Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Howsit Guys,those of you who make wooden mods and bond magnets in them,what adhesive do you use.I find epoxy a bit messy for this and prefer CA glue.I've tried most of whats available here in SA,with and without an accelerator and most if not all are useless! want to get some from your side and would appreciate some recommendations on brands.Thanks.

I use this stuff for magnets and other purposes. Strong as epoxy, though thinner; sets up fast and cures overnight.

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-13658...1447580265&sr=8-2&keywords=loctite+super+glue

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
Unfortunately there really aren't any one size fits all solutions when it comes to glues, though I guess if I had to pick one "desert island" glue, I'd go with JB Weld clear. It'll stick almost anything together once cured.

As far as solder goes, lead free rosin core will cover almost every need you'll have...but...soldering stainless steel can be very difficult and requires a lot more heat than your average iron can provide. Special fluxes help and you'll need silver solder. Most guys (myself included) try to avoid soldering SS.

This is an over simplification, but if you're just starting out, JB Weld and lead free rosin core will get you a long way.
Thank you for all the good info...

kevbow

Unregistered Supplier
May 27, 2009
CT
teatimeliquid.com
My Galatika Mod with a DNA 200. The DNA 40 just wasn't enough. The Twisted Messes was also modded to squonk.
HJlVCgp.jpg
2IVQ4Mk.jpg

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Hey guys, been some time I've posted but I do follow you every now and then and am always happy to see your new creations.

I finished a new squonker and figured you'd like to see some pics. This is a YiHi SX350J temp board squonker mod made exclusively for one of my Nuppin atties. The 510 fitting is sunk-in somewhat and the opening is only 20mm so it only takes small atties like the Nuppin (this was by choice).

Everything you see here is machined by hand and the biggest challenge I had was the squonk bottle configuration. I wanted to stay away from doors as they ruin (in my mind) the design so I had to come up with a way to remove the bottle easily since there is nowhere to grab it from to remove it. Similar mods I've seen have the user try to grab the bottle from the squonk hole and try to twist it out. This method really is a pain in the .... because if you finally do manage to get the bottle out then you have to get it back in (which is a feat in itself to find blindly the squonk tube). So I machined from delrin a new bottle cap which is the same diameter as the squonk tube and is fixed in there permanently. To overcome the bottle removal problem I machined (also from delrin) a bottle bottom cap which is bonded to the bottom of the bottle and has a metal tab that opens for easy unscrewing. Now the bottle can be refilled real easy by just grabbing the tab under it and unscrewing the whole bottle.

The battery cap was machined from stainless and then polished. The face plate and buttons are made from aluminum and the board is fixed behind the face plate.

This is the first time I use the SX350J board and I must say that its a great chip.

Here are a few shots before completion so you see the internal milling

This is the FD 510 which has been machined down to 19.8mm diameter

The internal cavity for the battery and the SX350J board

The battery tube. The battery cap you see in the first pictures screws into a ring that sits in this opening and connects the bat negative terminal. I didn't want to make a metal tube for the battery to save on weight so I just machined a ring (about 3/4" long out of stainless steel) I then cut threads into it on the lathe then machined a cap that screws into it. The ring was epoxied into the wood so the cap sit flush when fully screwed in.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Hey guys, been some time I've posted but I do follow you every now and then and am always happy to see your new creations.

I finished a new squonker and figured you'd like to see some pics. This is a YiHi SX350J temp board squonker mod made exclusively for one of my Nuppin atties. The 510 fitting is sunk-in somewhat and the opening is only 20mm so it only takes small atties like the Nuppin (this was by choice).

Everything you see here is machined by hand and the biggest challenge I had was the squonk bottle configuration. I wanted to stay away from doors as they ruin (in my mind) the design so I had to come up with a way to remove the bottle easily since there is nowhere to grab it from to remove it. Similar mods I've seen have the user try to grab the bottle from the squonk hole and try to twist it out. This method really is a pain in the .... because if you finally do manage to get the bottle out then you have to get it back in (which is a feat in itself to find blindly the squonk tube). So I machined from delrin a new bottle cap which is the same diameter as the squonk tube and is fixed in there permanently. To overcome the bottle removal problem I machined (also from delrin) a bottle bottom cap which is bonded to the bottom of the bottle and has a metal tab that opens for easy unscrewing. Now the bottle can be refilled real easy by just grabbing the tab under it and unscrewing the whole bottle.

The battery cap was machined from stainless and then polished. The face plate and buttons are made from aluminum and the board is fixed behind the face plate.

This is the first time I use the SX350J board and I must say that its a great chip.

Here are a few shots before completion so you see the internal milling

This is the FD 510 which has been machined down to 19.8mm diameter

The internal cavity for the battery and the SX350J board

The battery tube. The battery cap you see in the first pictures screws into a ring that sits in this opening and connects the bat negative terminal. I didn't want to make a metal tube for the battery to save on weight so I just machined a ring (about 3/4" long out of stainless steel) I then cut threads into it on the lathe then machined a cap that screws into it. The ring was epoxied into the wood so the cap sit flush when fully screwed in.

Beautiful mod captain, really exceptional job. Very clean look.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Very nice, Capt. Did you end up having to use any epoxy to secure the board? Was wondering how much of a pain it is to fit one of those boards.

The SX350J board has holes on it's sides so it can be secured with screws and spacers to the faceplate. Most mods I've seen that use it have holes drilled threw the faceplate and screws on the front face. I wanted a cleaner look without any screws on the faceplate so what I did is drill and tap the back of the faceplate so the screws aren't visible.

It is a bit of a pain to get the alignment right because if you don't the screen will end up looking wonky. I ended up making a template of the board and measuring about 20 times before I milled the faceplate.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Thanks muzichead, believe me it's not intentional that I don't build that much anymore but since I got my Pinch I've found that I'm so satisfied that I really don't need any other mods. This was just an experiment to try the SX350J board. I have a few more ideas I wanna try so you'll certainly see some more stuff in future.

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
Capt can you tell me how thick is the front ss plate that you milled for the wood mod? ..Also what adhesive did you used on the front plate? Have a few old boards laying around and what to use them for practice mods.... what wire gauge of copper single strand wire is used for negative contact and whats used for all others, positive and neg of drip cup, switches etc.....

Sorry for all the noob questions...

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Capt can you tell me how thick is the front ss plate that you milled for the wood mod? ..Also what adhesive did you used on the front plate? Have a few old boards laying around and what to use them for practice mods.... what wire gauge of copper single strand wire is used for negative contact and whats used for all others, positive and neg of drip cup, switches etc.....

Sorry for all the noob questions...

Ok let me try and answer all that for you. The face plate isn't SS, it's aluminum and it's about 3/16" (slightly less if I recall). I attached it with liquid metal epoxy (it's a 2 part made by JB Weld). Now as far as wiring any board I STRONGLY suggest you follow the wiring gauge the manufacturer recommends. Just download the specs and they'll tell you what thickness to use for each wire. I just wired my 510 connector and the battery with the same wires YiHi recommends.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Ok let me try and answer all that for you. The face plate isn't SS, it's aluminum and it's about 3/16" (slightly less if I recall). I attached it with liquid metal epoxy (it's a 2 part made by JB Weld). Now as far as wiring any board I STRONGLY suggest you follow the wiring gauge the manufacturer recommends. Just download the specs and they'll tell you what thickness to use for each wire. I just wired my 510 connector and the battery with the same wires YiHi recommends.
So much for a mech only guy ...

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
I will be attempting the undoable. A dna200 bf mod in a 1590A. Coming soon ...

Definitely curious to see how that one turns out,that's a tight space to work in haha.I barely squeezed 2 lipo's and a dna 30 in one.

Sorry I never got back on this one. My idea was a 2s lipo which would fit. Unfortunately got tied up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread