Help with VG visconcity in DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperdrive

Feb 6, 2016
So I just stated DIYing and I found out that the ejuice I made(using the steam engine calculator) which was 80/20 VG/PG wasn't as thick as other 80/20 e-liquids I've tried before.Then I read my VG bottle's label and it said:"80%VG 20%DIW".I know DIW is water but do I have to consider its volume as PG or is it normal for VG to be in a water solution?
My VG bottle is Flavor Art's Velvet Clouds btw

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Some vendors add distilled water to VG to make it flow better. It's good that your vendor disclosed it on the label, as I suspect many do not. That said, 20% is quite a high percentage in general. Most DIY people add 5 - 15% at most. You are also paying for that water at VG prices.

I recommend you use a vendor that doesn't water down their VG so you can thin it based on your preferences. I use Essential Depot for VG myself. For any vendor who is new to you, it would be a good idea to ask them if they add any water before ordering.

When you get some unthinned VG, you can mix it with what you have to get the viscosity you want, so the bottle you have won't go to waste. Good luck with your mixes!

Reactions: sonicbomb

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,

(PG/VG is the convention,
PG content first then the VG content.)

So, your mix:
Do you have a tank that struggles with high VG mixes?
Is it too thick to handle and use?
If you have added ANY flavouring, it can be considered PG content. (Most Flavours are in a PG base, so 10% flavour is approx 10% PG added in the final mix ratio.

What percentage of PG are you trying to achieve in your final mix? 10%? 20%?

Cheers
I

Reactions: SailCat

hyperdrive

Feb 6, 2016
No no problems tank-wise I just like the higher VG eliquids in general(I've used up to max VG ejuice in the past)
Yes all my flavorings are PG based and I dilute them at about 10%
I'm trying to get an 80/20 blend and my nicotine base is 100%VG with 12mg/ml nic
So I thought if I don't add any PG but consider the volume of water in the VG as being PG I should be able to get something close to 80/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread