Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Ladies and gentlemen, for your entertainment and amusement, I present you with Movie Quiz number 109. :)

The thread will run its course for a week or so, and I'll bump it with hints and whatnot as needed. Answers will be posted when the time feels right.

There are eight screenshots below. Most of them should be fairly recognizable if you've seen the films. So, which of these movies can you identify?

Please answer with movie numbers only, not titles..
forum_flail.gif

Good luck!

movie-quiz_111.jpg

Reactions: FantWriter

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
#1 -- no idea
#2 -- just rewatched it
#3 -- absolute classic! Love it. When it was released, it was banned in Kansas.
#4 -- yeah
#5 -- easy to figure out although I haven't seen the movie
#6 -- no idea
#7 -- yeah. Classic story, but I don't think it was his best performance.
#8 -- unfortunately, I had to sit through the whole thing.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
#8 -- unfortunately, I had to sit through the whole thing.
I've always thought it was an OK flick, and I watched this with my kids a couple of weeks ago. They'd never seen it, and they both absolutely hated it! I expected that they wouldn't be crazy about it, but I never thought they'd hate it. As best as I can recall, they've never said that about any other movies I've shown them!

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
I've always thought it was an OK flick, and I watched this with my kids a couple of weeks ago. They'd never seen it, and they both absolutely hated it! I expected that they wouldn't be crazy about it, but I never thought they'd hate it. As best as I can recall, they've never said that about any other movies I've shown them!

I'm with your kids. Never been able to take more than ten minutes of it. Honestly, couldn't get through #7 either. Musicals philistine, I admit.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Well, as I've mentioned before in another movie quiz thread, I don't generally care for musicals, myself. In fact, I probably wouldn't even put #8 into the category of musicals that I like, and I have no desire to own a copy of it. Nonetheless, I still think it's a notch or two above mediocre.

On the other hand, I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed #7. Though that might have something to do with having fairly low expectations when I first saw it.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
On the other hand, I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed #7. Though that might have something to do with having fairly low expectations when I first saw it.

I'll give that one another try when I get a chance. It's unlike me not to give a visual genius like TB the benefit of the doubt

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
1 = not sure, don't think hints would help
3 = Maybe, likely could get it with a hint
4 = Probably, likely will get with a hint
7 = Haven't seen it, but pretty sure I know this one

2, 5, 6 and 8 are ones I know for sure. Surprisingly, 5 took me a few moments and 6 took me about 30 seconds to recall which movie those two actors were in together.

2 and 8 took me less than a nanosecond to get.

So, out of the 8, I really only don't know #1, but let's see how well I fare after hints.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints!

#1: A big-city reporter (played by Jennifer Jason Leigh), travels to the small town in Maine where her mother has been arrested for the murder of an elderly woman that she works for as a maid. In the course of working out the details of what has happened, as well as some shady questions from the past and the daughter's troubled childhood, many difficult truths are revealed about their family's domestic strife.

#2: In November 1984, the Soviet Union's best submarine captain in their newest, technologically-superior sub violates orders and heads for the USA. Is he trying to defect or to start a war?

#3: Two struggling musicians witness the St. Valentine's Day Massacre and try to find a way out of the city before they are found and killed by the mob. The only job that will pay their way is an all girl band so the two dress up as women, but further complications set in.

#4:
At the end of the summer of 1962 in a small southern California town, it's the evening before best friends and recent high school graduates, Curt (played by Richard Dreyfuss), and Steve (Ron Howard), are scheduled to leave town to head off to college. Curt is having second thoughts about leaving, while Steve basically sees their hometown as a dead end. Curt's beliefs are strengthened when he spots an unknown beautiful blonde in a T-bird who mouths the words "I love you" to him.

Hope these helped!

movie-quiz_111_1-4.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread