Will my cravings for cigarettes ever go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Hi everyone. I'm very new to vaping and have just got into it the past 2 weeks because my friend recommended it. At first I was sceptical and didn't really see how it could work for me, so I vaped for a few minutes and then just lit up a regular cigarette. But I'm enjoying it more and more now... I've gone from smoking around 10-15 cigarettes a day to hardly any at this point. The problem is, I'm still getting cravings for regular cigarettes (especially when I'm drinking alcohol) and have had a couple here and there which disappoints me. I see people saying how they went from smoking a pack a day to 0 just like that after they discovered vaping and this just isn't happening for me. I wonder if anyone else experienced something similar to me at first, and more importantly, will this go away so I can enjoy a life without cigarettes and just be happy vaping? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (Apologies for rambling on!) :blush:
No! But don't let that discourage you! It took me 2 weeks to quit. The cravings do dissipate tho. They will go from CRAVINGS to urges and eventually from urges to just a stupid thought that pops into your head occasionally. When you get to the point where you laugh at that stupid thought you'll have it licked.

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
My thoughts on cravings are this....

Part physical/ chemical and psychological.

When you vape your are working on the physical and chemical part. Technically your metabolism doesnt know the difference.... Nicotine. Yes there are tons of other chemicals that are put in cigarettes that cause problems, but we wont go into that.

So whats left, its the psychological part.

Researchers have come up with an arbitrary number of what it takes for a habit to become a habit. They say doing something consistently 80 times will set it as a habit.

When I started vaping I did it as is I were smoking. I did it at the same times, same place. I also started with a cig-alike which satisfied my hands and mind. It went on like that till I was only vaping. It was hard at a few times. The coffee time, stressful times, etc. I still once in a while crave it mostly like a nice memory, nostalgic.

In the last almost 4 years I have a few occasions when I tried one of someone else's cigarettes and I did not feel guilt nor sense of failing, I ignited my old friend "Zippo" lit the cigarette with that wonderful anticipation , like when you are about to enjoy a favorite food. I take a deep breath, enjoy the smell and then when I inhale a puff, YUCK.... GIve it to someone, cause they are expensive and I hate to waste or crush it out.

I still take in a deep breath and feel that nostalgic feeling when I walk past a smoker. I smile and inhale and take a puff of my vaporizer and shrug.

Its not so much a craving its like remembering an old friend. All the memories of times past. Like the "blues"
What a wonderfully written explanation of EXACTLY what I'm feeling. I don't actually miss the cigarette as I have all the nicotine I need right in my hand with the e-cig. It's more of a nostalgia. The great thing I'm beginning to realise is that even if I 'cave' and have the odd regular cig, it's not the end of the world and as long as the e-cig is there, I don't need to worry about going back to my original 10-15 a day as there's simply no need. THANK YOU! :)

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
No! But don't let that discourage you! It took me 2 weeks to quit. The cravings do dissipate tho. They will go from CRAVINGS to urges and eventually from urges to just a stupid thought that pops into your head occasionally. When you get to the point where you laugh at that stupid thought you'll have it licked.
Thank you! Hope so! :)

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I quit smokes completely just over 2 weeks ago when I picked up a vape AND used 12mg nic. The clown in the store told me to start with 3mg. No idea why he would recommend that as I have smoked about a pack a day for 30 years and I was pretty clear with him that I was a heavy smoker. It wasn't enough nic and I'm glad I talked to another B&M owner that had a clue or I would still be smoking.

If I am drinking, I will do 12mg (6-8 if subohming) and so far so good.

I am Canadian and absolutely loved getting a few cartons of Marlboro Lights when in the States. I was in the U.S. for the last few days and didn't even think of smoking. I have zero interest. If I get a craving, I hit the vape a bit harder.

My wife is still smoking, but is slowly cutting down thanks to her vape. She doesn't like vaping very much, but she is slowi getting used to it. Different strokes, I guess.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
WTA = Whole Tobacco Alkaloids. It is an additive that only a few vendors sell. It replaces the thing in tobacco cigs that, for some, is VERY hard to kick.

As you are a very light smoker, I don't think that is the issue you are having. It is usually Very heavy smokers that need the WTA.

As suggested, I think you could up your nic a bit. Also, if you think of ecigs in the same way you would wear a nicotine patch, it might help you understand. With a patch, nic is delivered in small doses constantly. Vaping, you don't need the constant but more frequent vaping pretty much is a given. Especially when first starting and battling the cig urges. In time, you don't need to vape nearly as often, or you do...everyone is different ;)

Nicotine from vaping is not as efficient as smoking a cigarette. Especially for new vapers. It takes time to figure out how to vape for max efficiency. Nic is absorbed more readily in the mucus membranes. Hold the vapor in your mouth for a bit before inhaling. If you can, exhale through the nose. Some can't as the nic tends to burn a bit. Burn is a bit too harsh a word but can't think of one that works better. You do get used to that though.

I was a dual user for a month. There is no harm in that :)

Old saying around here: Count the ones you don't have, not the ones you do :D

You're doing fine. Use us as your support system.... we pretty good at that job :thumbs:

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
WTA = Whole Tobacco Alkaloids. It is an additive that only a few vendors sell. It replaces the thing in tobacco cigs that, for some, is VERY hard to kick.

As you are a very light smoker, I don't think that is the issue you are having. It is usually Very heavy smokers that need the WTA.

As suggested, I think you could up your nic a bit. Also, if you think of ecigs in the same way you would wear a nicotine patch, it might help you understand. With a patch, nic is delivered in small doses constantly. Vaping, you don't need the constant but more frequent vaping pretty much is a given. Especially when first starting and battling the cig urges. In time, you don't need to vape nearly as often, or you do...everyone is different ;)

Nicotine from vaping is not as efficient as smoking a cigarette. Especially for new vapers. It takes time to figure out how to vape for max efficiency. Nic is absorbed more readily in the mucus membranes. Hold the vapor in your mouth for a bit before inhaling. If you can, exhale through the nose. Some can't as the nic tends to burn a bit. Burn is a bit too harsh a word but can't think of one that works better. You do get used to that though.

I was a dual user for a month. There is no harm in that :)

Old saying around here: Count the ones you don't have, not the ones you do :D

You're doing fine. Use us as your support system.... we pretty good at that job :thumbs:
Thank you very much! It's so great to finally have somewhere to ask questions and see that people have (or had) experienced the same as me. I think I'm going to try upping the nicotine to 12mg and not beat myself up if I have the odd cig - it's still a whole lot better than the amount I used to smoke (and spend!). Thanks again for great advice :)

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
I quit smokes completely just over 2 weeks ago when I picked up a vape AND used 12mg nic. The clown in the store told me to start with 3mg. No idea why he would recommend that as I have smoked about a pack a day for 30 years and I was pretty clear with him that I was a heavy smoker. It wasn't enough nic and I'm glad I talked to another B&M owner that had a clue or I would still be smoking.

If I am drinking, I will do 12mg (6-8 if subohming) and so far so good.

I am Canadian and absolutely loved getting a few cartons of Marlboro Lights when in the States. I was in the U.S. for the last few days and didn't even think of smoking. I have zero interest. If I get a craving, I hit the vape a bit harder.

My wife is still smoking, but is slowly cutting down thanks to her vape. She doesn't like vaping very much, but she is slowi getting used to it. Different strokes, I guess.
Great advice - thanks. I should get a higher mg for when I'm drinking. Someone suggested to stop drinking alcohol altogether, but let's face it, that's never going to happen! So this is a good solution! Another quick question as you've been so helpful - do you ever get a tickly/itchy sensation in your throat when you're smoking the e-cig (especially when I start off a vaping session). Thanks in advance. :)

Reactions: Foggy Road

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
Another quick question if you don't mind...
As mentioned above, I'm finding that at the beginning of my vaping sessions, my throat is tickling and actually the smoke takes a while until I get that satisfying 'cloud of smoke' from my drag. Is this normal? Someone mentioned the e-cig can dehydrate you, but the same thing just happened now while vaping with my morning coffee. :cry: Thank you!

Reactions: anavidfan

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I suggested stop drinking, but raising nic is a good option as well. I just think it is obvious trigger and if you still have cravings, then well, ya know. But you've got down so much, I don't see you going back to abusive smoking unless you quit vaping or drink 14 hours a day, which I hope isn't the case (lol).

The tickle sensation in throat is normal with vaping. Could be due to several factors, but likely is nic/throat hit. If looking for more satisfying cloud, I'd suggest puff puff inhale, rather than long inhale. Saves a little bit on the throat and gives you a deeper, more primed hit.

Reactions: Roxyco

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
Hi Roxyco

Sounds like either battery is needing recharging or atty is drying out? Its a few pages behind, cant remember what gear your'e using.
Actually just changed the atty (look at me learning all the slang!)... Charging it up now to see if that's the problem. And it's the Totally Wicked Curve from the UK. Thanks for the help :)

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
I suggested stop drinking, but raising nic is a good option as well. I just think it is obvious trigger and if you still have cravings, then well, ya know. But you've got down so much, I don't see you going back to abusive smoking unless you quit vaping or drink 14 hours a day, which I hope isn't the case (lol).

The tickle sensation in throat is normal with vaping. Could be due to several factors, but likely is nic/throat hit. If looking for more satisfying cloud, I'd suggest puff puff inhale, rather than long inhale. Saves a little bit on the throat and gives you a deeper, more primed hit.
Puff, puff enhale - nice one! That makes for a much smoother drag. Thank you again! :)

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I hate to say it, and it suprises me still, but after 33.5 years of smoking, i bought my vape gear, went home mixed up my juice, built my first coil, pressed the button and never smoked again, my friend who smoked about the same number of years got interested, got me to buy him the gear and mix several months worth of juice up for him and quit the same way. It does happen, but i know some people still dual use, obviously i hope you transition off them quickly. Stick with it, I never imagined id be free of cigarettes.

Mixing your own nic helps too, you can determine the strength

Started out subohming 16mg nic and now down to 10mg

98% of the time i vape unflavoured, and this will surprise you, but its absolutely true for myself, my friend and quite a lot of other vapers i know, we cant stand tobacco flavoured vapes....hilarious after 33 years of smoking, cant stand the taste or smell. If im out and about and walking behind a smoker, ill overtake them to be free of the reek :) Oh and ill blow a victory cloud as i pass them by...

Im now down to having a short vape about once every hour or two - ill have periods where i dont even pick my mod up for 4 hours at a time, i get so much done these days, not mention feel so much better.

Stick with it, youre not he first, wont be the last and youre surrounded my people whove been there

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
I hate to say it, and it suprises me still, but after 33.5 years of smoking, i bought my vape gear, went home mixed up my juice, built my first coil, pressed the button and never smoked again, my friend who smoked about the same number of years got interested, got me to buy him the gear and mix several months worth of juice up for him and quit the same way. It does happen, but i know some people still dual use, obviously i hope you transition off them quickly. Stick with it, I never imagined id be free of cigarettes.

Mixing your own nic helps too, you can determine the strength

Started out subohming 16mg nic and now down to 10mg

98% of the time i vape unflavoured, and this will surprise you, but its absolutely true for myself, my friend and quite a lot of other vapers i know, we cant stand tobacco flavoured vapes....hilarious after 33 years of smoking, cant stand the taste or smell. If im out and about and walking behind a smoker, ill overtake them to be free of the reek :) Oh and ill blow a victory cloud as i pass them by...

Im now down to having a short vape about once every hour or two - ill have periods where i dont even pick my mod up for 4 hours at a time, i get so much done these days, not mention feel so much better.

Stick with it, youre not he first, wont be the last and youre surrounded my people whove been there
Thanks. It's really encouraging to hear these examples. It's actually amazing for me to see that every single person who responded either smokes WAY less than they used to after vaping, or completely gave it up altogether. I just hope I won't be the odd one out! I haven't bought a new pack of smokes for about 4 days now and am not planning to! :) You mentioned that mixing your own nic helps - I'm finding that the flavours I've purchased (although they're quite tasty) are a little sickly/sweet. I'd like to get a non-flavoured liquid... Could you send me a link (somewhere that ships worldwide if possible!). Thanks again for the reply! :)

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Thanks. It's really encouraging to hear these examples. It's actually amazing for me to see that every single person who responded either smokes WAY less than they used to after vaping, or completely gave it up altogether. I just hope I won't be the odd one out! I haven't bought a new pack of smokes for about 4 days now and am not planning to! :) You mentioned that mixing your own nic helps - I'm finding that the flavours I've purchased (although they're quite tasty) are a little sickly/sweet. I'd like to get a non-flavoured liquid... Could you send me a link (somewhere that ships worldwide if possible!). Thanks again for the reply! :)

Do you flavours contain nicotine already or are you mixing it in with them...here in Australia we cant buy any juice with nicotine in it so we have to add our nicotine in (after we buy the nicotine from overseas)

So when i say unflavoured, im referring to mixing from scratch - i.e. mixing PG (Proplyene Glycol), VG (Vegetable Glycerine) and Nicotine together, at different percentages for each component depending on what you want your nicotine level to be and how high you want your VG or PG. I use, like many others a calculator, like this: eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator or this (a little more complex): New Calculator to try

Just those 3 components. If you mix just those 3 components together and add no flavouring at all you have unflavoured juice, thats what im referring to. Cheapest way to vape once you buy the 3 ingredients. My 1lt of nicotine cost me AUD$100, and if stored correctly wiull last 2.5 years or more. You can then chose to buy flavours as you go along if you wantr to try flavours (i still get flavours every once in a great while) in singlers/doublers or even cheaper still buy flavour concentrates (go much further).

I realise thats a lot of info and initially you may be better buying premade juice for its simplicity...ready to go. Try and find a bricvks and mortar store near you, they often will have flavour testers. My local has an entire long bench for thsi purpose. I do hope if its the flavours holding you back you have a B&M store where you can try some, or if not, find one online that you like.

Im personally not aware of any juice vendor who actually sells unflavoured ready to vape juice except this one, which ive seen mentioned before: Unflavored E Juice

You can choose nic level, vg/pg ration and bottle size.

i bought about 6 flavours the day i started, likjed 2 and binned the other 4 days later, knowing id never vape them...welcome to flavour chasing...half the reason why when eomsone mentioned unflavoured i jumped on it, after of course going "what, you dont have to have flavours in it?" It was a revelation as a newbie.

unflavoured: usual disclaimer applies, your mileage may vary and it may not be for you

wherabouts are you located anyways? put that info in your profile and you may find someone on here who is close by that can assist and or maybe even be kind enough to mix you up some unflavoured and offer encouragement and support you while you get started on vaping

Reactions: Roxyco
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread