Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
You misunderstood me, I meant one year of use. Why? Because who can count battery cycles and batteries are cheap, so why take the risk. Also the CDR of a battery will drop over time dependant on use/abuse. So towards the end of it's useful life, calculating what safe amp draw becomes a bit of a lottery.
Ah.. Given that I rarely exceed 25 watts, I'm not gonna stress over a decrease in CDR. I do mark my batteries with the date (actually just the month and year) that I place them into service. It's also be highly unusual for any of my batteries to get more than one cycle every two days. I have some VTC5s that are approaching 2 years in service now and I have yet to notice any real drop in performance.

I can see where your rule of thumb might apply to folks who beat the heck out of their batteries, but that's by no means all of us. :)

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Personally, I don't own a hybrid mech mod like SMPL One thing I avoid NOW is to use tank systems (sub ohm and the like) with a mech...period!
A lot of the accidents I have seen in news have been caused by tanks on mechs, but there is nothing intrinsically wrong this set up as long as care is used. The issues are that many do not have sufficiently protruding 510s, in fact some have sprung loaded pins or ones that are cushioned with rubber bushes. Also high powered tanks that use premade coils made with dubious quality control may cause shorts.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Hi,

i searched the forum and could not find anything similar to my post/question

i won't start the basic things, ohms law, charging safely, checking amp limits and so on. i know all that's needed to vaping safe. (at least i thought so)

my first VW device:
Eleaf iStick 50W <--- got 2 of those one of my first mods, within a month, one had autofire problems, another one just shut off one day (was not even discharged) and never went on again.
after iStick 50W did fail on me so badly, i started investigating on the web, saw a few photos.. u know what i mean, battery on fire burning carpet etc... so i said i won't ever buy eleaf products anymore.

but i changed my mind, and now i have two eleaf products and those are my favotires,
my current equipment:
Eleaf iJust2 kit .3ohm coils
another Eleaf iJust2 battery with Eleaf Melo2 Tank .3 ohm coils
Joyetech Ego One Mega full kit. Battery, Tank etc... .5 ohm coils (but these seem not enough for me now, and i rarely use them
Heatvape Invader Mini (using with both Joyetech or Eleaf tanks for TC) rarely...

my backup equipment: in case all my mods fail, blow up, die, burn etc :D
SMPL mod (clone, i don't mind buying the authentic one, but i saw many reviews and everyone stated that the clone is even better, so i bought this one because i wanted a small mech mod just for "emergency situations" if my other devices fail and don't work etc...) and Archon RDA by Cloud chasers inc (authentic)

and considering i follow all the rules (for example in my mech mod i use sony vtc4 it has 30 amp continuous amp load rating, i never load it over 15-18 amps.

recently, i saw a few incidents on the web, one guy in coma, another guy lost his teeth...
both videos state those dudes just take the mod and as soon as they press the button, the battery exploded in their face, one of them was using a mech mod. allright, he might be using bad battery, bad coil, over(dis)charged his battery or anything else, and i can assume since i`m following all the rules strictly such thing won't happen to me, BUT since assumptions start out of a s s ... and since the other guy's sister (the one that's in coma) stated that he bought a brand new regulated vw mod and as soon as he pulled his first draw the battery exploded in his face, i want to make sure i did not miss anything.

is there actually a chance that a battery EXPLODES right in your face INSTANTLY?! i mean a battery from Eleaf or Joyetech or TESLA or other well-known brands? I don't mind it to heat up withing 10-20 seconds and catching fire and burning and venting.... but BLOW UP instantly? is that possible?

you know what i mean, i want to be sure... even though i follow all the safety rules and there is just a 0.001% chance prolly that something will go wrong... when u do something every day, 15 hours a day, there is a big chance that those .001%'s time will also come one day, and i don't want to loose my Jaw by that time :D

so i want to be sure if something goes wrong i have at least 10-20 seconds to react, put the battery under water, move it away from my face... from other people, and so on.

huh! i`m glad if you made it this far, tried to explain everything in detail,

thank's for help in advance!

peace!
Do not put the batteries in water. Lithium and water do not react well together.

Reactions: Toronnah

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Do not put the batteries in water. Lithium and water do not react well together.
Yeah, that's a problem for primary batteries that use metallic lithium. But our rechargeable lithium-ion batteries use intercalated lithium compounds instead. I would not expect a violent reaction.

From Battery University:
Lithium-ion batteries contain little lithium metal and in case of a fire they can be dowsed with water. Only lithium-metal batteries require a Class D extinguisher.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Good to know. Thanks. How about lipo and ico?
I assume you mean ICR? My understanding is this applies to pretty much any rechargeable lithium-ion, regardless of the minor variations in chemistry. They are all a quite different than the primary (non rechargeable) lithium batteries that have substantial amounts of metallic lithium in them.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Mechs and hybrids are not the same thing. Likewise, many of these incidences take place with regulated devices, saying it's always a mech is just wrong. Istick50, Ipv4, smok m80, are just three regulated devices that have been known to fail catastrophically.
With a name like M80...

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    You can put them in water. As @Rossum mentioned there's little to no metallic lithium in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. This is not the case for non-rechargeable lithium batteries though! They do have metallic lithium in them.

One of the best ways to fight a rechargeable lithium-ion battery fire is by using water or an aqueous firefighting solution. Their higher density (than foam, powder, or CO2) means they can quickly bring down the battery temperature below the thermal runaway threshold, stopping the reaction.

Dropping a hot rechargeable li-ion battery in water can work well but it does have possible setbacks. The battery might still burst. Depending on the container that could be a problem. And the battery might vent or burst if time is taken to fill a container with some water. In my opinion, unless water is instantly available it's best to just drop the mod and leave for at least several minutes.

Reactions: Rossum

GiorgiS

Jun 7, 2015
    Modern cordless power tools are using lithium power cells. I'd say they are running higher drains than ecigs.
    I must disagree Toronnah, modern cordless power tools are nowhere near the same drain PER CELL. which means you pull 200 watts out of two cell personal vaporizer, while a 200 watt power tool would use 4-6 cells or even more.
    Edit: i mean, the wattage can be higher than e-cigs but we stress out batteries more than those power tools, laptops, cell phones etc.
    and they are not as close to our faces too :)

cellphones are close, but those don't really stress a lot while you're making a call

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    anyone knows how safe theese are?
    FullyMax FB900HP-3S

are those safer than 2x 18650?
    do they also explode or just vent/catch fire only?

Is that the lipo pack in the VaporShark and Lavabox DNA200 mods?
    The 18650 IMR amd INR chemistry batteries we use are safer than lipo's (which are ICR). Not safe, uist safer. Any battery can cause problems if severely abused.

Here's a bit of info on battery chemistry....
    Li-Ion Battery Chemistries - What are the differences in their safety? | E-Cigarette Forum

GiorgiS

Jun 7, 2015
    anyone heared about upcoming super safe Dual Carbon Batteries?
    i read they are never exploding and can be discharged to absolute 0 volts.

developed by Power Japan Plus if I'm not mistaken mostly for electric cars.

this could be the end of vaping dangers forever. however, i could not find any discharge rate for theese. but i know they CHARGE 20 TIMES FASTER than normal batteries!!!

does that automatically mean they will have huge discharge rates too ?? any1 has more info ?

thank's in advance ;)

EDIT: Dual Carbon Batteries should release early 2016

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    I follow ecig news. All the situations I have seen reported about mods exploding in use involved mechanical mods. If regulated mods were equally vulnerable to these accidents there would be hundreds of reports. The only only accidents I've seen reported invloving regulated mods are when they were charging and in those reports they vented but did not "explode. I have not seen a report of an 18650 venting or exploding spontaneously, when it was not installed in a device, or connected to a charger, or shorted by failing to cover the contacts.

GiorgiS

Jun 7, 2015
    I follow ecig news. All the situations I have seen reported about mods exploding in use involved mechanical mods. If regulated mods were equally vulnerable to these accidents there would be hundreds of reports. The only only accidents I've seen reported invloving regulated mods are when they were charging and in those reports they vented but did not "explode. I have not seen a report of an 18650 venting or exploding spontaneously, when it was not installed in a device, or connected to a charger, or shorted by failing to cover the contacts.

E-Zigarette explodiert – Mann verliert Zähne

of course they didn't mention hardware... but it looks like a regulated device.

hope this is just another "hype"

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I must disagree Toronnah, modern cordless power tools are nowhere near the same drain PER CELL. which means you pull 200 watts out of two cell personal vaporizer, while a 200 watt power tool would use 4-6 cells or even more.
    Edit: i mean, the wattage can be higher than e-cigs but we stress out batteries more than those power tools, laptops, cell phones etc.
    That's because those industries are rather more concerned with product liability and thus design stuff to stay well within the CDR ratings of the batteries they use. But there's little question that most cordless power tools use high discharge rate cells that would be suitable for our use if conventional sources dried up. The same is not true of laptops or most other electronic devices. The cells in them are trade off discharge rate for higher capacity.

Reactions: GiorgiS
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread