Status
Not open for further replies.

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
Here's what we're facing in trying to convince the people:... Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Clean Air KC, tobacco Free Kansas, tobacco Free Missouri, Tri-County Prevention, the Metropolitan Healthy Communities Coalition, the KCMO Health Commission, Healthy KC, American Cancer Society, American Lung Association, American Heart Association.... and so forth.

"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies."
--Oscar Wilde

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Here's what we're facing in trying to convince the people: a very well organized and financed campaign to SAVE THE CHEEEELDREN from the evils of nicotine addiction backed by the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Clean Air KC, tobacco Free Kansas, Tobacco Free Missouri, Tri-County Prevention, the Metropolitan Healthy Communities Coalition, the KCMO Health Commission, Healthy KC, American Cancer Society, American Lung Association, American Heart Association.... and so forth. They all cite junk science which "proves" that e-cigarettes are "unregulated," are dangerous because they target young people, keep people hooked on "addictive" nicotine, threaten to "re-normalize" tobacco use, and emit carcinogens, heavy metals and God knows what else.

I will be astonished if, in face of that well-oiled propaganda machine, a majority of voters could be persuaded that the indoor ban is actually harmful and an unwarranted intrusion on personal liberty--particularly the latter, which most people pay lip service to but don't actually act on unless the intrusion directly affects them.

Very good points. But a vote is better than politicians just blindly deciding
what is in our best interest. That's all I'm saying. Hopefully the people voting
will surprise you (us). Not sure if this will go to statewide vote or just in K.C.
area. I'm advocating down here in southern part of Ozarks. Keep fighting, don't
go down without a fight.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Absolutely. You can't get 100 signatures in K.C. something is
very wrong. Either the wrong people in charge of the petition or
the wrong approach to get signatures or ........ something is
very wrong.
If you read the article linked above, you will see that they had over 200 signatures, but the majority were invalid. How they could possibly be so careless is hard to imagine. I would have been glad to sign it, but they announced they had plenty of signatures already. All they had to do was make sure that the people signing were Kansas City Missouri residents. They could have collected hundreds more signatures simply by signing up people at vape shops. This illustrates how poorly organized we are compared to the opposition.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
If you read the article linked above, you will see that they had over 200 signatures, but the majority were invalid. How they could possibly be so careless is hard to imagine. I would have been glad to sign it, but they announced they had plenty of signatures already. All they had to do was make sure that the people signing were Kansas City Missouri residents. They could have collected hundreds more signatures simply by signing up people at vape shops. This illustrates how poorly organized we are compared to the opposition.

Yeah I should have said '100 valid signatures'. The signers needed to
be registered voters as well.

Reactions: LaraC

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I received this response from the mayor:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding Ordinance 150963, which will ban the use of e-cigarettes and vapor products in public, enclosed spaces in Kansas City.

Some citizens have asked that I veto this ordinance. While I was not present to vote on this piece of legislation, I do support the intent of the ordinance and the Council’s vote.

It is important to note that Ordinances 150963 is not an outright ban on e-cigarettes. They can still be purchased legally by anyone 21 years of age or older. E-cigarette users can still use these products in their homes and outdoors, much like traditional tobacco products.

There was significant support for this ordinance from a broad range of organizations, businesses and individuals throughout the entire process. And, as always, I and the Council must balance the needs of all of our citizens. In this case, we saw it as a public health issue and acted accordingly.

Again, I appreciate you contacting my office and engaging on this issue.

Sincerely,

7kfzAt_gsiqt1JYi1sMsy8XV7ZlaDVTj9W55rvY6JiTi8NIWq0T6S61daJGhhZDYfdTjyaZ79zUS0Dwe-oR3QaX3qUOrsmDAsWfGcZ8mOLMNBYwaA-KbiyLB0oqtbtW-gIX6K2BJ

Sylvester "Sly" James, Jr.

Of the 13 council members I emailed 2 weeks ago, this is only the second response to date. It's apparent that the council (with one exception) did not make a serious effort to inform itself on the issues and simply bowed to the propaganda and pressure of "a broad range of organizations." Of course, we're quite familiar with what organizations he's talking about.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
The city counsel of Kansas City consists mostly of liberal Democrats.

Sad but true, KC & St Louis are are Democratic strongholds and by the numbers can outvote the whole rest of the state on statewide or nationwide votes.

n this case, we saw it as a public health issue and acted accordingly.

I would be sending him back a letter with links to every truly scientific study out there and asking that they do the real research to determine it is a public health issue instead of blindly following the organizations that are funded and backed by big organizations that stand to lose money with every smoker that converts to vaping. We did it in Springfield. They included e-cigs in the initial smoking ban here. It took a year or so, but they came around and excluded them eventually from the ban. Course we have a much larger Republican and Independent base down here so the odds were better.

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast

This positively reeks of sabotage. :grr:

C'mon, one could gather at least 100 VALID signatures just by soliciting outside a few Price Choppers on a Saturday! :grr::grr::grr:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread