Thinking of getting a Provari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
I am a light weight as far as vaping goes. ;) I am trying to get prepared gear wise in case the FDA locks us down to prefilled cartos and ecigalike types. :eek: I vape at usually 8Ws so a Provari 2.5 will work for me.:thumb: Here is my biggest question - can I use a samsung 25R5 18650 high discharge flat top in it - if not why not? Thanks for your time.:vapor:

Reactions: WillyZee

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
The use of a magnet to simulate the button top voids the warranty, and for good reason... The Positive contact of the Provari 2.5 is inside a small notch on the electronics board. That forms a mechanical version of polarity reversal protection. It requires a button top to make contact with the battery terminal. If you use a magnet on a flat top you are defeating that reverse polarity protection. If that magnet ends up on the negative terminal of the battery, it will fry the board, generating much heat.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
When I bought my first two P2.5's a little over a year ago I bought the AW batteries sold by Provape because I read a lot of confusing opinions on this, and I didn't want to think about this too hard :). And a year later I am satisfied with my decision. Provape now also sells E-Fest button top batteries (they only sold AW the last time I bought Provari batteries).

As best I understand it, the P2.5 is not terribly picky about the battery. But the battery's positive button must conform to the standards. For example, I have heard of button top batteries that did not work because the button was presumably either too small or too wide. The battery must be unprotected (IMR chemistry) and must be a high drain type.

Here is my argument for preferably buying the batteries directly from Provape or at least the identical models from very reputable dealers:

1. You are not a battery expert.
2. Nor do you want to be :) How many hours of your life do you want to waste trying to save a couple bucks per battery ? (which presumably is the only reason to look elsewhere)
3. You are trying to vapocalypse proof yourself. You want your entire mod to be as reliable as possible
4. At the current price of $79 I think the P2.5 is an excellent vapocalypse proof-er and I've bought a couple more myself.
5. You get a one year warranty (real, meaningful warranty), why screw that up with a possibly questionable battery? If you buy the battery from Provape then there can never ever be any question about battery choice.
6. There are supposedly a lot of counterfeit batteries out there, and most you would find for much less would be at least suspect. How much time do you want to waste learning about cheap counterfeit batteries? And certainly don't buy them from eBay or Amazon unless you really know what you are doing.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
VapeProvari.jpg

You should buy one ... use the AW batteries, they are good for more charge cycles.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
An interesting cost consideration... the Provari Classic, P3 and Radius all use flat top batteries. Only the P2.5 requires button top, and that is part of the reason they are so heavily discounted.

The Provari Classic sells for $70-$100 more than the P2.5 now. However, you can buy Samsung 25R batteries from Illumn.com, for example, for $5 and that is a very reputable dealer that many people here use. So... while you are saving a lot of money on the mod by buying a P2.5 you will likely end up paying as much as $8 more per battery than you have to. If you buy 4 you will spend $32 more, eating into the minimum $70 savings on the mod itself. Over the course of many years it might actually be cheaper to buy a Classic.

This without consideration to the issue Willy Zee brought up. I'm not sure we could reliably quantify how many more charge cycles you might expect to get from an AW over a Samsung, for example.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
@VNeil , I use my Classic in 18500 mode with AW button tops and it works just fine, so I assume that I'm good with that, hopefully. My P3 I do use flat tops in 18650 mode.
Nothing wrong with AW's. They are just rather expensive compared to Sammy 25R's. :) I'm not familiar with 18500 flat tops so no opinion at all on the relative merits of alternatives.

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Joure
Have you though about buying the Yihi SX Mini M Class? (or the new ML class) It's a rock solid device with a build quality that matches Provape's (I personally think it even exceeds it a bit). 8 watts may be enough for you right now but if you want to get a dripper in the future and vape at a higher wattage you won't have to buy another device. The same goes for if you want to get into temp control.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I am a light weight as far as vaping goes. ;) I am trying to get prepared gear wise in case the FDA locks us down to prefilled cartos and ecigalike types. :eek: I vape at usually 8Ws so a Provari 2.5 will work for me.:thumb: Here is my biggest question - can I use a samsung 25R5 18650 high discharge flat top in it - if not why not? Thanks for your time.:vapor:

if you only vape at 8watts you should consider getting a couple cheap mechs with 5-15 watt kick modules.

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread