Nautilus Mini Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaCrowley

Nov 27, 2015
Hi everyone. I'm Lisa. I've been reading the forum and you all seemed like people that could possibly help me. I'm trying to save $$ on coils and I've tried several times to rebuild my Mini coil and it keeps shorting. I've watched numerous videos, including Rips, followed the examples and examined the coils that have burned out. I'm at a complete loss. Anyone have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? Thank you in advance for any suggestions! ! And I apologize if this has been covered previously.

If you are rebuilding the nautilus mini BVC coils make sure ...
  • that the two leads coming from both the top and the bottom of the coil are on opposite sides of each other
  • that you get two wraps of cotton around the coil before you fold the top lead down
  • that those two leads are as straight as you can make them and don't touch each other or the body until down near the grommet and pin
  • that the top lead wire is the one that goes between the grommet and the coil body
  • that the bottom lead is the one that goes between the pin and the grommet
  • that you have trimmed the excess wires really close to the body and pin so it doesnt short out against you r tank base when you screw it in.
good luck and let us know how it goes!

Reactions: 93gc40
Hi everyone. I'm Lisa. I've been reading the forum and you all seemed like people that could possibly help me. I'm trying to save $$ on coils and I've tried several times to rebuild my Mini coil and it keeps shorting. I've watched numerous videos, including Rips, followed the examples and examined the coils that have burned out. I'm at a complete loss. Anyone have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? Thank you in advance for any suggestions! ! And I apologize if this has been covered previously.
Oh, and hey ... welcome to the forum. It's my first day too.

Reactions: LisaCrowley
Why not just buy an rba? Easier to rebuild and more flavour
While I whole-heartedly agree with both easy to build and more flavor on the rba front ... since @LisaCrowley is rebuilding nautilus mini OCC coils my guess is she's a mouth-to-lung vaper (not all of us tend to the cloudier side :) ) or perhaps she is a bit like me, in that I use an rta, rdta around the house, but when i go about my daily activities -- work and errands and such -- i use my nautilus mini. More than one way to skin the vaping cat! Just super happy that y'all are enjoying this activity enough to give back to the community by being a part of forums like this.

Cheers.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Hard to say what is going wrong for you without seeing. But simple to say, something metal is touching another something metal, at a place it is not intending to touch that particular bit of metal. I suggest you get a magnifying glass or jewelers loop.. That way you can see UP CLOSE what is happening inside the coilhead. You are metering these coil before installing them, correct! Are they reading the correct ohms, at build time and once installed in the atty, when atty fully assembled and filled and if possible once installed in/on the mod. ALL these checks should have same result. The point at which you get the wrong result is likely the area of the problem.

Reactions: LisaCrowley

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I used Rip Tripper's video and didn't have any problems. Other than the fact that it's a tiny lil coil housig and a serious PITA for my stubby fingers. I would suggest a Kayfun Lite. 10x easier to build on and better flavor. You can get one cheaper than a 5 pack of Nautilus coils.
If not for that tiny fill screw thing in the bottom I would agree.
That is what keeps me away from the Kayfuns.
And yes I know they have a 32 piece topfill beast. V4?

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
they have a 32 piece topfill beast. V4?
Yeah. My old B&M tried to sell me one of those things every time I walked in the door. (Part of the reason I quit going in there.) I looked at it and gave it a pass. Too many parts and it looks too fiddly. The bottom fill hole is manageable. I can actually fill it out of a 4 oz twist top bottle or a glass dropper if I'm careful. FT has some top fill top caps for the KFL that I keep meaning to buy, but always forget when I go shopping.

LisaCrowley

Nov 27, 2015
Hard to say what is going wrong for you without seeing. But simple to say, something metal is touching another something metal, at a place it is not intending to touch that particular bit of metal. I suggest you get a magnifying glass or jewelers loop.. That way you can see UP CLOSE what is happening inside the coilhead. You are metering these coil before installing them, correct! Are they reading the correct ohms, at build time and once installed in the atty, when atty fully assembled and filled and if possible once installed in/on the mod. ALL these checks should have same result. The point at which you get the wrong result is likely the area of the problem.
I'll try that. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread