FDA FDA's leaked guidance for PMTAs confirm deeming reg would ban >99.9% of nicotine vapor products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shameless

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2015
Waterford, Mi
Did I not address your concerns directly before?

I think many here are pro reasonable regulations. I think we differ (perhaps greatly) on what makes for reasonable regulations. A lot of times, in a lot of threads, people (fellow vapers) have to paint a picture of vaping right now being inherently dangerous. There are numerous examples of this. You've brought up some. Our actual opposition does it pretty much all the time. IMO, if you do it, and you're a fellow vaper, you ought to be called out on it, and your rhetoric ought to be squarely dealt with. Hopefully if you can dish it out, you can take it.

It is challenging to understand how you can see yourself as "pro" regulation (with pro in quotes) while also noting realization that FDA proposed regs are wrong / too extreme. If you said just the latter part, you'd find that a great majority agree with you. But if you come back and say, "I'm pro FDA regulations" then what is the reasonable expectation there?

With what the FDA proposed in April 2014, there is really no reason (at all) for them to touch flavors in the industry UNLESS they provide another comment period and essentially listen to various parties on what it would mean to go in that direction. Instead, the leaked info indicates that what they told us (explicitly) during proposed deeming was quite likely deception, as in false advertising. And it is inherently unreasonable to think they would do more without a comment period or due process.

I still wonder why any vaper/human thinks there will be "safe" juice post FDA deeming? Chantix is available right now for those who care to quit smoking and is it "safe?"
I understand what you are saying and let me be a little more specific - but since I am not a lawyer or a long time vaper, I might not get it all right.

I can be "pro" regulation and believe that the proposed regulation is too severe, I guess I dont understand what you dont understand about that. I believe in some regulation.

I believe in the FDA testing ejuice to make sure the ingredients specified are what is actually in the juice.
I believe in spot checks (like with any consumable) to check for safe handling, clean work environment, proper procedures, etc (and the etc covers anything I do not know yet about creating ejuice, so I cant be much more specific)

I believe in testing all flavoring for inhalation safety/not just consumption. We have found some flavors to be unsafe to inhale like some menthols and oils. And the stuff that starts with a D that makes the buttery flavor (forgot the name off the top of my head)

I believe that every recipe should be checked for actual levels of nicotine.
I believe that the handling of things like peanuts should be standard so people with allergies dont need to worry
I believe that PG/VG levels need to be checked (since there are many that are sensitive to it)
I also think that when a juice states that it is Kosher that should be verified.

I also think that any juice that causes cracks/breaks in plastic tanks should have a mandatory safety warning so people know not to use plastic tanks when vaping it.

Considering I have been vaping for around a month and a half - I am sure there are other things that should be checked that I have no knowledge of, but I also believe that if the regs were written with the cooperation of people in the vaping industry - they would know they things to look out for more than I do.

I DO NOT believe in making sellers of ejuice pay $1000s per flavor/per nic level/per pg/vg ration is appropriate and that should be done based on each flavor with a recipe for all the variations to check for what I stated above.

As far as manufacturers of Mods, I really cant speak on the subject since I just started using one and am not very knowledgeable yet.

I don't believe vaping is inherently dangerous (I do it) - but I do think that anything consumed should be tested for safety and accuracy. Even a lot of the creators of ejuice agree considering they send their juice out to be "certified" by 3rd parties.

I know that FDA regulations cant guarantee 100% safety but they can check for the things I mentioned and they can have the "spot check" possibility, to increase the odds of maintaining clean and safe environments.

I swear half the comments in this thread imply that if a person thinks regulations can help, then they must think that the government is their savior and if they get involved no harm can come to them. That is not the case. But having a basic level of standards and health checks does provide for more safety then there is now.

I quit smoking to be healthier, I want FDA regulations to help with that quest, not to guarantee it, but to help with it.

Read any of the DIY threads in ECF and you will see things like "don't use this flavor because it has this in it" "don't use this because it has coloring", "don't use this because it makes plastic crack", "don't use this flavoring because it uses real maple syrup", etc. SOME things can be checked, and I think they should be.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
@Shameless, seems you walked into us all gettin' ready to finish a barfight with the FDA…but you missed the first nine rounds. The scenario does pose an interesting proposition — how do we bring the message home to the 90%+ of vapers without our level of factual motivation and emotional investment? Most people think vape is smoke, tobacco kills and nicotine is addictive. All lies fed the public by our government. You assume what would otherwise be a reasonable expectation we exhibit some trust towards government. You are at a disadvantage. You've actually arrived at the scene of a crime. You are the investigator. Unfortunately we are all tired of being the victims.

Good luck truly. We're all in the same boat.

:)

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
If all e liquid was DIY and all devices were mail order from China what would be the politics and regulations be? The big fat juicy tax target is pre mix but they can't squeeze that goose very hard--unless they start a drug war over nic.
If enough people DIY then DIY will rise way above the radar ground clutter and then, yes, they will declare war nic and bulk nic users. It will become a criminal offence to possess "commercial quantities" (1 liter will definitely be there) just like it is now a criminal offense to transport cigarettes across state lines. Bringing 10 cartons of cigs into my state is considered "intent to distribute" and a 5 figure problem if you get caught, factoring in legal costs. Don't assume it can't or won't happen. It is actually quite inevitable and there is plenty of precedent.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
@Shameless, seems you walked into us all gettin' ready to finish a barfight with the FDA…but you missed the first nine rounds. The scenario does pose an interesting proposition — how do we bring the message home to the 90%+ of vapers without our level of factual motivation and emotional investment? Most people think vape is smoke, tobacco kills and nicotine is addictive. All lies fed the public by our government. You assume what would otherwise be a reasonable expectation we exhibit some trust towards government. You are at a disadvantage. You've actually arrived at the scene of a crime. You are the investigator. Unfortunately we are all tired of being the victims.

Nice observation.

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I understand what you are saying and let me be a little more specific - but since I am not a lawyer or a long time vaper, I might not get it all right.

I can be "pro" regulation and believe that the proposed regulation is too severe, I guess I dont understand what you dont understand about that. I believe in some regulation.

The FDA part is what I don't understand. One thing I've noticed with many that come here is that are in for a wake up call about what FDA regulations actually mean. I would be one of the many of which I speak. At same time, I agree that self regulation won't address the entire industry, and some third party (like FDA) is needed for those that want ALL vendors to comply. Me, I don't.

And I think current / recent status quo shows quite nicely that we don't need industry wide regulation.

I believe in the FDA testing ejuice to make sure the ingredients specified are what is actually in the juice.
I believe in spot checks (like with any consumable) to check for safe handling, clean work environment, proper procedures, etc (and the etc covers anything I do not know yet about creating ejuice, so I cant be much more specific)

At like a really superficial level, I don't think these are (entirely) unreasonable. But I think it is example of what you want could differ from what fellow vapers want. Not differ in say "only you want this, while all of us agree on another path." And instead more like, if we got into all the fine details of each of these points, we'd probably have all sorts of variation in our opinions.

Like with clean work environment, and knowing the link that Kent C provided in post before yours, would you be okay with say "up to 50 rodent hairs in a 30 ml bottle is permissible?" I'm thinking the answer to that is no, and yet, that to me is reasonable expectation given FDA's track record. So, an issue like the recent diacetyl 'problem' is something I feel fairly confident that the FDA will allow in eLiquids (assuming they even allow for sale of eLiquid). Several here have a zero tolerance policy on it. Thus, I would argue that they are even more zealous in their approach to this particular compound than what FDA is likely to allow. But I use this as one of around 800 nuances that we could all discuss if we really wanted to get into the minutiae. Cause just saying "clean work environment" leaves lots of room for what does that really mean?

And so from FDA's proposal perspective it means, everything you can possibly think of, time 10. Which is why it is possible to think applications for your 'new' product to go on the FDA legal market may be 25 million dollars. All because consumers are 'demanding' specific details on ingredients, safe handling, clean work environment, etc.

Me, I don't see why checking for that stuff would cost more than $1000, and I'm thinking you agree. But, political reality is it'll likely cost at least $10,000 (to the business) for a spot check, and then who knows how much to become compliant with whatever FDA deems necessary for full compliance. And that dollar figure is assuming you've paid the million dollar fee just to be able to participate on the market.

So, me who doesn't really care for industry wide regulations just assume it goes to the underground market, where whatever you think should happen with your product, won't. Or EXACTLY like the gray market you and every vaper (who fell in love with vaping) have been enjoying thus far.

I believe in testing all flavoring for inhalation safety/not just consumption. We have found some flavors to be unsafe to inhale like some menthols and oils. And the stuff that starts with a D that makes the buttery flavor (forgot the name off the top of my head)

I believe that every recipe should be checked for actual levels of nicotine.
I believe that the handling of things like peanuts should be standard so people with allergies dont need to worry
I believe that PG/VG levels need to be checked (since there are many that are sensitive to it)
I also think that when a juice states that it is Kosher that should be verified.

I also think that any juice that causes cracks/breaks in plastic tanks should have a mandatory safety warning so people know not to use plastic tanks when vaping it.

So glad I addressed all this stuff already. IMO, you are clearly justifying thousands of reasonable dollars and (more likely) millions of government dollars that vaping companies have to pay. I'm not sure what kind of products you are enjoying now as a vaper, but it is IMO highly unlikely that some of them will be able to fully comply. I welcome them to participate in the black market. The ones that are alive and well on the open/legal market will clearly be known as BV, and whatever it is you (or anyone) currently thinks of BT, will very likely be what you come to think (and think you know) about BV. It's not like mainstream media and anti-vape people are going to be all nicey nice about these large corporations doing billions of dollars in distributing vape goods. Vapers might like them, but I'm thinking it'll likely be most (long term) vapers are engaged in DIY/black market and that many of those same people will possibly resent BV (for a whole range of reasons), but near the top of that will be strong perception that they are essentially in bed with FDA regulators.

Considering I have been vaping for around a month and a half - I am sure there are other things that should be checked that I have no knowledge of, but I also believe that if the regs were written with the cooperation of people in the vaping industry - they would know they things to look out for more than I do.

I DO NOT believe in making sellers of ejuice pay $1000s per flavor/per nic level/per pg/vg ration is appropriate and that should be done based on each flavor with a recipe for all the variations to check for what I stated above.

As far as manufacturers of Mods, I really cant speak on the subject since I just started using one and am not very knowledgeable yet.

I don't believe vaping is inherently dangerous (I do it) - but I do think that anything consumed should be tested for safety and accuracy. Even a lot of the creators of ejuice agree considering they send their juice out to be "certified" by 3rd parties.

For specific, and very limited, items. FDA (and any real third party regulator) is going to want to be as comprehensive as possible. With all the things you have listed, I'd love to see you do an itemized line count where you add up the total for what you think is truly reasonable cost to do those sorts of checks/testing. Not from consumer perspective, but from perspective of you'll be getting paid to do the work, and you have $100,000 in student loans to pay back while you keep yourself busy on this new FDA regulation. Plus liability type considerations in case you are not 100% accurate, cause after all if the vaping business needs to be up to snuff, shouldn't the regulators be top notch as well?

I know that FDA regulations cant guarantee 100% safety but they can check for the things I mentioned and they can have the "spot check" possibility, to increase the odds of maintaining clean and safe environments.

I swear half the comments in this thread imply that if a person thinks regulations can help, then they must think that the government is their savior and if they get involved no harm can come to them. That is not the case. But having a basic level of standards and health checks does provide for more safety then there is now.

The "basic" levels thing is what I feel is the disputable part. Me, I'm fine with the basic level being the anecdotal evidence we've established over the past 5 years. That works for me. You may have your own set of what basic testing/checking entails. Perhaps if you itemized everything and addressed all that you think is reasonable, I'd understand better what you mean by "reasonable" regulations. Without that, then we only have FDA's version of reasonable, and this thread dealing with 'leaked' info suggests it is, according to what I think you and I (and many other vapers) think, so ridiculously over the top that it will be interesting to see if more than 5 companies (selling anything vape related) can enter into the legal market.

I quit smoking to be healthier, I want FDA regulations to help with that quest, not to guarantee it, but to help with it.

I didn't quit smoking via vaping. Nor do I have that intention. Just noting this cause IMO, that has nothing to do with legalization of vaping. In fact, legally it almost can't have anything to do with that (in terms of marketing).

Read any of the DIY threads in ECF and you will see things like "don't use this flavor because it has this in it" "don't use this because it has coloring", "don't use this because it makes plastic crack", "don't use this flavoring because it uses real maple syrup", etc. SOME things can be checked, and I think they should be.

Checked by the consumer, suggested to industry. That's how I take it. Insist on it being industry wide and I think there is almost no basis for "basic" regulations given the way FSPTCA is written.

Reactions: Shameless

Shameless

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2015
Waterford, Mi

And THAT is why I posed my initial question asking why!

I KNOW I dont know all there is to know about this. (that sentence is funny with all the knows in it - I should add some nos too!! :) )

I know some people understand this a lot more than I. I've read all the docs put out, I've tried to educate myself. I have done the legwork that I know how to do.

So I posed a simple question.

I am not naive enough to believe the government is there just to protect us, I know big money comes into play more than I would like to believe. But I also know that health and safety regulations DO save lives too.

I know the proposed regs are too strong and will cause harm to the industry - but I also believe that things like CASAA, can help to limit the damage, when pointed at the right fight. And that fight is NOT no regs. There will be regs no matter what, so the question becomes what are the right regs? What can we fix and regulate to actually help prevent harm? What is too much? Those things I don't know (I am very new to this), but obviously by posting in this thread I wanted to get information - and that's how people learn.

Your response sounded to me like it was said on a great big sigh. Like the old wolf not wanting to explain to the new pup again and again and again, and that's fine. (yea I did call you a wolf, name calling!! lol)

But I will stay optimistic and believe that as a group, vapers can effect change, AND promote health and safety too, hopefully before the idiots in washington that know nothing about the industry use that vast knowledge to regulate it incorrectly.

Shameless

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2015
Waterford, Mi
The FDA part is what I don't understand. One thing I've noticed with many that come here is that are in for a wake up call about what FDA regulations actually mean. I would be one of the many of which I speak. At same time, I agree that self regulation won't address the entire industry, and some third party (like FDA) is needed for those that want ALL vendors to comply. Me, I don't.

And I think current / recent status quo shows quite nicely that we don't need industry wide regulation.

At like a really superficial level, I don't think these are (entirely) unreasonable. But I think it is example of what you want could differ from what fellow vapers want. Not differ in say "only you want this, while all of us agree on another path." And instead more like, if we got into all the fine details of each of these points, we'd probably have all sorts of variation in our opinions.

Like with clean work environment, and knowing the link that Kent C provided in post before yours, would you be okay with say "up to 50 rodent hairs in a 30 ml bottle is permissible?" I'm thinking the answer to that is no, and yet, that to me is reasonable expectation given FDA's track record. So, an issue like the recent diacetyl 'problem' is something I feel fairly confident that the FDA will allow in eLiquids (assuming they even allow for sale of eLiquid). Several here have a zero tolerance policy on it. Thus, I would argue that they are even more zealous in their approach to this particular compound than what FDA is likely to allow. But I use this as one of around 800 nuances that we could all discuss if we really wanted to get into the minutiae. Cause just saying "clean work environment" leaves lots of room for what does that really mean?

And so from FDA's proposal perspective it means, everything you can possibly think of, time 10. Which is why it is possible to think applications for your 'new' product to go on the FDA legal market may be 25 million dollars. All because consumers are 'demanding' specific details on ingredients, safe handling, clean work environment, etc.

Me, I don't see why checking for that stuff would cost more than $1000, and I'm thinking you agree. But, political reality is it'll likely cost at least $10,000 (to the business) for a spot check, and then who knows how much to become compliant with whatever FDA deems necessary for full compliance. And that dollar figure is assuming you've paid the million dollar fee just to be able to participate on the market.

So, me who doesn't really care for industry wide regulations just assume it goes to the underground market, where whatever you think should happen with your product, won't. Or EXACTLY like the gray market you and every vaper (who fell in love with vaping) have been enjoying thus far.

So glad I addressed all this stuff already. IMO, you are clearly justifying thousands of reasonable dollars and (more likely) millions of government dollars that vaping companies have to pay. I'm not sure what kind of products you are enjoying now as a vaper, but it is IMO highly unlikely that some of them will be able to fully comply. I welcome them to participate in the black market. The ones that are alive and well on the open/legal market will clearly be known as BV, and whatever it is you (or anyone) currently thinks of BT, will very likely be what you come to think (and think you know) about BV. It's not like mainstream media and anti-vape people are going to be all nicey nice about these large corporations doing billions of dollars in distributing vape goods. Vapers might like them, but I'm thinking it'll likely be most (long term) vapers are engaged in DIY/black market and that many of those same people will possibly resent BV (for a whole range of reasons), but near the top of that will be strong perception that they are essentially in bed with FDA regulators.

For specific, and very limited, items. FDA (and any real third party regulator) is going to want to be as comprehensive as possible. With all the things you have listed, I'd love to see you do an itemized line count where you add up the total for what you think is truly reasonable cost to do those sorts of checks/testing. Not from consumer perspective, but from perspective of you'll be getting paid to do the work, and you have $100,000 in student loans to pay back while you keep yourself busy on this new FDA regulation. Plus liability type considerations in case you are not 100% accurate, cause after all if the vaping business needs to be up to snuff, shouldn't the regulators be top notch as well?

The "basic" levels thing is what I feel is the disputable part. Me, I'm fine with the basic level being the anecdotal evidence we've established over the past 5 years. That works for me. You may have your own set of what basic testing/checking entails. Perhaps if you itemized everything and addressed all that you think is reasonable, I'd understand better what you mean by "reasonable" regulations. Without that, then we only have FDA's version of reasonable, and this thread dealing with 'leaked' info suggests it is, according to what I think you and I (and many other vapers) think, so ridiculously over the top that it will be interesting to see if more than 5 companies (selling anything vape related) can enter into the legal market.

I didn't quit smoking via vaping. Nor do I have that intention. Just noting this cause IMO, that has nothing to do with legalization of vaping. In fact, legally it almost can't have anything to do with that (in terms of marketing).

Checked by the consumer, suggested to industry. That's how I take it. Insist on it being industry wide and I think there is almost no basis for "basic" regulations given the way FSPTCA is written.
Thanks for taking all that time. Obviously we have differing views - but I appreciate you stating yours

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
If enough people DIY then DIY will rise way above the radar ground clutter and then, yes, they will declare war nic and bulk nic users. It will become a criminal offence to possess "commercial quantities" (1 liter will definitely be there) just like it is now a criminal offense to transport cigarettes across state lines. Bringing 10 cartons of cigs into my state is considered "intent to distribute" and a 5 figure problem if you get caught, factoring in legal costs. Don't assume it can't or won't happen. It is actually quite inevitable and there is plenty of precedent.

But wouldn't criminalizing some types of nicotine distribution or sale while permitting others evidence a regulatory favoritism? Likely provoke all manner of costly litigation? Counterproductive when you are seeking to normalize revenues going forward. Not to mention that the FDA I believe has no such jurisdiction. So to my view Congress would need to pass a specific act publicly elevating such an adventure to the level of overtly creating a tobacco oligarchy. That would not sit well with most of us given the government's decades long war on tobacco. Nor lend much to the credibility of the avowed purposes (whatever they might be) of such legislation.

Barring such a prohibition, there's nothing to stop you from doing it.

Save the children works much better.

Good luck.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Vaping will redirect an $800 billion stream of tax revenue back into the private economy. It's the Mother of all tax cuts. A lot of units of government in the world, local and national might not remain solvent when that money disappears. Vaping is a national security threat in some places. We are making some serious trouble. I'm in hog heaven.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
And THAT is why I posed my initial question asking why!

I KNOW I dont know all there is to know about this. (that sentence is funny with all the knows in it - I should add some nos too!! :) )

I know some people understand this a lot more than I. I've read all the docs put out, I've tried to educate myself. I have done the legwork that I know how to do.

So I posed a simple question.

I am not naive enough to believe the government is there just to protect us, I know big money comes into play more than I would like to believe. But I also know that health and safety regulations DO save lives too.

I know the proposed regs are too strong and will cause harm to the industry - but I also believe that things like CASAA, can help to limit the damage, when pointed at the right fight. And that fight is NOT no regs. There will be regs no matter what, so the question becomes what are the right regs? What can we fix and regulate to actually help prevent harm? What is too much? Those things I don't know (I am very new to this), but obviously by posting in this thread I wanted to get information - and that's how people learn.

Your response sounded to me like it was said on a great big sigh. Like the old wolf not wanting to explain to the new pup again and again and again, and that's fine. (yea I did call you a wolf, name calling!! lol)

But I will stay optimistic and believe that as a group, vapers can effect change, AND promote health and safety too, hopefully before the idiots in washington that know nothing about the industry use that vast knowledge to regulate it incorrectly.

Funny I wrote a response to you answering your question but sent the other. Simply, to be trusted the FDA must prove itself trustworthy. Threatening an entire industry and us as consumer dependents does not invoke confidence but fear. That's not government's job.

I would add that a great many progressives themselves object to the scale that regulatory expansion has ascended. That, like me, believe there is considerable potential for collusion of these organs and the entities they administer. Personally favor dismantling and a fundamental restructuring of the FDA.

Not offended. Been called far worse. But a I do take exception to the "mansplainin'" inference. Just funnin' ya.

Take care and good luck.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
In other industries, those kinds of regulations were implemented after actual harm to consumers was documented. Aside from a few injuries due to battery failures, I'm not aware of any harm our vapes have ever caused, are you?

But that's not what we're getting. What we're getting is is effectively a ban on 99% of the stuff we can currently choose from. Instead, it looks like our choices will be limited to products made by a dozen (or fewer) companies who have the resources to file acceptable PMTAs.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

Won't be regs in the underground market.

I'm going to keep bringing this up because it bears repeating. Also because the underground market and what we have right now are very similar, with obvious difference being that B&M's or online vendors won't be able to market themselves. Thank God we live in the information age where news can travel very fast.

But right now, everything that is marketed is under attack. So perhaps not marketing is not such a bad way to go. Genie is so far out of the bottle that a current smoker would have to be new to the planet to not realize eCig devices exist and they can serve as alternative to regular smoking. And who knows how strong the resistance movement will become? Could be that the underground market is vastly more popular/well known than the legal one.

Anyway, in the underground market there won't be regs, and is main point I wanted to touch upon. There will for sure be standards, and may even be consortiums where groups have own set of self regulations in place. But regulations that cover the entire underground market? Ain't gonna happen. Wouldn't be prudent.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So now I am reading up on DIY!! lol
Good, 'cause once the regulations are in force, you probably won't like the few flavored liquids that you'll be able to buy ready-made -- that is if any liquids that aren't sold in pre-filled cartridges pass muster with the FDA.

Look at the bright side though. Once you get it sorted and stock up, you'll be able to vape for the rest of your life at just about zero cost.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
So now I am reading up on DIY!! lol

And looking for a good DIY Starter kit to get me a place to start!
Just get a liter of 100mg and put it in the freezer and then start researching. You don't have to start DIY immediately. That will set you back 50 bucks and has the same mg of nic as 5000 packs of cigarettes.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
So to my view Congress would need to pass a specific act publicly elevating such an adventure to the level of overtly creating a tobacco oligarchy.

Just reading (from an earlier search) where Cato and CEI (and others) filed suit or amicus briefs on the MSA violating the Anti-trust laws where all 50 states collaborated in shaking down the tobacco industry. One point was that the states violated the commerce clause in that money from buying cigarettes in one state is 'given' to other states abridging some aspect of interstate commerce. Like they've tried with other substances.

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa371.pdf

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Just reading (from an earlier search) where Cato and CEI (and others) filed suit or amicus briefs on the MSA violating the Anti-trust laws where all 50 states collaborated in shaking down the tobacco industry. One point was that the states violated the commerce clause in that money from buying cigarettes in one state is 'given' to other states abridging some aspect of interstate commerce. Like they've tried with other substances.

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa371.pdf

Remember the arguments vaguely, but yes. Thx for this link. I was tasked with evaluating emerging anti-smoking laws for my corp in the day. Followed a bit after the first lawsuit was filed here in FL. And good point, the fed's power is to balance the interests of the respective states (truly the heart of the law). We've come a long way baby. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent C

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
Thanks!

I do realize the anger was about the regulations - but since I was voicing concern and asking why we shouldn't have them - the anger was directed at me. If you look back, there was name calling and I was made to feel small.

I do understand that happens especially with online discussions - but I was the only person "pro" regulation - so it was directed at me pretty vehemently.

Again - that happens - I just chose to take myself out of the discussion.

I also do realize that the FDAs proposed regs are wrong - and too extreme - but I don't think regulation should be entirely dismissed, and I think there might be a way to lobby our legislators for logical guidelines - not "none".

Yes, some vapers are extremely educated, know where to buy juice, know what to look for that is harmful, etc. But there are a ton of "new" vapers that have no idea. They shouldn't be left to their own devices (hell half of the population doesnt even know their multiplication tables or to spell correctly, do we really think they will research "safe" juices?
What I don't understand in your train of thought is why you want to defer to the WORST avenue available. The FDA and their history of corruption. You seem to think consumers need government to tell us what we need. WE DONT!!! I refer you to ISO, Consumer reports, United labs, etal. These all started by consumers/for consumers wanting to create and push for standards and they have been more effective than ANY government agency ever has been.

Think about it. Would you buy an electrical appliance that doesn't have the UL listed seal of approval for safety standards?

I also refer you to aspire and the changes to their coils based on concerns by Vapers. Juice makers and the diacetyl issue already being addressed even before the 5pawns debacle. The addition of CRP and the age limit imposed by makers and shops.

Shameless

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2015
Waterford, Mi
In other industries, those kinds of regulations were implemented after actual harm to consumers was documented. Aside from a few injuries due to battery failures, I'm not aware of any harm our vapes have ever caused, are you?

But that's not what we're getting. What we're getting is is effectively a ban on 99% of the stuff we can currently choose from. Instead, it looks like our choices will be limited to products made by a dozen (or fewer) companies who have the resources to file acceptable PMTAs.
I dont agree with what they have proposed - and think it needs to be changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread