Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Normal is highly over rated....

Normal Life : Wake up with the Sun. Shower, and check your look in the mirror. Eat Breakfast with the Family. Encourage the Kids, Kiss the Spouse. Drive maybe 10 miles. Hang out for two hours while being paid, then take a fifteen minute break. Two more hours of work, then an hour lunch break. Two more hours of work, then another fifteen minute break. Skate through the last two hours, then join Family for Little League / Band Practice/ Track & Field / Ballet Rehearsal/ whatever. Drive maybe 10 mile back home. Watch TV with kids while Wife throws together Supper. Eat with Family. Watch more TV while enjoying Adult Beverage. Put Kids to Bed. Check on Spouse. If all systems are go - HOORAY !, if not drink another Adult Beverage and go to bed around 10:00.

Truckers Life : Wake at ungodly hour. Shower, and check weather reports. Dress accordingly. Leave quietly while everyone else is asleep. Only drunks, criminals and cops are awake so drive carefully to work. Start tractor, fuel tractor, hook to trailer, secure load and inspect rig regardless of weather conditions. Drive anywhere from 50 to 300 miles, preferably before morning traffic starts. Wait in line, then Labor to get unloaded. Drive to Second Stop. Wait in Line, then Labor to Load/ Unload. Drive to Third Stop. Wait in Line. Labor to Load. Return to Yard. Wait in Line. Labor to Unload. Drop empty trailer. Go to Shipping, get paperwork and find next Load. Hook to trailer, secure load, inspect rig. Drive to next stop. Wait in Line. Labor to unload. Go to next stop. Wait in Line. Labor to reload. Return to Yard. Wait in Line. Labor to Unload. Park tractor. Drive Home. Wash up, eat, and then crawl into bed and die for six hours.

Normal is something I left behind a long time ago.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Normal Life : Wake up with the Sun. Shower, and check your look in the mirror. Eat Breakfast with the Family. Encourage the Kids, Kiss the Spouse. Drive maybe 10 miles. Hang out for two hours while being paid, then take a fifteen minute break. Two more hours of work, then an hour lunch break. Two more hours of work, then another fifteen minute break. Skate through the last two hours, then join Family for Little League / Band Practice/ Track & Field / Ballet Rehearsal/ whatever. Drive maybe 10 mile back home. Watch TV with kids while Wife throws together Supper. Eat with Family. Watch more TV while enjoying Adult Beverage. Put Kids to Bed. Check on Spouse. If all systems are go - HOORAY !, if not drink another Adult Beverage and go to bed around 10:00.

Truckers Life : Wake at ungodly hour. Shower, and check weather reports. Dress accordingly. Leave quietly while everyone else is asleep. Only drunks, criminals and cops are awake so drive carefully to work. Start tractor, fuel tractor, hook to trailer, secure load and inspect rig regardless of weather conditions. Drive anywhere from 50 to 300 miles, preferably before morning traffic starts. Wait in line, then Labor to get unloaded. Drive to Second Stop. Wait in Line, then Labor to Load/ Unload. Drive to Third Stop. Wait in Line. Labor to Load/ Unload. Return to Yard. Wait in Line. Labor to Load/ Unload. Drop empty trailer. Go to Shipping, get paperwork and find next Load. Hook to trailer, secure load, inspect rig. Drive to next stop. Wait in Line. Labor to unload. Go to next stop. Wait in Line. Labor to reload. Return to Yard. Wait in Line. Labor to Unload. Park tractor. Drive Home. Wash up, eat, and then crawl into bed and die for six hours.

Normal is something I left behind a long time ago.
What happens if you get a flat tire?

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Any roadside repairs will add two hours (minimum) waiting time to an already busy day. Which is why a Trucker should always inspect his rig before leaving the yard.
What about the screw laying in the road 100 miles from the yard?

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
What about the screw laying in the road 100 miles from the yard?

The tread on a truck tire is about two- three inches thick when new, and is made of a different rubber composite then a passenger car. Different weight and temperatures. Most times, a nail or screw is simply stuck in the tread. Longer (drywall ?) screws can actually penetrate all the way through, but the rubber composite adheres to the screw. It usually does not leak, or creates a very slow leak that can be driven on for a day or two before it becomes a problem. When doing your morning inspection/ end of day report, you are responsible for finding and reporting such an occurrence before it becomes a problem.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The tread on a truck tire is about two- three inches thick when new, and is made of a different rubber composite then a passenger car. Different weight and temperatures. Most times, a nail or screw is simply stuck in the tread. Longer (drywall ?) screws can actually penetrate all the way through, but the rubber composite adheres to the screw. It usually does not leak, or creates a very slow leak that can be driven on for a day or two before it becomes a problem. When doing your morning inspection/ end of day report, you are responsible for finding and reporting such an occurrence before it becomes a problem.
Have you ever experienced a flat tire?

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Have you ever experienced a flat tire?

Many. Early in my driving career, drove for a large company (M.S. Carriers) that shuttled trailers from customer to customer. Most trailer tires are actually retreads. Once you start to loose air pressure (standard 100psi), the tire can overheat. Not good for a retread.
Now I drive for a company where it is out and eventually back. Trailers are not away from company property for weeks on end.
Everyday, since I started, I 'Thump' the tires. Used to use a small wooden club, now I just use the load bar that is for tightening straps. If that tire reverberates, like a drum, it is usually good to go. If it sounds like a muffin getting squashed, I am not leaving until it is fixed.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Many. Early in my driving career, drove for a large company (M.S. Carriers) that shuttled trailers from customer to customer. Most trailer tires are actually retreads. Once you start to loose air pressure (standard 100psi), the tire can overheat. Not good for a retread.
Now I drive for a company where it is out and eventually back. Trailers are not away from company property for weeks on end.
Everyday, since I started, I 'Thump' the tires. Used to use a small wooden club, now I just use the load bar that is for tightening straps. If that tire reverberates, like a drum, it is usually good to go. If it sounds like a muffin getting squashed, I am not leaving until it is fixed.
Not too many years ago it seemed every truck had bald tires. Don't see that near as much these days.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Not too many years ago it seemed every truck had bald tires. Don't see that near as much these days.

It costs $500 for a repair truck to show up. Just show up. Tires that normally sell for $300 can be nearly twice that. Plus labor. Not many want to pay those kind of upcharges.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
It costs $500 for a repair truck to show up. Just show up. Tires that normally sell for $300 can be nearly twice that. Plus labor. Not many want to pay those kind of upcharges.
In other words, the truck owners finally wised up and did the math.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
denver-broncos-cheerleaders_pg_600_zpsvbuy1nr8.jpg
no-story-headline_pg_600_zps1gzcg9pm.jpg

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Are you sure this is the right place to look for 'normal' ?
What is Normal ? How is Normal defined ? Is Normal a subjective concept ?

I know ! We'll ask BK ! HEY BK - What is this Normal that Robin refers to ?

its the stuff that she normally does... :)
like for instance.... vaping DF all day ;)
but then again I dont comprehend normalcy either ....

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
My Broncos kicking serious booty today, eh?
View attachment 529005
Not really Chak. Look at the box score and it looks like an easy win for Carolina. Except for the turnovers, penalties, and horrible officiating. Denver didn't win. Carolina lost. Football games are not decided by who has the best offense or defense. They're decided by turnovers. Carolina got sloppy with the ball and that's why they lost.

Users who are viewing this thread