Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I soaked and cleaned the 400 mesh really well that had the very off taste then put that back in a cleaned rebuilt coil.
So much better!!!! Whew, I was worried.
It seems to wick well, and has a clean taste now.
But, just like my experience with the rebuilt coil with rayon and gauze, I do not taste any noticeable difference over the stock clone coils.
I also cleaned the 300 mesh that I got but that will go into my stash box.

I should be set for vapocalypse.
Based on using the 1/4" x 1" strips in the coil I can make 200 rebuilt coils with the $3 400 mesh I now have on hand.
And if the mesh can be cleaned and reused 2, 3, 4, or 5 times that's up to a 1000 coils.
If you are using mesh, how many times have you been able to clean and reuse it?

Being lazy, I just ordered more clone coils from fasttech with the 20% off coupon KUNGHEI.
They won't ship until after CNY but I have lots on hand.
I've only cycled mine through the UC once or twice. Barring losing them, I should think they would last forever.
They're not subjected to the heat, won't corrode and not really stressed in any way.
Can't think of a reason other than Losing them or destroying them inadvertently they shouldn't see a very long
service life.
If I carefully removed the cap and kept the mesh in the cap, it stayed there through the UC process and re-installed
without a hitch.

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods
I've only cycled mine through the UC once or twice. Barring losing them, I should think they would last forever.
They're not subjected to the heat, won't corrode and not really stressed in any way.
Can't think of a reason other than Losing them or destroying them inadvertently they shouldn't see a very long
service life.
If I carefully removed the cap and kept the mesh in the cap, it stayed there through the UC process and re-installed
without a hitch.
Niiice! :)

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
I've already used the mesh that Tibs sent me(sure do wish she'd send me some more hint hint) and didn't do anything to it before I cut it. :shock:

that's because it was made in the good ol' usa ;)

and ........... you can stop hinting, lynn! you don't stand a chance until i come across those other sheets i know i have :lol:

LostVapeMonster

The eyes are useless when the mind is blind.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Land of the Lost
Hello right back attcha LVM! :)
Quiet weekend?
Quiet, but busy.
I should be visiting with my Nugget all day tomorrow. :D
Got a question about these ultra sonic cleaners.
Could you not just put a used coil in one without having to take it apart and re-do everything? I have no idea how they work. :unsure:

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
Quiet, but busy.
I should be visiting with my Nugget all day tomorrow. :D
Got a question about these ultra sonic cleaners.
Could you not just put a used coil in one without having to take it apart and re-do everything? I have no idea how they work. :unsure:
You would probably have to remove the cap and liner in order for the crud to escape out of the coil.
I haven't tried to clean and reuse a coil in a long time, I didn't have much success.
Surprised you don't have one for your jewelry, does a cracking job on it.

Reactions: IMRs

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
Last edited:

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
bruce, you might as well buy the lot of 10 - by the time you add shipping for 5 or 6 you're almost at the ebay amount ;)
I'm poverty stricken. I only need probably 4-5 of them.

In fact, if someone will buy them, I'll buy 4 for 14 shipped. That gives them 6 for
18 shipped.
Bruce in Ocala, Fl

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I rebuilt my first GS coil last night. Thanks to Cheech for the tutorial. Very fiddly but I succeeded in getting it all back together. I don't have much experience rebuilding stock coils although I've built for RDAs many times.

Was shooting for 1.5 ohms. Steam Engine said 6 wraps of 30g Kanthal with a 2mm ID. I did torch it before wrapping. I don't have any SS mesh yet so I used a thin layer of Ko Gen Do for a liner.

First test of the resistance said 2.3 ohms on my Kangside mini 25w which was a surprise. I couldn't fire it because it was wicked but not in the tank yet so I put it aside til today.

Put it in my GS Tank that was about half full and let it sit for about 1/2 hour. Fired it up on my 5v passthrough and YUK! It tasted terrible.

Took it apart but nothing looked burnt so I put it back together.

Put it into one of my original GS Airs and filled it with some MBV Banana Cream Pie. Put it on my Kangside and it was reading 1.68. Fired it at 10 watts and it tasted fine. Bumped it up to 12 watts, still fine.

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I rebuilt my first GS coil last night. Thanks to Cheech for the tutorial. Very fiddly but I succeeded in getting it all back together. I don't have much experience rebuilding stock coils although I've built for RDAs many times.

Was shooting for 1.5 ohms. Steam Engine said 6 wraps of 30g Kanthal with a 2mm ID. I did torch it before wrapping. I don't have any SS mesh yet so I used a thin layer of Ko Gen Do for a liner.

First test of the resistance said 2.3 ohms on my Kangside mini 25w which was a surprise. I couldn't fire it because it was wicked but not in the tank yet so I put it aside til today.

Put it in my GS Tank that was about half full and let it sit for about 1/2 hour. Fired it up on my 5v passthrough and YUK! It tasted terrible.

Took it apart but nothing looked burnt so I put it back together.

Put it into one of my original GS Airs and filled it with some MBV Banana Cream Pie. Put it on my Kangside and it was reading 1.68. Fired it at 10 watts and it tasted fine. Bumped it up to 12 watts, still fine.
5 volts would be about 16 watts I think, maybe a little high for the coil.
Was it a burnt taste?
What did you wick with?
I had tried cotton for liner material, but it didn't seem able to keep up with the wicking the coil required.
I run my 1.5 recoils at about 12 watts.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Yeah, if the coil is really 1.7, it comes to almost 15 watts.

I used Ko Gen Do for the wick also. It did taste burnt. I expected to see burnt cotton when I opened the coil but the cotton was white and the coil was still shiny. Maybe the taste was just from new cotton.

I don't know what the wicking/liner materials are in the stock coils (I assume they aren't cotton) but I use them with the passthrough and they work great. I figure they're running at almost 18 watts.

I wonder if Rayon would work better.

I plan to get some SS mesh. It has to be easier to make into a liner than the Ko Gen Do.

Edit; I just recalculated. It's actually running the stock coils at almost 17 watts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread