of commercial versions, and any decent vapor shop will have an RY4 for you to try (I presume from your spelling that you're not in the US). For DIY, many people swear by "RY4 Double" concentrate from The Flavor Apprentice, used at 5-10%.

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
It's perfectly normal to continue smoking as you're getting started with vaping.

For DIY, many people swear by "RY4 Double" concentrate from The Flavor Apprentice, used at 5-10%.
Don't think I'm quite ready for DIY liquids just yet, still getting the hang of the regular liquids and how to use them! But thank you very much for this. Really comforting to know many experienced the same as me at the start! :)

Reactions: man00ver

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Thank you! Will definitely give this a go when I get my head around the whole vaping thing. I wanted to ask as well - is it normal that I'm still smoking the odd cigarette here and there. I've been vaping about 1 week but am finding it hard to completely quit smoking regular cigs. I have maybe 1 a day. Did you (or others) experience this? :unsure:

I kept smoking regular analog cigs for a while after I started vaping. I don't think that it's at all unusual that you are too. I stopped smoking analogs when I upped the nicotine content in my e juice to 18 mg. I had been vaping 12 mg. nicotine and I needed a higher nic percentage to stay off the analogs.

If you want to find a juice you like, go to a vapor shop and ask to try some of their e juice. Most vape shops allow you to try their liquids for free.

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
I kept smoking regular analog cigs for a while after I started vaping. I don't think that it's at all unusual that you are too. I stopped smoking analogs when I upped the nicotine content in my e juice to 18 mg. I had been vaping 12 mg. nicotine and I needed a higher nic percentage to stay off the analogs.

If you want to find a juice you like, go to a vapor shop and ask to try some of their e juice. Most vape shops allow you to try their liquids for free.
Great, thanks for this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread