Class Action Lawsuit Did Not Know Vapor Contained Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
It seems that the source cited by the OP may have mis-stated the facts somewhat. According to Law360, and confirmed by the original lawsuit (Here).

"Named plaintiff Jerod Harris claims that the Reynolds American Inc. subsidiary violated California state consumer protection and unfair competition laws by marketing Vuse electronic cigarettes in a way that fails to inform customers of the potential health risks incurred by using the products, specifically, inhalation of the carcinogens formaldehyde and acetaldehyde.

So the article is an even bigger load of trash than is readily apparent.

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
Looks like a labelling lawsuit. He doesn't have to know or not know - the claim is that under California law, if it has Nic, it has to have a "Known to the State of California to cause cancer" label. Like everything. I swear, they have that sign everywhere you go - no one pays it any attention.

I'm aware that ingested (at a dose too high to not be vomited out immediately) nicotine can be toxic, but I certainly have not come across any reputable studies that show nicotine as a carcinogen. Anyone have a link?

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
I'm aware that ingested (at a dose too high to not be vomited out immediately) nicotine can be toxic, but I certainly have not come across any reputable studies that show nicotine as a carcinogen. Anyone have a link?

Me either. I've seen tons that say it's as safe as caffeine though.

The source in the OP misstates the case. The plaintiff is NOT suing because there's nicotine in ejuice:

"Named plaintiff Jerod Harris claims that the Reynolds American Inc. subsidiary violated California state consumer protection and unfair competition laws by marketing Vuse electronic cigarettes in a way that fails to inform customers of the potential health risks incurred by using the products, specifically, inhalation of the carcinogens formaldehyde and acetaldehyde.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
How are finding these fools? Goggle: "idiots and vaping"? This goes in well with the scrotally inflamed fellow you posted earlier.

In an earlier time, they were called "Ambulance Chasers" because they'd follow ambulances to the hospital, after accidents to try and get clients. They were considered just about the lowest of bottom feeders.
Nowadays all they have to do is advertise

Reactions: EBates

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
For some reason, nicotine is a carcinogen in California, and only causes birth defects there. NT has had that on their labels awhile now due to that labeling law.

I suspect the CA lawsuit has more to do with hey, look, its not on these products! We can make money!

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/reports/50-years-of-progress/sgr50-chap-5.pdf

Human Studies

Very little human data are on human cancer risk relating to nicotine. The Lung Health Study is the only study that provides information about long-term users of NRT (Murray et al. 2009). This study was not designed to directly examine nicotine’s potential cancer risk. It was a 5-year randomized trial to assess the effects of smoking cessation and reduction on chronic lung disease and lung function. Among 5,887 persons initially enrolled, the researchers continued to follow them for an additional 7 years (n = 3,220). Study participants were offered NRT without consideration of randomization or study design. Although they were encouraged to use NRT for only 6 months, many continued to use it long term. A total of 75 lung cancers were diagnosed among smokers and quitters of the extended surveillance group, but the use of NRT was not associated with lung cancer (or other cancers).

Summary

There is insufficient data to conclude that nicotine causes or contributes to cancer in humans, but there is evidence showing possible oral, esophageal, or pancreatic cancer risks.

---
The 75 cancers out of 3,220 - were smokers or ex-smokers - but the use of NRT (nicotine only) was not associated with lung or other cancers. That's a pretty bright differentiation. In vivo (humans) they were not 'associated' or 'causative'. Only in vitro (glass) is there an 'association' - as are thousands of substances - considered 'agents', 'tumor promoters' and other associations, but not carcinogenic.

Wiki: nicotine

In vitro studies have associated it with cancer, but carcinogenicity has not been demonstrated in vivo. There is inadequate research to demonstrate that nicotine is associated with cancer in humans.

----
In vitro (within glass - ie test tube) vs. in vivo (within the living). The in vitro 'association' isn't 'causative' but like many substances that aren't carcinogenic, they are 'associated' with other substances that are - either as tumor 'promoters', or simply are substances seen, again without causation, and are not considered at any level of carcinogenicity.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I know, just saying the science behind nicotine by itself doesn't warrant a carcinogen warning.

For some reason, nicotine is a carcinogen in California, and only causes birth defects there. NT has had that on their labels awhile now due to that labeling law.

I suspect the CA lawsuit has more to do with hey, look, its not on these products! We can make money!
CA is a special place, and prop 65 is just about the best example of how a well meaning initiative can go horribly wrong. The list of chemicals/substances that can potentially cause cancer OR birth defects OR reproductive problems is currently 23 pages long. There are a few glaring problems with this list. The first is that there are various avenues for a chemical to be added to the list, not all of which actually require scientific proof(think classified by the FDA). The second is that there is almost no attention given to amounts present. And of course, the most obvious problem in CA, is that the warning is so all encompassing that it is ubiquitous and therefore utterly ignored.

Some of my favorites:
Alcoholic beverages
Aspirin
Mustard Gas
Wood Dust
Salted Fish, Chinese style
Oral Contraceptives
Unleaded Gasoline

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas

Here is a prop 65 label California style.

5e34180428355db582916e9a963cc58f.jpg

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
The source in the OP misstates the case. The plaintiff is NOT suing because there's nicotine in ejuice:

My understanding is formaldehyde is even in the air we breathe,
naturally. I may be in error yet if that is the case, do we need to
label the air as well?

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
In vitro studies have associated it with cancer, but carcinogenicity has not been demonstrated in vivo. There is inadequate research to demonstrate that nicotine is associated with cancer in humans.

So from prior documentation the "population" studied were, either previously or currently smokers. Now, I am still not convinced that smoking cigarettes is a "sure fire" way to get cancer (my personal view is that heredity and stress load have a much higher correlation - although not necessarily causation), but it seriously questions whether nicotine has anything to do with it.

As a child of a parent afflicted with diagnosed Alzheimers and the papers that Dr. Quick of the Parkinson's institute have illustrated - the very last thing I want to do as a vaper is cut back on my nicotine intake.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
My understanding is formaldehyde is even in the air we breathe,
naturally. I may be in error yet if that is the case, do we need to
label the air as well?
It's actually a product of respiration. So it's in our breath as we exhale. All of us Californians should have a prop 65 warning tattooed on our foreheads, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread