Best Way to Start Vaping on a Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

BerriesAndBacon

Feb 6, 2016
Hey everyone!

I've been a 2-3 can a day dipper (gross!) for about 8 years now. I know it's bad for me, but I can't seem to kick lady nicotine. I've tried quitting most definitely over a dozen times in those 8 years but even after taking breaks from dip I always come back.

After 8 long years of 2-3 cans per day I've obviously started noticing signs of damage done to my mouth that I can't undo, such as; recessed gums, yellow and stained teeth, and bad breath. I've avoided going to the dentist out of pure shame of my mouth, and now it's time to change.

I want to start vaping. I know vaping mainly helps ex-smokers, but I'm hoping it can help an ex-dipper out too!

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a starter kit, coils, and maybe 1 or 2 bottles of juice for $50 USD or under for everything. I'd like to start as cheap as possible just to see if it will be a good fit for me first, and then jump up to better devices if it turns out to work out well.

Thank you all for your time!

Reactions: inspects

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
If you can pick up an nebox, I gotta admit it's looking pretty good to me recently.
At least for a starter kit;
$49.43 Authentic Kanger Nebox 60W TC VW APV Mod Kit - 10ml / 0.15ohm / 7-60W / 200-600'F / 1*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

3693502-9.jpg

can use prefab heads or rebuildable heads.
10ml capacity (yippie!!)
on board charging available (good for starters)

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
You'll probably be getting plenty of recommendations soon. Getting a really good kit with everything juice included might run a little over 50, but it might be doable. If a ego battery and cheap tank works for you it is easily done. I would go with something like an istick 30 or 40 and gs air tank or maybe a sub tank. Just my preference though, a lot of other good choices will be along shortly. Good luck! And welcome to ECF, read around a little before you purchase anything.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I think I will suggest an 1Stick 30 and an Aspire Nautilus tank. As you are not a smoker, anything involving direct lung hits will probably be a bit strong for you, at least at first. The Nebox is also a good choice, especially if you are a field worker of some sort. It will fit neatly in a pocket-- right where the dip can did in your jeans-- and not take damage. It also has pretty tall coils available and would be suitable for lower powered vaping.

Vesuvius

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
You can pick up good RDA's for pretty cheap. Especially some of the clones. I use premade coils which are about 3.99 for a pack of 10 coils. Wick is super cheap. All you need after that is to decide if you want a box mod or a mechanical mod. I didnt want to spend much either and got a k100 mech mod for 40.00, Igo L RDA which wasnt much, cant remember what I paid, and some premade coils and cotton. The one thing I spent more on was good batteries and a charger but the k100 comes with batteries and a charger. The batteries are not the best but they are good enough to use for starting out with some 1.4ohm coils to see if you like vaping. Then upgrade the batts and charger later. I know thats a lot of info but this is what I have and it works great.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
+1 on the eLeaf iStick with an Aspire Nautilus Mini or GS Air M tank.

The GS Air M tank is a little less $$ than the Nautilus Mini. Tank and a 5-pk of coils go for around $10 each. Two different Kanthal coils: 1.5Ω (8-20 watts) & 1.2Ω (8-30 watts). Both are dual coils. Don't buy Nickel coils. They can only be used in a mod that offers "temperature control".

Since ALL cotton coils have to be well primed before you use, once you have made a decision, make sure to "start a new thread" so you get information on how to get started.

Sweet-Vapes carries all the above.

Video reviews below.
Visit your local vape shop for e-liquid. Most have flavor bars where you can taste test their flavors before you buy.

Also Abby Vapes has a great youtube series: Beginner Video Playlist

Last edited:

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    I would recommend buying a kanger set up. Kanger has been in the vaping market for a long time, they make great genuine products that are reasonably priced. I like them as a company. I've been using a Kbox nano setup for a month now and it's been excellent. Or, go with a Kbox mini setup for an added rebuildable option as well. I like them because they make the tank, the box, and the coils for it.

I would caution you on products made by eleaf. They're great while they're working and they are indeed inexpensive but we've had two that had some pretty decent issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoFumus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2015
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I don't know much about this kit, but I wonder if the iJust start kit plus might be good a good starting point. I've seen it as low as $22 for the kit, which includes GS Air tank, 1600 mah battery, charger & 2x extra coils. That would leave enough $$ for some juice, too.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 15, 2014
    Arizona, Ecuador
    When I started a little over a year ago, just a simple Aspire Spinner II and $8.00 Aspire Tank got me off a 40 year pack-a-day smoking habit.

I believe the Aspire Spinner II and tank was about 35 bucks total. I used it for a couple months, and still use it once in awhile. If you bought the same setup with a 30 ml bottle of juice you would be at about 50 bucks.

The trick is to buy a high enough nicotine content to ward off the nicotine urge. I started with 24 mg nicotine juice, then dropped to 18 a month later, then to 12, now 6 mg or less works fine.

You certainly don't need a sub-ohm setup to stop the nicotine urge in it's tracks. I found the higher ohm coils and tight draw very satisfying.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.....:toast:

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    Hey everyone!

I've been a 2-3 can a day dipper (gross!) for about 8 years now. I know it's bad for me, but I can't seem to kick lady nicotine. I've tried quitting most definitely over a dozen times in those 8 years but even after taking breaks from dip I always come back.

After 8 long years of 2-3 cans per day I've obviously started noticing signs of damage done to my mouth that I can't undo, such as; recessed gums, yellow and stained teeth, and bad breath. I've avoided going to the dentist out of pure shame of my mouth, and now it's time to change.

I want to start vaping. I know vaping mainly helps ex-smokers, but I'm hoping it can help an ex-dipper out too!

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a starter kit, coils, and maybe 1 or 2 bottles of juice for $50 USD or under for everything. I'd like to start as cheap as possible just to see if it will be a good fit for me first, and then jump up to better devices if it turns out to work out well.

Thank you all for your time!

You can get started very cheaply.

The people I have turned onto vaping I started them with an X6 battery, charger, a wall plug that concerts current to charge USB devices, a CE4 disposable clearomiser, and their first bottle of juice. Total outlay was $18.

If vaping didn't work they return everything except for the clearomiser. They tossed the CE4, and I refunded their money.

If vaping worked for them I told them to dispose the CE4 and have them another tank that was Rebuildable bu replacing the coil heads.

This is NOT A GREAT SYSTEM JUST ENOUGH TO SEE IF VAPING WORKS FOR YOU. if it doesn't work for you the outlay is minimal. If vaping works then improve your gear as you go along.

The first thing I would do is replace the X6 with a lot better mod. Then switch to a lot better tank

DON'T GO TO A VAPE SHOP TO BUY GEAR. get your gear online and you will only pay 30-40% as much.

One nearby Vape shop charges $40 for an X6, cable, wall plug and empty juice bottle. And disposable clearomiser.

The same thing can be had in eBay for $13 delivered to your door in 3-4 days.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    Be sure to leave plenty of room in your budget for liquid. I recommend a local shop where you can sample different flavors. I wasted a lot chasing that "perfect" flavor.

Honestly, you can get a perfectly good evod blister pack for under $10, just to see if this whole vaping thing is right for you. It's not a long term solution, but can be a good place to start.

EVOD 650mAh Variable Voltage Blister Pack Starter Kit

BerriesAndBacon

Feb 6, 2016
    I want to personally thank everyone who posted in this thread with suggestions and comments. I've looked and researched every single device posted, and I'm going to go do a second look through in a few minutes now that I have some free time from a busy Saturday. Susan I've also started watching the beginner vaping video playlist you posted here. :)

You all have made this a very pleasant introduction for a vaping newbie. It may be a few weeks before I can get a set up as I have some bulk 10-can dip tubs I need to get through first, but I'll be sure to post here once I get everything purchased.

EDIT: Grimwald that EVOD blister pack looks like a great deal also. Will I need to buy the suggested "Kanger Coil Replacement heads" that are below it on that page? I've heard a coil can last from a day to almost a week before it needs replaced. Is that true?

Thanks!!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I also agree with starting with something like an Evod, eGo, etc. very inexpensive kit first. I know they even have the Evod Double Kits with 2 batteries in them, 2 complete tanks with coils, both chargers, and 5 extra coils...for less than $22! I bought 6 of them for people that I help to switch to vaping, and so far they've done the trick for all of them.

The very affordable kits let many of us find out if vaping was for us...before we put out more money. There's plenty of upgrades, new "shiny things", etc. to spend a bunch more money on if it turns out vaping will work for you and you want to stick to it.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    A huge thank you! to everyone who has posted suggestions so far. I have a lot to learn about vaping before I get started it seems. It's not like dip where you just take a pinch and put it between your cheek and gums. :)

I love learning about new things though, so this should be fun!

Just what two bears suggested, I highly suggest you go to a vape shop, and explain everything you just told us. Online is a great place to buy gear, and you can get things done cheaply, but having someone walk you through it is worth the extra money. If hard pressed to save $$$ over advice, a place called Mt Baker Vapor offer starter kits with some starting juice of your choice. Here's some recommendations:

Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 Starter Kit It's a great starter unit. Everything here is a "tried and tested" device, and are good quality. Only downside, is if you keep vaping as a hobby, it can be a bit underpowered if you want more "clouds".

Innokin Express Starter Kit - The basic "blister kit" setup that helped most of us. I personally believe it offers a lower chance of people making a switch, but it did help me decide if vaping was do-able. The battery is small which helps first time users over the intimidation of keeping an ecig on them. You'll probably want to get a second battery so you can vape while the other one is charging.

Kanger EVOD Mega Starter Kit - The bigger version of the one above. It is a bit larger, but the battery is three times larger in both size, and capacity. It should last most people the whole day.

Just some recommendations. Mt. Baker Vapor has been around for quite a while, and are reputable. Some great people over at that company, and they offer decent prices as well and a free bottle of juice. with your order. The problem is, you don't know if you really like the juice until you get it, and juices aren't returnable. I still suggest you go to a vape shop first and try some juices to get something you like first, or get one of these devices then head to a vape shop.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread