Vapocolypse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Unfortunately one quite likely outcome of what's going on is that the only permitted hardware will be non-refillable.

In that case, there might be untold millions of tanks already out there, but no new ones being sold, and no premade coils. And those tanks would be dependent on power supplies that would mostly not last long. Spinners might last a couple of years. Chips fail. Threads and switches wear out. People would give up on it, and not many new people would come along to replace them because it would be difficult and expensive and involve the black market. Long term there would be a rapidly declining market for juice. It could be death by attrition for juice rather than outright banning.

Even if hardware and juice are still permitted for sale by the Feds, State taxes and restrictions are almost guaranteed on both.

A box freezer big enough for a lifetime supply of juice costs around $150 and fits under your desk. That's around what you might pay for 10 bottles of cheap juice. For the cost of another 20 bottles you could fill it with nicotine. If you want to safeguard your ability to go on vaping long term it seems like the way to go.
I love my rebuildable hobby and my spare room is LOUSY with mech mods and attys. Just saw that someone posted a link for PEEK tubing. Gonna look into that.
I'm really comfortable with hardware. Making juice has me freaked out, tho. Which is weird, because i almost had my minor in chemistry. I know that i shell out alot more for juice that i buy on the internets, but im not complaining. I was checking out some of the DIY links for bottles of 100mg nic. Next pay, i am going to buy a bottle or two.
I wonder if unflavoured nic would be so bad? I also checked out Capellas. And wondered, while @Walgreens, if i could crack open an Njoy tank and dump it into a genisis atty? I'm not ready for all this...my home is my refuge from the laboratory that i work in.
Breathe....

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
But where I draw the line... my chicken simply must be allowed to cross the road. Simply so I can investigate and ponder why.
c1672a63695b62cf08d29edfced9bf00.jpg

jbnuke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Trenton nj
I like your enthusiasm. Unfortunately that usually doesn't work out too well.......
But yet the past few years we are starting to see the return of grassroot movements, and they are gaining more and more traction...
You got a candidate on the democrat side that is catching up with the anointed one and may beat her and he is running a completely grassroot campaign

TheMike21

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Let me tell you the story of how things are in my country; selling, distributing or importing vape gear and e-liquid (no nic goes through the border without paying somebody off) is illegal.

It's not so bad, yet. There are no B&Ms, no ciga-likes at the 7Eleven. Nothing. You can get "Willies" e-liquid in 1 out of 50 cigar stores and pay $97usd for an X6 battery with an Iclear 30s clone on top of it. So how do we get by?

Everything is sold online (Our e-laws are almost non-existant) and 90% of our stuff is flown in from..... You guys!. So if you go down, we go down even more.

Now, I don't think vaping in the US will get as bad as some Asian countries where I'm seeing drug-like raids going on but I fear it will become very inconvenient.

Sure we can make our own stuff but having to DIY my liquid and my gear would not be nice, plus instead of the 10 minute conversation about what it is and where to get it that I have with smokers having to quit (I convert 1 out of 10), It would be an hour how to make everything that almost nobody will go into just out of inconvenience.

Please don't be content with the "I have everything to survive argument" we need to keep fighting to keep this alive, not brutally expensive and convenient for newcomers if we want the industry to thrive, if we want to help others kick the habit and if we want innovation to continue.

@Bad Ninja has a point, if you vape you have to vote. But you also have to get others to join.

p51mustang23

Sep 21, 2013
New England
There seems to be some back and forth with one side saying "the FDA wants to ban it all, there will never been any vape gear left at all!", and the other side saying "Not much will really change, maybe just less small time vendors".

Truth is that it's somewhere in the middle. The FDA knows the benefits of ecigs, that info is pretty obvious and available. This is being done to help big tobacco, and to a much lesser extent to protect tax revenue. The intent is not to completely destroy the market, but to heavily suppress it. If they were to ban liquid nicotine outright, it would be pretty obvious even to non-vapers what they are doing, and the resulting scandal would have heads rolling within the FDA. The intent is to reduce the available products, reduce the number of retailers, and increase the price to a point where it is not so far superior to smoking. They will do this by creating artificial barriers to market entry, creating hefty regulatory expenses, and by simply making complex laws that are difficult to follow.

Yes, there will be a blackmarket as needed. Items will be sold as flashlights and other technical loopholes will be used. But this all makes the market less accessible to potential new vapers, and a handful of current vapers won't want to deal with it.

"Regulating e-cigs" sounds like a smart thing to do. The problem with the term "regulate" is that it can really mean anything: it could be a couple rules about not selling to minors and not having toxic stuff in liquid, or it could be 1093 pages of crap designed to do who knows what.

Last edited:
Reactions: rice721

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
There seems to be some back and forth with one side saying "the FDA wants to ban it all, there will never been any vape gear left at all!", and the other side saying "Not much will really change, maybe just less small time vendors".

Truth is that it's somewhere in the middle. [...]
With Zeller having said something to the effect of: "It's not clear whether any ENDS products will ever be approved" I'm leaning more toward, "The FDA wants to ban it all".

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
With Zeller having said something to the effect of: "It's not clear whether any ENDS products will ever be approved" I'm leaning more toward, "The FDA wants to ban it all".

If they wanted to outright kill vaping the FDA would have just restricted liquid nicotine.
Game over.

They didnt because its a billion dollar global industry and they want to control the profits by directing them to Big Tobacco.
Greed and corruption.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
If they wanted to outright kill vaping the FDA would have just restricted liquid nicotine.
Game over.

They didnt because its a billion dollar global industry and they want to control the profits by directing them to Big Tobacco.
Greed and corruption.
They can't be seen as the complete ogre they in fact are. Like all government entities, they will do this in small steps until you one day look around and think...where did everything go? Like my freedom and rights and the ability to pursue happiness etc....

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
They can't be seen as the complete ogre they in fact are. Like all government entities, they will do this in small steps until you one day look around and think...where did everything go? Like my freedom and rights and the ability to pursue happiness etc....

There is no way they would leave all that money on the table.
Not a chance.
They simply rigged the game in favor of BT.

Since the day I joined Ive said "vote locally ".

Now it seems our local representatives are our last chance at saving vaping as we know it.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
There is no way they would leave all that money on the table.
Not a chance.
They simply rigged the game in favor of BT.

Since the day I joined Ive said "vote locally ".

Now it seems our local representatives are our last chance at saving vaping as we know it.
And most of them don't listen to us. :(
Sheep keep voting the same people in, all the while expecting a change.

First they have to vilify before they can place a 'sin' tax on them. This is the first step.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Game over.

Greed and corruption.
The plan is working.

You think you have formed your own opinion and may even fight for it.

But everyone in your group thinks they have their own opinion... and will fight for it as well.

End result? We bicker amongst ourselves never forming a truly united front.

They win. Which means we pay more to lose than we'd have paid to win.

The difference of which becomes their regained profits.

I'm betting most don't care to enter the new industry at all. Though they'll certainly compete for that lost segment of their market by whatever underhanded guise the collective can muster up.

Then again, I'm not sure that's my opinion, the truth or an option I'm supposed to believe I've originated on my own.

They have been playing this card over 50 years... and they're getting good at it.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
A wise woman once said

And most of them don't listen to us. :(
Sheep keep voting the same people in, all the while expecting a change.

First they have to vilify before they can place a 'sin' tax on them. This is the first step.

Tapatyped

Reactions: Robino1

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Game over.

Too blatant
Too transparent
Would lay the grounds to vilify BP products such as gums and patches

No
They wouldn't
We're seeing in real time how they'd go about it

Tapatyped

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Too blatant
Too transparent
Would lay the grounds to vilify BP products such as gums and patches

No
They wouldn't
We're seeing in real time how they'd go about it

Tapatyped

Why would they meave money on the table?
The SOLE purpose of a company is to generate profit.

E cigs represent a ready made billion dollar domestic market that was just gift wrapped and handed to BT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread