Nicotine absorbtion from e-cig use: Comparison between First and New Generation Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
Switched to vaping six weeks ago. Was smoking a carton in about eight days. Presently vaping about 3 ml of 18mg nic per day (MTL@8W). Last week I mixed some DIY juice at 12mg and found myself vaping longer, harder, even taking some direct lung hits. Didn't initially realize why it felt unsatisfactory and am now working the new mix into my flavor routine. Glad to see some polling on vaping and happy to participate.

Reactions: hunter

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
Switched to vaping six weeks ago. Was smoking a carton in about eight days. Presently vaping about 3 ml of 18mg nic per day (MTL@8W). Last week I mixed some DIY juice at 12mg and found myself vaping longer, harder, even taking some direct lung hits. Didn't initially realize why it felt unsatisfactory and am now working the new mix into my flavor routine. Glad to see some polling on vaping and happy to participate.
Did you find the calculator in the first post provided you with the correct amount of e-liquid to avoid nicotine hunger?

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
Did you find the calculator in the first post provided you with the correct amount of e-liquid to avoid nicotine hunger?

Yes, calculator seems a very good starting point.

Took some time to look over the study and it is an interesting read. Surprising how much faster nicotine from tobacco smoke gets into the bloodstream. Though a new vaper, my device is very similar to the mod/tank combo used in the study. The device changes since the study (for the most part) seem driven by the direct to lung inhalation trend. No question in my mind the nic absorbtion rates are going to be faster than mtl given the greater amount of juice vaporized per hit combined with deeper inhalations. Even 100% faster will still lag cigarettes by about 3x.

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
I agree, the new sub ohm tanks and other would have to be at least 50% better in nicotine delivery, than older technology but less than cigarettes. This study needs to be repeated for current technology. I wish there was a blood test machine much like BSL (Blood Sugar Level) machines for diabetics. We could then do the testing ourselves.
The main thing to take away from this study is yes it takes much longer for e-cig nicotine to enter the bloodstream but vapers change their habits to suit...
Smoker = (One smoke 10 puffs, get nicotine hit)
Vaper = (Less puffs, more often, sustain nicotine hit)

I think the nicotine calculator holds true at the moment, especially as a guide for smokers wishing to convert to vaping, the +/- 10% dealing with different physiologies/equipment .

Reactions: tckenno

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hey - Very happy to help with this project. It's certainly very important.

A few initial thoughts....

1. I think one has to be careful about generalising smoking to vaping. Interestingly, the amount of nicotine required to cause significant saturation of nicotinic receptors is surprisingly small, so smokers are likely taking in more than they need to stave off withdrawal/satisfy cravings.

Vaping topology differs strongly from smoking in many cases. Think "grazing" (vape) versus "meals" (smoking). C-max and t-max are the two important figures. It's well understood that t-max in vaping is lower than in smoking, whereas c-max approaches cigarette values with advanced equipment and experience. Perhaps with vaping it stabilises through the day (due to grazing) and doesn't have the "peaks and troughs" that characterise nicotine in cigarettes.

2. Smokers transitioning to vape tend to be advised to start on a stronger liquid and then "work downwards". I'm not sure this is good advice. What we've noticed in our surveys is a tendency towards a higher power output and a lower nicotine strength amongst all users. This doesn't equate to less nicotine consumed, of course, but probably does signify greater pleasure derived from this vaping style (more visible vapor, more flavor). Sure, some smokers might appreciate the throat hit from a strong liquid, but others would be just as well, or better off, starting on a high power/low nic device/liquid combo.

3. Nicotine is absolutely NOT the only compound associated with smoking dependence. Alkaloids likely play a role, but there's a much wider range of compounds (e.g. the "Hoffman Analytes") which, taken together with nicotine, are likely essential for causing the rapid acquisition of dependence seen in cigarettes. Since the Hoffman analytes are specifically the production of combustion, they cannot (and clearly should not since most of them are highly toxic) be replicated in e-liquid. I'm highly skeptical about WTA liquids beyond the placebo (which should never be discounted, btw). I'm also skeptical about the necessity for high t-max vaping.

4. Following 2 and 3, I believe nicotine is necessary but not sufficient for transitioning to vape: the most important thing is ensuring the vaper gets enough nicotine, has products they can use easily and products that provide enough "pleasure overload" to distance from tobacco smoking. I think smokers should be encouraged to use as wide a variety of nicotine containing products as they need to stay clear of smoking: including smokeless tobacco. The reliability of vape products (including the inherent issues with batteries) is a real problem for many smokers.

5. Some researchers have called for "more addictive vaping products". I'm not sure such a thing can exist (given 3.), but also don't think it's desirable. Nicotine is a substance which seems to have low probability for dependence outside of smoking, and I think vapers often have a better relationship with it than they did when they smoked.

6. There are MASSIVE individual differences as regards dependence and the subjective effects of nicotine on smokers/vapers. This is a really tricky area and is still not well understood or honestly researched.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

3. Nicotine is absolutely NOT the only compound associated with smoking dependence. Alkaloids likely play a role, but there's a much wider range of compounds (e.g. the "Hoffman Analytes") which, taken together with nicotine, are likely essential for causing the rapid acquisition of dependence seen in cigarettes. Since the Hoffman analytes are specifically the production of combustion, they cannot (and clearly should not since most of them are highly toxic) be replicated in e-liquid. I'm highly skeptical about WTA liquids beyond the placebo (which should never be discounted, btw). I'm also skeptical about the necessity for high t-max vaping.

I think this is a Very Good Point. And one that Many New Vapers sometimes Overlook.

Tobacco Companies also put Many "Extra" Chemical Compounds into most US Cigarettes such as Flavor Enhancers. And when a person Switches to e-Cigarettes, they No Longer receive the Chemical Soup that they did when they took a Hit off an Analog.

Reactions: oliver

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
I think this is a Very Good Point. And one that Many New Vapers sometimes Overlook.

Tobacco Companies also put Many "Extra" Chemical Compounds into most US Cigarettes such as Flavor Enhancers. And when a person Switches to e-Cigarettes, they No Longer receive the Chemical Soup that they did when they took a Hit off an Analog.

Yes, flavor enhancers and PH balancers are what you might call "addiction promoters" - they make the smoke more pleasant and easier to inhale into the lungs.

Reactions: zoiDman

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
Hey - Very happy to help with this project. It's certainly very important.

A few initial thoughts....

1. I think one has to be careful about generalising smoking to vaping. Interestingly, the amount of nicotine required to cause significant saturation of nicotinic receptors is surprisingly small, so smokers are likely taking in more than they need to stave off withdrawal/satisfy cravings.

Vaping topology differs strongly from smoking in many cases. Think "grazing" (vape) versus "meals" (smoking). C-max and t-max are the two important figures. It's well understood that t-max in vaping is lower than in smoking, whereas c-max approaches cigarette values with advanced equipment and experience. Perhaps with vaping it stabilises through the day (due to grazing) and doesn't have the "peaks and troughs" that characterise nicotine in cigarettes.

2. Smokers transitioning to vape tend to be advised to start on a stronger liquid and then "work downwards". I'm not sure this is good advice. What we've noticed in our surveys is a tendency towards a higher power output and a lower nicotine strength amongst all users. This doesn't equate to less nicotine consumed, of course, but probably does signify greater pleasure derived from this vaping style (more visible vapor, more flavor). Sure, some smokers might appreciate the throat hit from a strong liquid, but others would be just as well, or better off, starting on a high power/low nic device/liquid combo.

4. Following 2 and 3, I believe nicotine is necessary but not sufficient for transitioning to vape: the most important thing is ensuring the vaper gets enough nicotine, has products they can use easily and products that provide enough "pleasure overload" to distance from tobacco smoking. I think smokers should be encouraged to use as wide a variety of nicotine containing products as they need to stay clear of smoking: including smokeless tobacco. The reliability of vape products (including the inherent issues with batteries) is a real problem for many smokers.

5. Some researchers have called for "more addictive vaping products". I'm not sure such a thing can exist (given 3.), but also don't think it's desirable. Nicotine is a substance which seems to have low probability for dependence outside of smoking, and I think vapers often have a better relationship with it than they did when they smoked.

6. There are MASSIVE individual differences as regards dependence and the subjective effects of nicotine on smokers/vapers. This is a really tricky area and is still not well understood or honestly researched.

So many different variables and agreed with all of your above points. Nicotine is only part of the equation it takes will power and incentive to change to get over the hump.

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Willpower (endogenous) and Incentive (exogenous) - this is the push and pull, and where the really, really interesting story lies.

Of course, there's other important stuff like truthful information, better access, better products. But that will all come, eventually :)

Philip Louis

Moved On
Mar 4, 2016
New York
  • Deleted by retired1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread