Boxer Mod 200W with Evolv DNA200 Temperature Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakeford

Nov 6, 2015
Hello guys, I bought myself a white 133W boxer in the beginning of october from Esauce, but I noticed a few problems with it that led me to shipping it back to them for an exchange.
First of all, the 510 Pin : On the packaging it was mentioned not to screw the atomizers too firmly but even if I didn't, because of the heat an maybe a bit of juice, I still managed to "glue" my crown tank to the 510 and they would spin together freely. I finally managed to separate them using a small screw driver which I inserted in the little air channels of the 510 to stabilize it while I unscrewed my tank. But then getting the 510 back to its original position was quite a challenge ! This problem happened again a few times before I send it back.

I wonder if this happened to any of you guys ? Maybe I was just unlucky and got a poorly assembled unit, but for the price they could at least have a decently functioning 510 ...

Second, the door did not fit well on the mod when I put batteries in. It kept having a gap of maybe half a millimeter, pushing the magnets away from one another and therefore weakening their traction. I mean the door would just fall if I held the mod and waved my arm downwards...
Hopefully I heard there were solutions coming up by GingerVaper. First came some higher duty mags, then came recently a new magnetless design. I hope to be getting this newly designed box, and in the new grey color !

Have any of you got any info on that new door design ? Pictures ? Any owners ?
For the new grey, I saw a picture on the Ginger Vaper FB page and it looks like the discontinued allunylon without the alumide freckles.
What do you think about it ? Has anyone got more shots of it ?

I have been following this thread for a long time, it has made up my mind on choosing this box.
Thanks for sharing you experiences and knowledge :)

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
No problems with my 510. My magnets are fine and are very snappy, but I could see why they switched to the new design (although I love my magnets, thank you). The only problem I had with my Boxer was the board on it crapping out, but who knows why that happened. I sent it to Ginger Vaper, they had it for a day and changed the board out no cost or hassle to me and it is on its way back to me. Can't say how easy and free of stress that process was (Except for the initial "why isn't it working!?!?!"). Great customer service.

I have obviously only seen pictures of the new gray color but it looks really nice. I have an alumylon 133 myself and had to check if they discontinued the alumylon (they did not). Turns out that new gray is probably the same finish, but like you said does not have the aluminum flake in it. I am split on whether I would get that if I had the choice now. On one hand I love the aluminum flake in the alumylon, on the other hand I would be fine without it. I went for the alumylon because it is the natural finish of the enclosure.

Reactions: wakeford

wakeford

Nov 6, 2015
No problems with my 510. My magnets are fine and are very snappy, but I could see why they switched to the new design (although I love my magnets, thank you). The only problem I had with my Boxer was the board on it crapping out, but who knows why that happened. I sent it to Ginger Vaper, they had it for a day and changed the board out no cost or hassle to me and it is on its way back to me. Can't say how easy and free of stress that process was (Except for the initial "why isn't it working!?!?!"). Great customer service.

I have obviously only seen pictures of the new gray color but it looks really nice. I have an alumylon 133 myself and had to check if they discontinued the alumylon (they did not). Turns out that new gray is probably the same finish, but like you said does not have the aluminum flake in it. I am split on whether I would get that if I had the choice now. On one hand I love the aluminum flake in the alumylon, on the other hand I would be fine without it. I went for the alumylon because it is the natural finish of the enclosure.

Yeah I know what you mean about the natural finish, that's why I picked the white one, but damn does it stain easily !! A darker shade should do the trick.
I can't complain about the service I got at E-Sauce either, they'll be shipping me a new unit as soon as they receive a batch of new grey.
I'll put a photo up for you guys to see but it shouldn't be until the week after...

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
Yeah I know what you mean about the natural finish, that's why I picked the white one, but damn does it stain easily !! A darker shade should do the trick.
I can't complain about the service I got at E-Sauce either, they'll be shipping me a new unit as soon as they receive a batch of new grey.
I'll put a photo up for you guys to see but it shouldn't be until the week after...

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing the gray and hope you have a better experience with this second unit.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
I wonder if this happened to any of you guys ? Maybe I was just unlucky and got a poorly assembled unit, but for the price they could at least have a decently functioning 510 ...

I just got mine back recently after a defective board and USPS debacle - I had quite a full day yesterday using it with the known-to-be-flush TFV4 (not to mention hot). On the TFV4 I notice each time I fill it with that swing top and I close that top, I inadvertently tighten it a bit more. I did not experience this problem to this point with very limited hours of use (maybe 14 total).

Things I like more vs the other DNA 200 (Tuglyfe) I have after that long day:
  • It came setup better and more accurately courtesy of Ginger, with the latest firmware
  • The shape is more comfortable than any other DNA 200 I've held, including the fabled Reuleaux (which is nice too)
  • It's just obscenely small and light
  • It feels GOOD in the hand, the texturing of the Alumylon version I have just feels good
  • Good tactile fire button
Thing I don't like quite as much:
  • The +/- button isn't very responsive or tactile all the time - breaking in required?
This coming week the Boxer will take two business trips with me and that - for me - will be the 'test' I need. Those are my longest days and my vape can't fail me. ;-)

Cheers, -Mags

JeepR KReapR

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
SE Michigan
I totally agree with mags, the Alumylon Lipo Boxer I have has been my daily vape for the last 2 weeks and I cant find one flaw with it from a functional persepective.

I also find deep inhales MUCH easier with this than with my SX mini M. I've played with all the power settings on the Yihi and I could never find a setting that was really smooth. I can only suspect it's whatever the preheat setting is on the DNA200 from Ginger Vapes out of the box because I haven't even downloaded the Escribe software yet...haven't had a need.

Vaping a .08 ohm Ni200 coil in a subtank mini at about 24W with temp limited at 390 F is pure bliss.

Question for those with the Alumylon...what do you guys use to keep it clean? The sandpaper surface is a dirt magnet. Soap & water???

The only downside I've noted so far is although the mod is short the lipo version is still a tad wide to sit inconspicuous in one's pants pocket. I don't know what other lipo DNA mod would be thinner though, maybe the vaporshark or lavabox, but each of those mods have their own issues.

wakeford

Nov 6, 2015
A reply I got from Alex Ayazi, the owner of E-Sauce ( GV's Europe distributor ) to the question of a new no magnet design :

"The new version doesn't have magnets it has a clip on door so much more solid. One thing I will say though Jonathan is all boxers come with a powder residue over them this makes them very stiff at first and seems like they don't fit to get the flash in time as this powder residue comes away from the surface which you cannot clean off and shouldn't do, the item will fit more flush together. However it will be never like a machine made metal mods for example if that makes sense?"

wakeford

Nov 6, 2015
This is the "new grey" color I plan on getting in the following week. It boasts the same fabric color as the allumylon, minus the aluminum sparkles. It is therefore more durable and less prone to cracking.
( Oh and that mod is the 75W Yihi boxer that will come beginning of december )
12194992_422212574641012_6244210935143338045_o.jpg

Reactions: vapealone

wakeford

Nov 6, 2015
Chat started
Ginger Vaper
Hello

i just saw your post on ECF... and esauce has not really advised you correctly

Jonathan Wakeford
Hi

Ginger Vaper
hello. I just read your post on ECF and will help clarify for you. We had the design on the Boxer changed from the magnets to the Press-on version, mainly because people who were purchasing the kits were installing the magnets backwards, hence ruining their door and requiring a purchase of a new one. Also the glue used does not adhere well to the Alumylon material which caused the magnets to fall out. While, yes, the magnet-less version is a more solid closure. Some still prefer the magnet version for quick release and other even like to play with it popping on and off :)

as to the powder......

That is also not correct at all what he advised.

Jonathan Wakeford
oh okay I understand

Ginger Vaper
Part of the process of printing these mods results in a powder residue. The White, Alumylon and Grey colors are all the actual material that the enclosures are printed in. All others are dyed over a white print. On the dyed colors, it is very important that the manufacturer removed all excess powder prior to dying. If not, then they are just dying the powder and may miss spots below the powder. When the powder then comes off it will expose an unfinished surface. Occasionally the manufacturer does miss a spot or two and we fully inspect all units prior to assemble to make sure none of these get assembled or released. An assembled unit from us will not have the powder issue. The White, Alumylon and Grey and not dyed so this is not an issue.

If your unit feels stiff or the buttons are difficult to press, this means that your unit was not cleaned properly and there is excess powder stuck in the crevices of the buttons. We clean out each and every unit we assemble so this issue should not be present from us....but it might be if someone purchases a kit.

That can be easily fixed by simply blowing into the openings of the buttons to remove the excess powder.

Jonathan Wakeford
I see, though, I bought a white assembled unit from Esauce early of october, a 133W with magnets, and the door would not fit flush when I put batteries in ( Sony VTC5's, LG HG2 or Samsung 25R5 ), the door would constantly stick out, and the magnets woulnd't come in a perfect contact, making the door lose. Maybe this problem is related to the powder. Anyhow, I send the unit back to Esauce and will have an exchange for a new grey magnetless design so I should encounter no further problem ! :)

Ginger Vaper
also..... the units from esauce are not assembled by us nor programed by us nor go through our strict QC and cleaning standards. I'm not saying their units are bad... just that I can not answer for them. Do not know how they program with eScribe nor their wiring method on the assembled units. I know he glues his 510's in (which is a bad idea) and as one member reported got "stuck" to his Smok tank.... we do not use glue. We do place a few drops of loctite now on the threads to assure that the 510 will not unscrew by over tightening your atty. We also offer a 6 month warranty on our assembly while i think they only offer a 4 month

Jonathan Wakeford
Damn that happened to mine with a crown tank ! The first day I got it...

I would have paid the extra shipping if I had known !

Ginger Vaper
I saw that post. We're are not members there on ECF because they do not allow us to post in forums if we were. But that is not due to the powder. It is either because they did not remove a few over the assembly parts that would interfere or that the battery contacts were not pressed in all the way. The door should sit flush if the assembly was done correctly. I use VTC5's is mine and it sites perfectly.

Even with the magnet-less one, if they do not remove the manufacturing posts or press the battery contacts in enough then the door will still not sit flush.

Jonathan Wakeford
Well I'll make sure to pass on the info, it could save quite some hassle to fellow vapers !

Ginger Vaper
There can also be wires that interfere with the battery sled sitting flush. If the sled is raised even a mm or two, this would push the batteries out further causing the door to not close properly. The assembly is a but tricky, especially on the DNA133 model.

I'm sure they will get the hang of it. It just comes with experience as our techs build hundreds of these each week.

Jonathan Wakeford
:) Thanks for all the intel ! Hopefully you'll hear from me soon.

Yes but I wish I wasn't the one serving as a guinea pig

Ginger Vaper
here is a picture of the DNA133 assembled in the new grey.... we have a few in stock right now.

http://s9.postimg.org/vspzijn9r/DNA133_Grey.jpg

Jonathan Wakeford
sexy !!

Ginger Vaper
yes.... Ive been using the new Single 26650 unit for a couple of weeks now in the grey and it still looks like it was right out of the box. Definitely recommend this material over the others.

Jonathan Wakeford
just to know what would your rate be for shipping it to france ?

Ginger Vaper
i think the regular shipping is $17?

Jonathan Wakeford
the white was very neat but is stained to easy ;)
Nice

Ginger Vaper
but they may hit you with VAT when it arrives

some say they need to pay, some don't

Jonathan Wakeford
Oh damn that would be steep !

Ginger Vaper
guess it depends on the customer agent working that day :)

Jonathan Wakeford
you declare its true value or downplay it ?

my zampleboxes come in declared as a 10 buck value

Ginger Vaper
we actually insure the parcel for loss or damage. So i think that is the issue. Sometimes they use that value and tax on it, other times they don't. But if we did not issure it and it got lost then it would be a bigger isue.

Jonathan Wakeford
I see ok, well I might take the gamble with the customs then, as long as I manage a refund.

thanks for the pic and your advice.

Talk to you soon I hope

Chat rated Good
Ginger Vaper
Im sure you will be fine dealing with esauce too if its an issue. The Grey does not have many of the issues as the other colors do. Just tell him NOT to use glue :)

Jonathan Wakeford
hehe I might just tell him that ^^

Ginger Vaper
and if you want to be safe.... just a couple of drops of loctite on the threading of the 510 will assure it does not twist off.

Jonathan Wakeford
got it !

Ginger Vaper
good luck.... and hope you enjoy it.

Jonathan Wakeford
oh I will I love it ! appart from the minor glitches

DNA133_Grey.jpg

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Question for those with the Alumylon...what do you guys use to keep it clean? The sandpaper surface is a dirt magnet. Soap & water???

I used the green side of a scour sponge and decently warm water. Cleaned my Alumylon mod up quite well. I didn't add soap.

f32d1fd08f3a360efe8f9a5458574c45.jpg

Reactions: JeepR KReapR

wakeford

Nov 6, 2015
@wakeford: Alumylon w/ press-fit door...

View attachment 506199

Thanks for the pic ! Very nice, I can't wait to get my hands on mine, ( new grey ) should arrive in the week coming.
This looks like the ultimate combo with the velocity !
Is that an original or a clone ? I'm looking to order one from china, what are your thoughts about the clones ?

Reactions: sig-cmt

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
My Boxer has been awesome although the screen started shifting again so I have given up hope understanding why that is. On my Tuglyfe it's flush, centered, .. on the Boxer it's just starting to recess on the same side as when I shipped it back and slip slightly off-center. I just can't care too much about it anymore as the dual 18650s take away most of the pain. Swapping the batteries is SO much nicer than the LiPo.

Although I'm not likely to buy another Boxer until I can understand why that recess happens - which is a shame because otherwise it's clearly the superior device.

The Alumylon has held up well in my first longer travel being shoved in and out of bags, dirty hands, glass breakage & leak from tank, etc. I should say _really well_ actually .. including a few knocked over events without incident or damage.

The up/down buttons broke in pretty quickly and now everything is smooth as whole milk.

I got a chance to hold it side by side with a number of other DNA 200 devices and it is, by far, the most ergonomic in my medium sized hands.

So I'll wait and see what other devices come to market because nothing beats the Boxer in terms of weight/shape/ergos but the finish isn't where I'd like for that price point. At least Ginger made sure I have a great working unit .. along those lines I'd buy a different DNA 200 from Ginger should they offer another model I'm interested in.

Cheers, -Mags

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
Is that an original [velocity] or a clone?
Authentic ordered directly from Avid Vaper.

...what are your thoughts about the clones?
Though I am not opposed to clones, I have no thoughts on them as I have never owned any nor will I ever.

...the screen started shifting again...starting to recess...and slip slightly off-center.
I am sure we will all be keeping an eye out for this anomaly. I know I will be. Thanks.

...dual 18650s take away most of the pain. Swapping the batteries is SO much nicer than the LiPo.
The conundrum is that for very low resistance builds, the increased current draw for 2S 18650 almost necessitates the use of 30A cells = Significantly reduced wH.

Rockwell222

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the pic ! Very nice, I can't wait to get my hands on mine, ( new grey ) should arrive in the week coming.
This looks like the ultimate combo with the velocity !
Is that an original or a clone ? I'm looking to order one from china, what are your thoughts about the clones ?
I've ordered several clone velocitys from China and I didn't have good luck so I spent the few extra dollars and bought a tobeco clone and it's great. I know tobeco is still a china clone but you can by a tobeco clone about anywhere. I've used it everyday for a couple months and it does real well. Sorry about being a little off topic lol

JeepR KReapR

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
SE Michigan
My Boxer has been awesome although the screen started shifting again so I have given up hope understanding why that is. On my Tuglyfe it's flush, centered, .. on the Boxer it's just starting to recess on the same side as when I shipped it back and slip slightly off-center. I just can't care too much about it anymore as the dual 18650s take away most of the pain. Swapping the batteries is SO much nicer than the LiPo.

Although I'm not likely to buy another Boxer until I can understand why that recess happens - which is a shame because otherwise it's clearly the superior device.

The Alumylon has held up well in my first longer travel being shoved in and out of bags, dirty hands, glass breakage & leak from tank, etc. I should say _really well_ actually .. including a few knocked over events without incident or damage.

The up/down buttons broke in pretty quickly and now everything is smooth as whole milk.

I got a chance to hold it side by side with a number of other DNA 200 devices and it is, by far, the most ergonomic in my medium sized hands.

So I'll wait and see what other devices come to market because nothing beats the Boxer in terms of weight/shape/ergos but the finish isn't where I'd like for that price point. At least Ginger made sure I have a great working unit .. along those lines I'd buy a different DNA 200 from Ginger should they offer another model I'm interested in.

Cheers, -Mags

Magnus, is this slip/recess you're describing at the bottom of the screen near the up/down buttons? I've noticed my alumylon boxer has a gap at the bottom of the screen between the case & screen whereas the top of the screen sits flush with the case.

I opened it up & took out the lipo. The DNA chip seems flush with the slotted tongue that holds it in place from the back & nothing seems loose. I'm not sure if it's s faulty 3D printed case or the board/screen is faulty.

I was about to order 2 more because I love the performance & ergonomics of the device, but if this is a common QC issue I may have to hold off. Should I contact Ginger Vaper??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
Magnus, is this slip/recess you're describing at the bottom of the screen near the up/down buttons? I've noticed my alumylon boxer has a gap at the bottom of the screen between the case & screen whereas the top of the screen sits flush with the case.

No, it's at the top toward the power button. Ginger resolved it the first time and it was, according to them, a warped/faulty screen. Customer service was great even when USPS screwed up re-delivery Ginger stayed on top of it for the two weeks or so it took to get USPS to resolve.

This time it's in the same place but not as recessed as before. This is the 18650 version BTW.

I was about to order 2 more because I love the performance & ergonomics of the device, but if this is a common QC issue I may have to hold off. Should I contact Ginger Vaper??

I'm in the same boat - I love the ergos and performance better than other DNA200s I've tried but none of those have had fit/finish issues. And at this price-point that concerns me.

Ginger itself was great and I'd do business with them again.

Lastly a friend at a local vape shop bought one in nylon after I got mine - his is _perfect_. And I'd imagine many more people must be having good results otherwise it'd be a silly business proposition for Ginger to keep selling them.

I remain on the fence but before Christmas I have to make a call. -Mags

Reactions: JeepR KReapR

JeepR KReapR

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
SE Michigan
I was hoping GV was going to release the new boxer mini yesterday, it's almost the size of an IPV D2 with the yihi SX350J-V2 chip and single 26650 battery. When they had an auction for production unit #0001 in red I was hoping they were going to launch...probably supply issues with the chips.

Being an impatient man I ordered 2 more lipo DNA 200 boxers anyway. Ginger Vaper CS has been fantastic as you said, they've answered my questions at all hours of the night. I'll stick with them and hope the 2 new ones don't have any QC issues. This is the only Lipo mod I like with the 3D case and having a rechargeable battery with a decent recharge rate is a big selling point to me right now since the wife has issues with changing batteries. I also enjoy the convenience as long as one is charged and would like to start reducing the IMR charger & battery clutter around the house.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
Ginger Vaper CS has been fantastic as you said, they've answered my questions at all hours of the night.

Agreed entirely on this sentiment - I've had to send questions to various vape shops over the years and more often than not didn't get an answer at all. Ginger answered, carried through, etc. On that they get +++ rating from me. -Mags

Reactions: Yozhik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread