When it comes to devices where does the true responsibility for safety rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

0blong

Jan 15, 2016
The people that run the FDA are former executives.
Most of the government is like this. But I think they can't put the genie back in the bottle. The real danger is they ban or tax nicotine (ie the 100mg/ml I use to mix). Like it was said, if you have home depot you have a mod and atomizers. The china stuff will just get sold as something else: "not for vaping".

Reactions: Bad Ninja

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Whether it's a motorcycle, a car, the food we eat, or an ecig, we all accept that there are choices to be made and there's a certain level of responsibility. If you eat Ding Dongs, red meat, and donuts 3 times a day with quarts of soda, be prepared for a future heart attack.

Mechs and mods over 20W are for experienced vapers. DIY juice is also something that people need to educate themselves on before buying high nic concentrate to keep around the house, especially if you have kids.

Life is an experience that some terminate early. Those of us who have a desire to learn the basics and practice safe and healthy living can expect to enjoy longer life.

That said, I'd like to see warning labels and instruction pamphlets included with LiMn batteries, chargers, juice, and mods. I'd like to see battery safety sheets included with mods, chargers, and batteries. There should be child safety warnings in the box with a juice order. Not everyone has the benefit of being an active ECF member.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lessifer

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
This is the most wonderful thing I've ever seen. I want a 510 flashlight head :rickroll::rickroll:

Fasttech has sold the heads for a while now.
I just laughed when I saw the mod advertised as a flashlight!
Someone obviously has a sense of humor.
The Intent of use is a flashlight ... not regulated by the FDA.
Ta-Dow!

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
Fasttech has sold the heads for a while now.
I just laughed when I saw the mod advertised as a flashlight!
Someone obviously has a sense of humor.
The Intent of use is a flashlight ... not regulated by the FDA.
Ta-Dow!

It is brilliance lol, and you nailed it, they're gearing up for regulation.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
It is brilliance lol, and you nailed it, they're gearing up for regulation.

When I first got into mechanicals, I read a ton of info on candlepower forums which is like ECF for flashlight and battery geeks.

Mechs are flashlights.
You can install LEDs on an RDA just like coils and bam. Flashlight.
(In fact, the fish bone RDA clones came with an LED and a glass top cap.)

Reactions: entropy1049

0blong

Jan 15, 2016
I should totally buy a flashlight head.

I'd like to see battery safety sheets included with mods, chargers, and batteries.

Unfortunately they can't even list real specs on 1/2 their stuff. I'm cool with a 10A 3000mah battery, they don't need to write 35A and 5000mah on it. Its even counter productive; I'm more likely to think its 3.5A 500mah. Here is where OEM blame really shines through. Without testing you'd have no way of knowing.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I should totally buy a flashlight head.

Unfortunately they can't even list real specs on 1/2 their stuff. I'm cool with a 10A 3000mah battery, they don't need to write 35A and 5000mah on it. Its even counter productive; I'm more likely to think its 3.5A 500mah. Here is where OEM blame really shines through. Without testing you'd have no way of knowing.

This is where research on the buyers part plays a key role in safety:
There are only a handful of 18650 liMN battery manufacturers worldwide.

Most of the off brands you see simply rewrap existing cells.
Some of them are reputable (AW rewrap cells, but they use quality cells and test them) some are not.
I never trust a wrapper.

@Mooch posts some very good, accurate test results for most of the popular cells you see sold to vapers.

When I want the lowdown on a cell, I google the cell info followed by "e cigarette forums" and see what Mooch has to say about it.

Takes a few minutes and saves a lot of heartache.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hardware won't be regulated from what I've seen. It's the juices that are under scrutiny. After all, there's no reason to go after the hardware except for user safety control. Flashlights blow up just like ecig mods. It's the lithium batteries that need to be made more safely and that's happening over time with new chemical compositions.

If you outlaw retail juice because "We don't know what's in it!", then you reduce the vaping population to DIY. That's the intent of big tobacco's marketing of their own ecigs where you have to use their pre-filled carts. They are saying that their product is tested and proven to be safe and free of contamination, while the thousands of juice sellers aren't regulated by the FDA and EPA. So, the next logical move for the FDA is to require expensive certification for small business ecig juice vendors and that puts them out of business with the cost of compliance.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Except for the massive cell counterfeiting.

I see you didn't bother to take a few minutes.
;)
No one "counterfeits " cells. They rewrap them, and stamp whatever "specs" they want on them.
Buy legit.

Mooch actually tests the cells.

If you ONLY buy from reputable, legitimate retailers you won't have a problem.

Illum.com is a great source.

Amazon and ebay are not.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Reactions: Woofer

0blong

Jan 15, 2016
I do, it takes a big investment. Some of the chinese do have their own fabs... my ultrafires aren't rewraps, they are brand new batteries (of dubious quality, obviously). The imrens I was sent by a vendor who knew I would call out his fake batteries are real too and AFAIK made by imren at their own factory.

What I'm saying is that even illumn got fake batteries.... and they DID take responsibility.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I do, it takes a big investment. Some of the chinese do have their own fabs... my ultrafires aren't rewraps, they are brand new batteries (of dubious quality, obviously). The imrens I was sent by a vendor who knew I would call out his fake batteries are real too and AFAIK made by imren at their own factory.

What I'm saying is that even illumn got fake batteries.... and they DID take responsibility.

We know where Sony, LG and Samsung make cells.

Imren rewraps cells at their Shenzen facility, which is mainly a warehouse.
They resell lots of items they do not make.

Shenzhen IMREN Technology Co.,Ltd.,Battery,Battery Charger,USB Cable,Li-On Battery

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Reactions: Rossum

0blong

Jan 15, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread