Are the high wattages really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rammstein

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Green Bay, USA
I don't like the fact that the new istick tc60w comes without a cell at all. I like some of the things I've heard in reviews but it comes without a cell as does the 100w which I never considered getting because it isn't even a TC device and 100w I can't see myself ever possibly needing.
I am considering a 60w tc device of some kind but want to know if anyone found them to be better. I currently have an istick tc40.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Are the high wattages really worth it?
Generally speaking... the higher the wattage, the lower the resistance/wire net mass potential can be obtained... and with lower resistance comes dramatic increases in coil net surface area.
Increasing coil net surface area - assuming you can provide sufficient wattage to obtain a useful heat value - means that, at minimum, you get a greater volume and density of vapor and (frequently flavor), per draw.
You can't necessarily equate a 400% increase in surface area to a 400% increase in vapor or flavor concentration - as wicking & AFC performance doesn't multiply at the same rate... but it's not too far off.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
I don't like the fact that the new istick tc60w comes without a cell at all. I like some of the things I've heard in reviews but it comes without a cell as does the 100w which I never considered getting because it isn't even a TC device and 100w I can't see myself ever possibly needing.
I am considering a 60w tc device of some kind but want to know if anyone found them to be better. I currently have an istick tc40.

A year from now when the iStick TC40 stops charging, you'll toss it in the trash. When the battery for the iStick 60 stops charging, you'll get a new battery and keep using it. If the vendors provided a battery, it would probably be sub-standard. I like to use my own high quality rechargeables so I can replace them easily when they decide to stop performing well.

I've been using one-year old Samsungs for about 7 hours today with my Kayfuns at 15.5 watts. the battery still has 1/3 charge and when it gets a little lower, I'll swap the battery out for a freshly charged one. My mod won't be tied down to a cable while I wait for it to charge.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Generally speaking... the higher the wattage, the lower the resistance/wire net mass potential can be obtained... and with lower resistance comes dramatic increases in coil net surface area.
Increasing coil net surface area - assuming you can provide sufficient wattage to obtain a useful heat value - means that, at minimum, you get a greater volume and density of vapor and (frequently flavor), per draw.
You can't necessarily equate a 400% increase in surface area to a 400% increase in vapor or flavor concentration - as wicking & AFC performance doesn't multiply at the same rate... but it's not too far off.
My triple parallel 32 gauge coil disagrees. Low mass high surface area means more vapor with less power.
image.jpeg

Trailz

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
NE OH US
I bought bought the istick 60W TC and 100W mods during black friday sales. I like the fact that they don't come with cells as I can choose the cells I want to use. I bought the 100W not for vaping high wattage but rather extended battery life between 25-50W. I'm currently running a .2 ohm coil in my Arctic tank and it drains a single cell in no time. 18650 cells are about 5 bucks and I can have spares ready for a quick swap.

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca
My triple parallel 32 gauge coil disagrees. Low mass high surface area means more vapor with less power.
View attachment 510300

Agreed. Recently built a parallel 30 AWG dual coil in my Velocity clone on Boden's advice. Came out to be just over an ohm, and I get better flavor and bigger clouds at 29 watts than anything sub-ohm I've ever built.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, lightning-fast response time; no 1+ second ramp-ups like the low-gauge, high-mass coils.

At heart, whether the higher wattages will come in handy for you depends solely on...you. If you're going to sub-ohm, or temperature control (since the wire's lower resistance), then probably yes. You'll have the ability to get a lot more out of your build than you would at low wattage.

If, like me, you're mostly happy on 1.6 - 2.2 ohm Kanthal, then a 30 watt Sigelei Mini fits the bill quite nicely and has a replaceable battery.

Nightly_Paradox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
East TN
Depends on your vaping style. With me for example, I always found myself trying to push out more power until I found a nice happy area to vape at. Which for me being a 0.15 ohm coil which is 117w. I tried pushing higher then that as well when I had rewired my box to series and ran the same 0.15 ohm coil which was around 470w

All depends on the vape style. I'm happy at around 120w on 3mg nic.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
A year from now when the iStick TC40 stops charging, you'll toss it in the trash. When the battery for the iStick 60 stops charging, you'll get a new battery and keep using it. If the vendors provided a battery, it would probably be sub-standard. I like to use my own high quality rechargeables so I can replace them easily when they decide to stop performing well.

I've been using one-year old Samsungs for about 7 hours today with my Kayfuns at 15.5 watts. the battery still has 1/3 charge and when it gets a little lower, I'll swap the battery out for a freshly charged one. My mod won't be tied down to a cable while I wait for it to charge.
Many shops includes option to include a battery at a lower price, when you buy a mod that needs a battery. That's a good solution in my opinon.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Shipping restrictions are greater for non-built-in batteries. But a replaceable battery is better, and at 60W and one 18650 you could need to charge several times a day or swap cells.

What many consider high wattages, no I wouldn't call that worth it or even a good thing, although what I would consider highish power could be worth it.

Reactions: Foggy Road

rolf

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2012
    spokane wa
    View attachment 510300
    hi boden !
    can you give me some more details on your coil?
    like is it a single coil ? the diameter ? how many turns ?
    also building and experimenting with low wattage coils . one is a twisted 34 gage with 4 stands !
    what are the ohms you are shooting for? getting good vapes at 20 to 23 watts now.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Right now I only own one regulated PV that will go above 15 watts, amd it's set at a whopping 6.5 watts ATM.
    So NO a high wattage PV would not be worth it to me.

The problem tho' is a lot of folks don't vape the same way I do, and their MMV.
    So it's the way YOU vape that will determine if a high wattage PV is worth it.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 16, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    I think I'm going with the PFY IPV D3 when the hype dies down. I have a few mods that go up too 100W. I say this as I vape away on my IPV D2 at 25.5 watts. This has become my sweet spot, so that is how I base my decisions on mods.

That and I won't buy a mod without replaceable batteries. Once you have one, you get it.

Reactions: Foggy Road
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread