Temperature Control is truly the way to go. And EVic VTC Mini >> Koopor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiyantiyan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2012
ny
Just want to give many friends here a heads up, as many of us don't try/follow every new device all the time once we settle down on a setup which is 'good enough'.

Basically please give TC a try.

I switched to Temperature Control two months ago and so far found it vastly superior than VW.
With Temperature control, I can use the same coil for 2 weeks vs 1 day using VW. All other things are equal (atomizer, juice, battery, level of vapor etc).

W/o TC, basically we were firing up the coil at constant voltage till whatever temperature it could reach: for example, from 70F to 300F, 500F, 600F, 700F. If there is a dry coil, it could reach to 1000F or more.

TC can hold the temp at 400F all the time, give you the ideal vapor all the time. While a VM or mech will give you probably 300F to 700F+ from beginning to the end, meaning from underpower to torching your coil/cotton every time you fire it up.

IMOH any one who is still using VW, or mech, should give TC a try. The investment is probably $50 in total, but the difference is dramatic.

I bought both the EVic VTC Mini and the Koopor Mini. To me the VTC mini is much better designed and manufactured device. So many improvements that I would say just get the VTC mini.

For the coil, I used Ti and it works really well.
Please do look up the safety concern of Ti. My understanding is, our temperature (i.e., 400F) is super safe. But I do need to understand when it's unsafe and don't do stupid things like still use a coil after accidentally torching it to glowing red.

People are also using Stainless Steel, which I haven't tried it so don't know. Ni coil is the 3rd choice for TC.

Also, I stopped buying stuffs from fasttech, got burnt by their cs recently and found their prices are not the best any way. Gearbest is one alternative, so far so good!

HTH!

jumphour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2014
CT, USA
I haven't even graduated to temp control yet (still a novice), but I do have both the VTC mini and the Koopor mini. The VTC is fantastic...small, light yet solid, nice display. The Koopor mini is really heavy for such a small device, and I can't upgrade the software myself, so no stainless TC for me ever on that one. BUT, it was only $20 shipped from Cigabuy during a deal with a coupon code, so for that kind of money, I love it for what it is.

• Winner
Reactions: Dwihart

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
Me too. It wasn't the game changer I was looking for. I spent a month with a Sig. 150 TC and another month with an SX mini m class no major difference over my non TC Sig. 150 and a good kenthal build. I haven't had a burned hit since the CE4 days so that TC feature is lost on me. I absolutely hated nickel wire just a pita to work with. SS and Ti easy enough though. Back to waiting for the game changer. BTW premade coils in my sub ohm tanks go up to 3 weeks heavy use max vg juice. My drippers months unless I get bored and rebuild. When I do finally go to TC it will be either a YiHi or Evolv based mod or build my own again. Chinese manufacturers have taught me a lesson a long time ago. Buy a lot of cheap mods or save that money for a quality mod and buy once. My Sig. 150 is over a year old and still flawless.

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
I won't rule out ever trying it, but for now I'm still not compelled enough to think I need it. It's not so difficult to fine tune your power settings to avoid torching your juice so much to require daily wicking.... I can usually go for over a week before I feel like doing a quick dry-burn and rewick (which you can't do with a TC coil).

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I tried really hard to like TC last year but didn't get on with it. I tried again recently with the Evic VTC mini with the Ego One Mega tank and had typically disappointing results, but thats down to the tank being a bit rubbish more than anything.
I agree with the OP, prices have fallen so much there's no reason not to give it a go.

Last edited:

ariffza

Jun 21, 2015
The VTC Mini was my first TC mod. In fact, it was my first VW mod. For the first 3 months, I was exclusively on Ni200 and SS TC mode. But when I discovered Kayfun Lite and V4, I've abandoned TC altogether. It's almost impossible to get dry hits on these Kayfuns. These tanks kept me from upgrading to more expensive TC mods such as DNA200 or SX Mini.

HDMontana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Montana
The VTC Mini was my first TC mod. In fact, it was my first VW mod. For the first 3 months, I was exclusively on Ni200 and SS TC mode. But when I discovered Kayfun Lite and V4, I've abandoned TC altogether. It's almost impossible to get dry hits on these Kayfuns. These tanks kept me from upgrading to more expensive TC mods such as DNA200 or SX Mini.
Unless you forget to open the juice control on the v4 after filling. Don't ask how I know this. :( TC would prevent that nasty hit.

HD

ariffza

Jun 21, 2015
Unless you forget to open the juice control on the v4 after filling. Don't ask how I know this. :( TC would prevent that nasty hit.

HD

I've learned that V4 are a PITA to do TC because of the resistance jump. I've built SS coil on Lite V2 and tried it on both Power and SS mode. Can't get the same satisfying vape in TC mode compared to Power mode.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I used Ni when I tried TC the first time. Hated it. Too soft to wick or coil pretty much. And, they didn't last for me.
When Ti came around, I tried again. Much nicer, I could coil and wick, even rewick.
SS was the one that did it for me. No worry about dry firing, no way I'm going to deform a coil by wicking it.
I have several TC devices now, from an eVic Mini to a Yihi ML class.
You'd find it hard to pull any of them away from me.
For those who say they won't do TC because of this or that, how about actually giving it a try with a good tank, coil, and wicking? With the right equipment, I'm hard pressed to believe TC isn't superior to VW.
Unless, of course, you are somebody who likes to say "Hey look at my triple stapled clapton running 450W"

Reactions: Clark Kent

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    In the end, VV/VW and TC are just different ways of feeding and controlling power and heat of the coil.

With non-TC wire simply pick a VV or VW that gives the desired vape. While the user drawing cold air over the coils and the evaporation of juice will have a cooling effect the longer the fire button is pressed the hotter the coil will become.

With different atomizers having different resistances "VW" was billed to provide a more consistent vape across tanks/atomizers with different resistances so the same power (IE:heat) is used.

If we add TC wire that increases resistance as the wire gets hotter, on a TC mod the resistance (IE: temperature) of the wire will be regulated by the mod while in TC mode. Here as long as the base resistance (and at vaping temperature resistance) is within the range the mod will regulate, the base resistance of the coil becomes meaningless and any power setting usually only effects the mods ramp time to vaping temperature and in some cases how well the mod is able to regulate the temperature.

If we use TC wire in Wattage mode the mod/vape might be similar to non-TC wire with one major exception - the coils temperature will ramp
    logarithmically as long as the fire button is pressed until the maximum output voltage is reached. (recall as the coil heats up, the resistance goes up causing it to draw less current, the chip senses this and in attempts to regulate the output wattage raises the output voltage to compensate)

The above is why it is not recommended to use Ni and Ti wire in Wattage mode as getting these types of wires to hot is not considered very healthy by some.

By all current indications, SS and NiFe don't have the above limitations.

While I've not tried it I'll have to assume that vaping TC type SS wire in wattage mode "hits" pretty damn hard, more so than non-TC wire like Kanthal.

Reactions: ShowerHead

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    I'll continue waiting for tc to mature.

bad enough for the common tc to require subohm operation, but to also have to be concerned not to get your coil red hot? rediculous; I want to dryburn my coils clean; it's faster than soaking overnight

Update:
    I bought an evic vtc mini a couple weeks ago because I walked into a pharmacy and saw one staring me in the face.

I mostly use it in vw mode; but it is supposed to do tc up to 1.5 ohms, so I'm pretty confident i can get it to work with steel (if i get some), at high enough ohms that i am comfortable with.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2013
    Alabama
    Update:
    I bought an evic vtc mini a couple weeks ago because I walked into a pharmacy and saw one staring me in the face.

I mostly use it in vw mode; but it is supposed to do tc up to 1.5 ohms, so I'm pretty confident i can get it to work with steel (if i get some), at high enough ohms that i am comfortable with.

Ohms don't really matter on regulated devices.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread