Not open for further replies.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
082808cf3c487746a37ef50c4aff055f.jpg
Thanks man. I'm just finishing a .9-1 ohm build now. Still figuring out how much cotton works the best for squonking. Still not sold on the "stuff the base full" idea. Actually I guess if you're squonking it's different than dripping in that you're not changing flavors. When you do I guess you'd rewick. So perhaps filling the base with cotton is the right plan for
Squonking vs dripping. How do You wick that ?

This is how
I build the sod5k

be2a901a7b16bdbbc6dffb505b492960.jpg

Edit.
I had to remove
Most of that so its just enough to touch the deck. I vape 90% and two things about the sod5k

It doesn't draw excess liquid back down like the aromizer

And due to the thick eliquid I need as little wick as possible as it takes forever to wick

So the squonker needs to never turn upside down. Cuz it will just ooze out since the sod5k doesn't suck the juice back down. I guess that's the sacrifice for converting a dripper vs buying a bfa. Should have considered that. Looks like the rm LP is on the books then
Also the air hole has to be right over the coil of vapor production is next to nothing. Flavor is good but the air system isn't at all imo. Maybe I need to give it more time and not jump to conclusions!!

Last edited:

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
Drill out the air hole & place it directly over the coil, that's how it was designed to use. I have plenty of atty's that will suck the juice out of the atty once you squonk but I try not to oversquonk when I use any atty, it's all about the feel with each atty you use. You will get the hang of it soon enough, keep at it & you'll get the hang of it. FWIW the only drip proof atty's I have found is top air ones, Catfish has been modding a bunch of different one's for us & is always looking for something new but he only deals in authentic's now which are usually in the $100 range. At the moment he is on the hunt for a low cost authentic so check his thread out....

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Liking it so far, but it does leak from the same place as mentioned on page 9. Just above the brass positive block. The instructions here show adding o-rings just above the block, and instructions on the vendor facebook page talk about adding an o-ring in the top of the 510 (as much as I can tell from the low-res video).
Which one is it, can anyone help please? :)

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
Mine doesn't have the o-ring under the 510 & I haven't added it yet either but no leaks. I had a problem with mine the day I got it so I took the 510 block out & repositioned it which may have helped but not sure. You can take yours off to inspect by removing the grub screw & sliding the block down. There will be a little indent where they tightened the grub screw but it shouldn't go through the 510 since that would be a definite leak.

I have noticed leaking when the bottle is really low & I tweak it trying to squonk the last bit of juice, it makes the hose slip out of place & a longer length of hose would help but again, haven't gotten around to that either. Besides that mine is as dry as you'd expect a squonk box with juice being forced through the 510 to be, in other words no worse than any other squonker, par for the course :thumb:

Reactions: Commie

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Maybe I'm being a bit thick here but I Given I can get into temp mode by pressing power and up how do you differentiate between the wire types it supports. Or Is it nickel only? I thought it said titanium and nickel but without two distinct profiles one would be quite a bit off.

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I'm being s bit thick here but I Ben I can get into temp mode by pressing power and up how do you differentiate between the wire types it supports. Or Isi r nickel only? I thought it said titanium and nickel but without two distinct profiles one would be quite a bit off.
    Specs are for Ni200 only.
    Usually you can drop the temp 100deg for Ti.
    I haven't tried it yet tho. Try a dry cotton burn at 300f and adjust up.

edit: fishwater types faster:thumb:

Reactions: fishwater

h00ligan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 2, 2015
    London, UK
    It supports Ni only but here's a Ti build I did earlier tonight on the Thump. One of my favorite atty's running at 360F, 26awg, .12 @ 40 watts.
    View attachment 527873 View attachment 527874
    Thanks. Wow. Nickel only is a bit disappointing for anyone who wants to dual coil it. They're going to be stuck on 30 gauge functionally. On the upside I guess you can use to just turn the temp Down 50 Degrees or so but that's not exactly great in a game of sort of kind of (current temp control) already.

The device is user upgradable via released firmware updates isn't it ? Aren't they using yihi up front and their own chip behind that? Has anyone checked to see if there is a firmware upgrade ?

I built something like a 16 wrap single coil in the sod5k. It's working well. I have to say I'll
    Probably end up using the sod5k as a dripper though and ordering a rio LP

This works fine for regulated and I don't really
    Feel too much need to build temp control in a squonk box as its for home use only I tend to keep it relatively full inside.

Edit. Exclamation mark now. It doesn't like my build after working fine for half a ml?

So next steps
    ---
    Things I don't like about the sod5k
    The air hole denting on my face and the fact it has to be positioned right over the coil limits my ability to move it someone less irksome. The fact it doesn't suck the juice back down means I can't really travel with this on the top Of the mod. Flavor is good and the device is working fine with nickel. This was really a test unit to see if squonking was for me.

I figure I'm going to order the reomizer LP and see if I like that. If I do maybe order the reomizer mini v1 14500 or v2 18499/500 nil wishing to get dimensions from the reomizer site. But I'm open to suggestions.

Are there any other smaller squonk units than the steam crave that are regulated ? Or any other bfa atomizers you'd consider over the reo LP ? At least I did learn what the downside is to converting a regular dripper to bfa and right now for a dripper the one I just bought will replace the magma clone without issue so it's no biggie. It just isn't the right solution for a bfa to take with me. It would inevitably leak in my pocket.

So bearing in mind I'm fine with the function of the steam crave box and the flavor of the sod5k what more portable setup would you opt for ? What made for bf atomizer should I use for similar flavor to the sod5k without the issues of air flow?

I'm tempted to order a chalice now. I wonder how the flavor is compared to the gem. I don't want to buy four or five atomizers hair to ultimately buy the chalice anyway. End up spending twice as much.

I'm not in a hurry so I'm fine with some research before blowing another $200-300. I appreciate all of your help @fishwater and others.

The steam crave box by default is pretty good for lung hitters who don't want to do temp control it seems. Or can deal with no proper titanium profile. It's a pretty good size even. Battery life is mediocre to poor in power mode. Flavor of the aromizer for a lung hitting atty is good imo.

The thump is good looking but not what I'm looking for. I really wonder if the chalice iii is really any better than the reo LP. I don't want fixed air flow at all. It just never is right for me.

Oh also I made a big mistake when I ordered. Maybe it wasn't listed at he time or maybe I missed it but I ended up ordering a stainless tank version which shipped from
    China. What I wanted was a glass version that shipped from nyc. So it took over three weeks to arrive. So USA and Canada residents pay attention so you don't make My mistake! I assume shipping cost more too. Can the spare glass be used on the stainless tank. Or are there other parts that are needed ?

Finally I've had no response from steak
    Crave one. Couple questions. Pretty poor support.

Thoughts on the steam crave box.
    ----
    All In all it's an inexpensive decent mod. It still makes me chuckle it's serialized. It is higher quality than most clone stuff I've bought. It's lower quality than other authentics I've bought. Good primer for squonking I guess. More so if you're a lung hitter and can use the tank for an additional $10. Though its no longer working in temp mode. I need to check the low resistance cut off.

Last edited:

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 7, 2013
    Earth
    I also received mine yesterday... pretty solid device.

Positives:
    - I do really like the door and ease of squonk bottle access. Changing bottles and filling has never been easier.
    - The bottle location and fit is rather nice as well. My meager collection of squonkers are all door squonk, so this is my first side squonk window mod, and I have to say I am a fan.
    - I'm also impressed with the spring loaded positive, no leaks at all and it works.
    - It's just a very nicely machined device. Nice rounded corners on the square side, no gaps anywhere at all where the door fits on. It's very precise with a nice finish that leaves zero smudges or finger prints.

Negatives:
    - It is a bit large and heavy for a single 18650 device. I haven't opened up the chip compartment, but I would like to think they could of made it a good 5-10mm less wide, who knows. It would make a difference though.
    - Fire button rattles a bit.
    - I can't believe there seems to be no stealth option. If you're trying to watch a movie in the dark with this thing, it glows like a damn mini LED flashlight every time I vape. That is super annoying to me. I seriously ended up grabbing a bit of electrical tape and blocking it. Ugh...

I also received a round Aromamizer V2 along with it in a package deal, but haven't cleaned it yet. I just grabbed a Velocity that was sitting on one of my Reo's and threw it on the Steam Crave.

I'm no cloud chaser, so 60 watts is honestly more than enough power for me. I vape high 24mg and direct lung hit typically around 30-40 watts. Just a nice quick dense hit that packs a nicotine punch, that's my style.

So that being said, I am digging my first regulated experience in about three years. The battery performance is fine for me. I only have mechs to compare such performance to, so perhaps you all can see why I'm perfectly content with it so far. Compared to a mech, this regulated mod chucks out consistent hits for quite awhile. Even with my style of vaping, which is less frequent vaping of high nic at 30-40 watts, I've been using it almost 24 hours now and still on the first battery, so... that's just fine by me. On a mech I'd most definitely have swapped by now. I guess a better test will be tomorrow during the game, when I hit that liquor like a maniac and start vaping alot more frequently.

I think I'm going to try throwing in a twisted dual into the Aromamizer first later today... something with larger coils that comes out to something in the .4-ish range. I'm thinking now that I can pump more than the 30-35 watts that build would do on a mech, I can maybe get some faster heat-up and performance out of a dual twisted coil build by cranking the wattage past 40-45. We shall see, lol.

Overall I'd say this mod is worth the $60 bucks while it's still on sale. Jury is still out on the Aromamizer RDA, but for $10 bucks extra why not, eh? Unfortunately the mod is just too heavy to just throw it in my front pocket like I do with my Reos. It feels like if I didn't have a belt on, that it's heavy enough to pull my damn pants down. It feels to be over 2x the weight of a Reo, easily. So yeah, I reckon this mod will mostly stay at home, or if I have room I can maybe chuck it in my laptop bag to whip out at work or something. But it's definitely not a "grab and go" travel mod that's super easy to just keep on your person. Fine for the car and such, but say, I would never grab this thing and plan on walking around with it at like an amusement park all day or the like, make sense?

Cheers

hazozita

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 7, 2013
    Virginia
    Another new owner here -- mine arrived yesterday as well. Got it with the BF Aromamizer. Haven’t tried out the latter as of yet, but the Squonk Mod has been working very well for me. It’s far more comfortable in hand for me than my Reo (arthritis makes squonking a challenge at times).

Have gone through 2 bottles so far and have had zero leaking. Have used it in power mode with a SS build on a Velocity and in temp mode with a Ni build on a Zenith. Very happy with the performance in both modes.

Cons have been mostly minor. The battery is a bear to get in or out. I have a feeling this mod will put a dent in my supply of battery sleeves since I’m sure I’ll be tearing up battery wraps. One of the bottle top caps was incorrectly drilled (hole is too large) which makes it useless. Other than that, no complaints so far.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 7, 2013
    Earth
    I ordered my bundle (mod and atty) on the 31st, lucky me thanks to the Chinese New Year it hasn't shipped yet. No rush honestly great price for all the reviews and things I've read online it should be a good one.

Yeah, the shipping is mad long. I almost forgot I even ordered one. Took just shy of three weeks for mine, and that was without the Chinese New Year. Yikes, I feel for ya.

Cheers

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 7, 2013
    Earth
    Finally put a build into the Aromamizer V2 RDA... "meh." It's not bad by any means, it's just "meh."

I meant to put a higher ohm build into it, but my dual measured at .28 ohms, and I just settled for that. Which means I needed some pretty open airflow, which even with it all wide open, that swirly internal sleeve reduces the airflow pretty severely. If you want to drink the kool-aid, and think that swirly insert creates a "cyclone" effect, plan on building with something at least 26g, 28g probably a better option and shoot for something above .6-.7-ish range. You're going to get an anemic hellishly hot vape building too low. The airflow just isn't there. However, with the smooth insert replacing the swirly one, the airflow seems almost 2x more open though. Nice, open, smooth, and highly adjustable with the cyclops style slots.

Now it's not that you can't lung hit with the swirly insert, it's just a pretty restrictive lung hit at full open, and needs a lower wattage/higher resistance style build for that. If you're a mouth to lunger, this RDA should be pretty excellent in that department, as closing it off definitely gets you there.

That being said, the flavor is pretty nice. But honestly, in my opinion, it's pretty hard to goof that on any given RDA. RDA's, in general principle across the board, are anywhere from "awesome flavor" up to "holy f'ing crap amazeballs flavor," with not such a great difference between the two. Tis' why I squonk. The Aromamizer V2 is in the "awesome flavor" category.

Also, the Aromamizer V2 has to be the tallest RDA I now own. Seems almost as tall as some of those new genny style mini tank RDA's that hold 2ml of juice, only this RDA ain't got no tank on it. It's just tall.

It's super clean looking and round. It came with no noticeable machine oil as well that I noticed when I went to wash it. It's also, being top airflow and a squonker, damn near impossible to make somehow leak.

If you're new to squonking, I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Steam Crave Squonk Mod and adding the Aromamizer V2 for the extra 10 bucks in the package deal. You'll be good to go. If you're a squonking veteran such as myself, and in the market for a solid regulated and affordable squonk mod, I would say do the same; add the Aromamizer V2 for the extra 10 bucks in the package deal when you order. If you're a squonking veteran, and just looking for a new bottom fed RDA, I'd say pass for anything over the current $20 it is while on sale, there are better bottom fed RDA's out there when it goes back to it's regular suggested price of $59.

Cheers

hazozita

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 7, 2013
    Virginia
    I added in the RDA since it was only $10, but it seems mine is defective. I tried it out for the first time yesterday, but the resistance jumps all over the place. And by jumping, I mean jumping – it will go from 1.5 to 2.3 to 3.1 back to 1.2 while sitting untouched on my ohm reader. This is for a build than should be 0.5 ohms. While a random number generator is handy, it’s not a feature I want in an RDA.

Thought initially it was my build, but tried two other builds, including just a simple single coil, and the same thing happens. Swapped out the Philips screws for the grub nuts without any change. Tried a different ohm reader as well as reading it on a mod; same issue.

Filled out a support ticket on the Steam Crave website – hopefully I’ll hear back from them after CNY. Not a big deal since it was only $10, but I would like to try it out. No problems with the mod at all -- very pleased with that.

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2016
    USA
    I have to pick up one of these Steam Crave combos. Been wanting to try out Squonking
    And at that price for a start up sounds like the time to do it. I shouldn't have an issue. I usually Vape at 10-14 Watts. And don't use Temp Control but sure do like the safety of a Regulated Mod. Most Regulated Squonk Mods I've seen cost at least $250. So worth a try before I invest $250+ for something I might not like. Plus want to find my Sweet Spot with an RDA with AFC without the flooding issues associated with an RDA

Last edited:
    Reactions: Vapin Dave
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread