Carto replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckarette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wyoming
I've been vaping four years and have yet to move away from cartos on my reos. I bought a couple of rm2s from Rob to try on both of my reos and they are so different from what I'm used to. Not really feeling the love yet. One mod is dedicated to bwb conundrum with a 1.7 carto and a kick set at 9 watts (I think ). The other is for fruit flavors and is a 4.5 ohm carto run with two 3.2v LiFePo (AW) batteries stacked to run at 6v. Any suggestions on a good rba that would give close to the same experience? Clouds of vapor are not at all important, duplicating taste is more important. Problem is I don't know if I need less airflow or more, one coil or two, see what I mean? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: JC Okie

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
I've been vaping four years and have yet to move away from cartos on my reos. I bought a couple of rm2s from Rob to try on both of my reos and they are so different from what I'm used to. Not really feeling the love yet. One mod is dedicated to bwb conundrum with a 1.7 carto and a kick set at 9 watts (I think ). The other is for fruit flavors and is a 4.5 ohm carto run with two 3.2v LiFePo (AW) batteries stacked to run at 6v. Any suggestions on a good rba that would give close to the same experience? Clouds of vapor are not at all important, duplicating taste is more important. Problem is I don't know if I need less airflow or more, one coil or two, see what I mean? Any help would be much appreciated.

When it comes to flavor, I haven't experienced anything that beats an RM2. I can't speak to dual coils though. I can say that when I drilled the existing hole in my RM2's to the next size up, the flavor shines even more and I didn't feel as if I was sucking on a crimped straw.

What builds have you tried on the RM2's?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK

What gauge wire are you using? Do you like wrapping your own coils? Once you get it tuned it, I can't help but think you'll prefer the RM2 over any carto, hands down. I'm going to try to find the nifty chart I have that shows how many wraps of different wire gauges will yield certain ohms. Meanwhile, any information on what you've tried will help us get your vape tuned in.

I really think that once you get a coil that gives you the ohms you're used to, you'll totally love the RM2. It's one of the best little RBAs for flavor.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Agreed - the RM2 is a very, very good atty for flavour. For you, I wouldn't worry about lower resistance builds for now - something in the 1.5 - 1.8 ohm range with a single coil should work nicely.

There are a couple of good videos linked in the sticky section of this subforum that SuperX did to explain building for the RM2. Lots of sound advice in those in terms of coil making, mounting, and positioning. Essentially, though, the basic idea is to get the coil right at the edge of the deck and positioned directly at the air hole for height. It's amazing how even a little deviation from this affects the flavour with this atty. Once you get it dialled in, you'll know - the flavour will be top notch.

Now, in terms of air, the basic working philosophy is that the more you have, the bigger the clouds but the more muted the flavour, so for your preferences you should only think about getting more air if you feel the draw is too restrictive (which I don't think it should be, given that you're prolly a mouth-2-lung inhaler with the cartos). I'd say nail the coil positioning first before attempting air adjustments (which would require reaming the air hole on the RM2, so not something you could adjust back if you did).

It might take a little futzing, but there is no way that you should prefer the carto after getting the RM2 set up to your liking.

Some notes about how you're building might help us to target feedback more specifically, too, if you're up to it.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I actually never got an RM2, because aesthetically, I decided I wanted a Cyclone to accompany my first Reo.
And I moved there from carto-tanks, and immediately was happy.
Both the RM2 and Cyclone (stock cap) have a tight draw, and I think are a good natural progression from cartos - if you have an RM2, I'd suggest further experimentation with the coil, until you're getting flavor you like.
You might try different wick, too - I like japanese cotton, after trying everything else first - but it's personal, some people prefer "Ready-X-Wick" and some prefer Rayon, etc.
Unless you want more airflow, the RM2 is a good atty to work with as you figure out what WILL get you the flavor you want - but I think IT IS WORTH IT. I still vape a carto-tank some - but it does not attain the flavor I get from my rebuildables on a Reo.

Reactions: Robinowitz

buckarette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wyoming
Thanks for all of the help and encouragement. Here's what I have tried so far.
Fruits- 2 ohm 3mm coil, 28 guage kanthal, cotton wick, 3.7v aw 2200 mah battery. Easy to flood and everything tasted medicinal.
On the conundrum, same materials, but 1.7 ohm coil on the same battery. Tasted very muted. So I went back to my kick and 18490 battery. A little more like the carto, but a little less flavor than in used to.
How much clearance do I need between the deck and the coil? Would that change things?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Thanks for all of the help and encouragement. Here's what I have tried so far.
Fruits- 2 ohm 3mm coil, 28 guage kanthal, cotton wick, 3.7v aw 2200 mah battery. Easy to flood and everything tasted medicinal.
On the conundrum, same materials, but 1.7 ohm coil on the same battery. Tasted very muted. So I went back to my kick and 18490 battery. A little more like the carto, but a little less flavor than in used to.
How much clearance do I need between the deck and the coil? Would that change things?

Clearance between the deck and the coil.....the coil should be just high enough to be right in front of the air hole in the cap. Also the coil should be as close to the edge as it can be without touching the cap. Another thing that will affect the vape is the amount of cotton wick. Don't use too much. When you're wicking it, the cotton should be loose enough to side back and forth in the coil pretty easily. It will swell when it gets wet. Too much wick crammed in the coil will mute the flavor, and it won't wick well.

I can't even remember much about my carto/REO days, but with the RM2 you will need to squonk a little more often than with a carto. I usually only get two or three good vapes between squonks.

Last edited:

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Lol silly questions...

1) what kinda cotton are you using?

2) are your air holes positioned pointing at the coil when the top cap is on?

3) might wanna check your wicking technique

4) didcha wash out your atty?

The issues you've mentioned (tasting medicinal, muted) seem more an issue of technique and just operational stuff (you sound like you're new to rebuilding)

Using the wrong kinda cotton (random generic sketchy cotton balls) and/or stuffing too much cotton can easily cause muted or off flavor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robinowitz

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Clearance between the deck and the coil.....the coil should be just high enough to be right in front of the air hole in the cap. Also the coil should be as close to the edge as it can be without touching the cap. Another thing that will affect the vape is the amount of cotton wick. Don't use too much. When you're wicking it, the cotton should be loose enough to side back and forth in the coil pretty easily. It will swell when it gets wet. Too much wick crammed in the coil will mute the flavor, and it won't wick well.

I can't even remember much about my carto/REO days, but with the RM2 you will need to squonk a little more often than with a carto. I usually only get two or three good vapes between squonks.

The OP's build is on a 3mm form, so another option is to use a Scottish rolled cotton wick in it (there are videos on how easy it is to make them). As a long lung hitter the 3mm/rolled wick build is becoming my favorite build in some of my atty's for single/dual mono or parallel coils. These wicks use more cotton in a loose state that holds WAY more liquid and work very well when quite tight in the coil. The tails don't need to be long, just down to barely touching the deck.

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
Don't forget Papa's advice on the sticky about the RM2 by S-X-D. I could say it is required viewing; or, at least for me, it was required for me to the most out of the RM2. I am still using the RM2 and using the things learned in that short flick.

Totally agree, I watched every RM2 vid by SDX and the whole process was slow at first but so easy and painless. I am not one where things like this come easy either, as SuperX says if I can do it you can.

buckarette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wyoming
I haven't had time to play with the rm2s today, but I have done some thinking. I'm probably using too much wick, but at least it isn't cotton balls. I'm also probably leaving the trails too long. I was so caught up in having the air hole upright when I vape, I never considered where the hole was in relation to the coil.
You all are fantastic with your advice and suggestions that I think I have a chance to get this right.
I'm going to watch the Super T video next and go from there. I used his photo tutorial when I got these, but should have dug a little deeper into the stickies from the sounds of things.
Thank you all!

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I haven't had time to play with the rm2s today, but I have done some thinking. I'm probably using too much wick, but at least it isn't cotton balls. I'm also probably leaving the trails too long. I was so caught up in having the air hole upright when I vape, I never considered where the hole was in relation to the coil.
You all are fantastic with your advice and suggestions that I think I have a chance to get this right.
I'm going to watch the Super T video next and go from there. I used his photo tutorial when I got these, but should have dug a little deeper into the stickies from the sounds of things.
Thank you all!

Good luck, and let us know if you don't get it going just like you want it. We are full of advice and we love helping people get it fine-tuned just right. Once you get it going and you get used to wrapping coils, you'll never use another carto. Rebuildable attys and REOs are by far the best things that have happened to vaping in the five years I've been here.

Not to mention the money you can save over time by wrapping your own coils. Since I make all my own juice and wrap my own coils, I'm really vaping for (practically) free. Even my REOs have paid for themselves many times over.....and I can fix anything that goes wrong with them with inexpensive parts. It's all gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread