Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Even with a good charger, I back it up with a little $13 Belkin timed outlet switch, set for 6 hour cutoff :)
Kinda off topic ... but I put a cheap 24 hour timer plug on my electric blanket on my bed. Don't have to wonder If I shut it off now.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I think the biggest reason is some people will plug it in (mod) and go to bed or forget about it and then something goes wrong and a battery vents. If a battery vents in the mod you lose it all. In a charger most of the good ones have protections which would minimize any loss, they are just safer.
That makes sense. I don't leave mine unattended while they are charging, but I do feel safe enough to use passthrough when I am in the vicinity. I even use it in my car (GASP!). I am always aware of what's going on with my mod, though, so I guess that's why I feel a (false?) sense of security.

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
Is it an X-tar? I love how you can do different batteries in mine. Not that I ever use anything but 18650s, but you never know when tech will change again, lol. :D

Yes, I like how the display shows the current voltage and how many mah have been put on during the charge.

Reactions: cooladdict

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I never charge my batteries inside the mods. The risks go up. Something bad may never happen, but you increase your chances by charging this way!
How, though? I guess that's what I don't understand. If the battery is going to vent (never have had that happen with any battery), would it not vent either in the mod or in the charger? I guess I just don't get why it's safer for it to vent in the charger than in the mod. Except that it might ruin the mod, but it would also ruin the charger and possibly the surrounding items if it went off in the charger, wouldn't it?

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I think there is something very attractive in the form of this Wismec RX200 (I prefer the White)

Initial thoughts are that would be quite heavy for carrying around but we go fishing a lot and the battery life would be amazing. I also would make a lanyard for it. Wismec make such good looking mods and have the Joyetech chipset (which I trust).

I also love secret prizes. :D

Good luck everyone

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
This is a pv that takes names and kicks ..... 200w and three full 18650 batteries. In a pinch it could probably be used to jump start a car. A simpler user interface than its dna200 sibling, for those of us who aren't too into the low level details. A price point that makes it accessible to a wide audience.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I am in no way fearful of lipos and actually prefer them in many instances. However, the reason I like the Reuleaux for the 18650 is availability of batteries. I can pop into most any vape shop and grab them when a set gets tired. Not so easy to snatch up the correct lipos.
My source is rc car shops for lipo packs

Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Thats the way I would do it, 3 in the mod, 3 in charge or waiting to swap. It does have pass through, but most everyone (including the manufacturer)recommends using an external charger.

Reuleaux RX200 - Wismec Electronics Co.,Ltd
I have a feeling they say this due to how slow it charges the three cells....i plugged it in last night around 12....they were almost done this morning[emoji14]

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I think the biggest reason is some people will plug it in (mod) and go to bed or forget about it and then something goes wrong and a battery vents. If a battery vents in the mod you lose it all. In a charger most of the good ones have protections which would minimize any loss, they are just safer.
Most mods now have the same type of protections...and this one does. Not only does it monitor for over voltage, it also monitors for balance between cells and will shut down for that.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
How, though? I guess that's what I don't understand. If the battery is going to vent (never have had that happen with any battery), would it not vent either in the mod or in the charger? I guess I just don't get why it's safer for it to vent in the charger than in the mod. Except that it might ruin the mod, but it would also ruin the charger and possibly the surrounding items if it went off in the charger, wouldn't it?

I think it's more about using it as a pass through (vaping while charging). I read somewhere that it was dangerous. The science behind why it wasn't safe made a lot of sense when I read it. If I come across it again I will post it for you.

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
I think it's more about using it as a pass through (vaping while charging). I read somewhere that it was dangerous. The science behind why it wasn't safe made a lot of sense when I read it. If I come across it again I will post it for you.
I don't think I would be overly concerned about charging in the mod, but wouldn't want to do pass-thru, vaping while charging. It seems it would generate more heat than I would be comfortable with. I don't vape in high wattage, but there would be some guy pass-thru vaping at 200w. I imagine that would get those 3x18650's pretty toasty, charging and chain vaping at 200w simultaneously.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Most mods...actually none that i know of....actuallu do pass through. They allow vaping while charging, but the current is still being drawn from the battery. Newer mods often shut off the charge current when vaping and switch it back on after (dna200 does this, dont know about this mod yet).

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
'zactly. The nearest vape shop is 3 miles. The nearest RC hobby shop is 73. THAT is why I prefer 18650s over replaceable lipo packs.
I have shops pretty close. Well, nothing is really close, i live pretty remote, but i have a couple rc car shops not much farther then the nearest vape shop [emoji14]

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Most mods now have the same type of protections...and this one does. Not only does it monitor for over voltage, it also monitors for balance between cells and will shut down for that.

This may very well be true (I really don't doubt it) but the second issue is a bad battery. There have been extensive tests/issues about some companies who re wrap the lower grade batteries as their own, or inflate the specs. There are also some people who will try and use an 18650 made for a laptop for instance, "because it will fit," and it just isn't worth the risk. It was either Baditude or Mooch who said 90% of battery failures occur during recharge. This fact alone tells me to use the independent charger rather than rely on the pass thru. For someone with extensive vape experience it may not be a problem to try and/or use the pass through, when the manufacturer recommends using an independent one it's probably a good idea to listen. It could be as you stated above "I have a feeling they say this due to how slow it charges the three cells", it could also be a heat related issue, or simply a recommendation because of people trying to use under spec cells and thus the potential for product harm or personal injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread