Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Saw the same video. I've never discussed using Isopropyl alcohol as an extraction solvent because you'd need to remove -all- of it at the end yielding a tobacco concrete, I've done it and wasn't impressed with the flavor.

Could it be because you still had traces of IPA left in the final extract, or was it because IPA does not extract flavors that well?

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I evaporated all the IPA leaving nothing but a dry tarnish that I then scraped, collected and reconstituted in warm PG (which was hard to do, took stirring for many hours @ 140F). The resulting flavor tasted a bit bland, lacked range/depth, higher flavor notes were completely missing and the rest was a bit muddied.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
I've experimented extensively with PGA/PG solvent blends at various mix ratios for both hot and cold extractions. Personally, I observed no benefits from doing so but YMMV. You can't freeze filter PG, so any oil, wax and resin leeched during the extraction process stays in the extract rendering it as gunky as a traditional NET. I don't know at what mix ratio PG would negate PGA's freeze filtering attributes, perhaps a small percentage would have minimal impact.

For the "ultimate" cost savings when using PGA (Ethanol), the reduction should be made by vacuum distilling the extract where you recover the PGA that is removed and can re-use it again and again. Because of Ethanol's low boiling point (173F), vacuum distillation is easily achieved by heating the extract to 140F and applying a light vacuum. Vacuum distillation provides a second benefit, it purifies/concentrates the ethanol. If I lived in a country where the strongest alcohol legally available was 100 proof Vodka (~50% ethanol, ~50% water), vacuum distillation can convert it to 95% ethanol, like the PGA we use. The process is known as "fractional distillation", an intimidating technical term for a process that's quite easy to accomplish. A crock pot, two modified canning jars, a $22 vacuum pump and a $30 Liebig condenser is basically all you need.
Fractional distillation has to do with isolating various alcohols and fusels, I believe. But what we call it isn't particularly impotant.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Str8vision

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I evaporated all the IPA leaving nothing but a dry tarnish that I then scraped, collected and reconstituted in warm PG (which was hard to do, took stirring for many hours @ 140F). The resulting flavor tasted a bit bland, lacked range/depth, higher flavor notes were completely missing and the rest was a bit muddied.

What If I did the following instead of drying to a tarnish:

Extract with IPA, add 5 ml of distilled water to 10 ml of extract, and then reduce the mixture to 5 ml or less. Or else, reduce the IPA by 50% first, and then add water and reduce further. You will have nothing left but flavor and water. It's just as well since I always add a bit of water to my final mix anyway - to thin down the vg.

Now that I know you are still alive an well from exposure to the IPA, I may give it a try just to prove to myself that you are right about the quality of flavor :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8vision

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Fractional distillation has to do with isolating various alcohols and fusels, I believe. But what we call it isn't particularly impotant.

Fractional distillation is the separation of a mixture into its component parts, or fractions, such as in separating chemical compounds by their boiling point by heating them to a temperature at which one or more fractions of the compound will vaporize. It is a special type of distillation. This process can be performed under a vacuum in order to reduce the target component's boing point to a temperature that won't harm any part of the base compound (if any are heat sensitive). It's also the industrial method used for removing water from oil (Vacuum dehydration), in large quantity. They don't catch/keep the water of course. Amazing to watch.

Last edited:

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
We're saying basically the same thing in different ways, I think. But if you're vaccuum distilling PGA, it's not really fractional, as those low alcohols and fusels are already fractioned out via prior distillation. You're just stripping the pga from the leftover tobacco.

But I digress. The name is pretty irrelevant.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
The Rustica that I extracted tastes like what pouch chewing tobacco smells like (think Beechnut). I wasn't really impressed but it was distinctly different from any other tobacco I've extracted.

The Sutliff Black Vanilla tastes smooth as silk and the vanilla flavor is quite apparent. A pleasant, mellow, slightly sweet vape but I like a little more pizzazz from the tobacco. Will let this one age for awhile and try it again.

The Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce was a delight, lots of flavor even freshly mixed. Burley and Cavendish provide a moderate tobacco presence with vanilla, caramel, a crème nuance and hint of perhaps black cherry in the background. I like this fresh, can't wait to revisit it in a month or two to see how it develops.

Rocky Patel Vintage '90 is the first cigar extract I've tasted that provided an acceptable level of flavor. Freshly mixed it's stronger than most retail cigar NETs are after being aged for three months. Velvety smooth with a top shelf tobacco taste doesn't have a "cheap dime store" cigar flavor at all, If I still smoked this is one cigar I'd definitely buy. Time will tell but I suspect with aging the Rocky Patel will turn into liquid gold.

Next up for extraction will be Cornell & Diehl "Exclusive" (Cavendish, red Virginia and Perique), Sutliff "Dark Decadence" (fire-cured and steamed green river Burley-Cavendish), Sutliff "Peach Cobbler" (Burley, Cavendish, flake Virginia), Sutliff "Vanilla Custard" (Burley, Cavendish, Virginia), and an Acid Blondie cigar.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Good rundown and descriptions. Thanks!

I'd be curious how the Sutliff Peach Cobbler turns out, peach cobbler being a weakness of mine.

I plan on hitting Specs on the way home Friday to get some American Spirit. I'll see if they have the Rocky Patel as well.

H&H Louisiana Red is ready for filtering this weekend...

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
The Rustica that I extracted tastes like what pouch chewing tobacco smells like (think Beechnut). I wasn't really impressed but it was distinctly different from any other tobacco I've extracted.

The Sutliff Black Vanilla tastes smooth as silk and the vanilla flavor is quite apparent. A pleasant, mellow, slightly sweet vape but I like a little more pizzazz from the tobacco. Will let this one age for awhile and try it again.

The Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce was a delight, lots of flavor even freshly mixed. Burley and Cavendish provide a moderate tobacco presence with vanilla, caramel, a crème nuance and hint of perhaps black cherry in the background. I like this fresh, can't wait to revisit it in a month or two to see how it develops.

Rocky Patel Vintage '90 is the first cigar extract I've tasted that provided an acceptable level of flavor. Freshly mixed it's stronger than most retail cigar NETs are after being aged for three months. Velvety smooth with a top shelf tobacco taste doesn't have a "cheap dime store" cigar flavor at all, If I still smoked this is one cigar I'd definitely buy. Time will tell but I suspect with aging the Rocky Patel will turn into liquid gold.

Next up for extraction will be Cornell & Diehl "Exclusive" (Cavendish, red Virginia and Perique), Sutliff "Dark Decadence" (fire-cured and steamed green river Burley-Cavendish), Sutliff "Peach Cobbler" (Burley, Cavendish, flake Virginia), Sutliff "Vanilla Custard" (Burley, Cavendish, Virginia), and an Acid Blondie cigar.
You're a machine!

patioclark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Lafayette, CO USA
I used a large pair of shears and cut the cigar into small shreds.

I use my wife's best kitchen knife and cutting board. When she's not home. For at least a couple hours so I can clean them and put them away. Just sayin.

If you like the RP 1990 and want something with a little more spice, get the RP 2008 Autumn Reserve. Thompson sells them in five packs. These are my two favorites out of the dozen that I've done. Thanks for your posts Str8, I'm going to try the PGA extractions soon.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I use my wife's best kitchen knife and cutting board. When she's not home.

An experienced man, with highly developed survival instincts. :lol:

If you like the RP 1990 and want something with a little more spice, get the RP 2008 Autumn Reserve.

I'll put one in the cart, thanks for the tip! :)

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
"Specs as a company no longer carry loose leaf tobacco." So I was told a little while ago. Ok, I'll get the American Spirit at 7-11. I did pick up two of the Rocky Patel that Str8vision recommended.

How do I go about breaking up a cigar? Do I tear into strips or larger pieces?

Thanks!

You can get American Spirit pouches at The Pipe Lion in Kyle.
The Pipe Lion - Cigarettes

Reactions: 67Tele

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
This should be interesting: Rum Twist | Gawith Hoggarth

20151205_134146-001.jpg

I was cautioned about it's strength on the net thread.

Filtered Peter Stokkebye Proper English last night and Hearth and Home Louisiana Red is in the Ahlstrom filter now.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
This should be interesting: Rum Twist | Gawith Hoggarth

View attachment 512227

I was cautioned about it's strength on the net thread.

Filtered Peter Stokkebye Proper English last night and Hearth and Home Louisiana Red is in the Ahlstrom filter now.

Looks like something the neighbors dog left on my front lawn.:laugh:
I'll be interested to hear how it turns out. I have several rum flavored extracts.
Sutliff Private Stock Barbados Plantation
Sutliff Sunset Rum
and East India Trading Company Cellar Reserve

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread