Status
Not open for further replies.

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
I wonder if it is olfactory fatigue where you are losing your sensitivity to that flavor.

Fwiw my keylime pie does the same.

10% key lime
5% cheesecake
5% cheesecake Graham crust

(Receipie from the net somewhere)

The key lime seems to lose its pizazz close to the end of my 15 mL batch. Not sure if I am getting used to it, or if it is indeed getting muted by the cheesecakes.

I have had some juices lose their pop and taking a hot shower (and blowing my nose once everything is steamed loose), brushing my teeth, or just switching flavors seems to reset my senses.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Simply Red

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
I'm here, when I'm here
I wonder if it is olfactory fatigue where you are losing your sensitivity to that flavor.

10% key lime
5% cheesecake

The key lime seems to lose its pizazz close to the end of my 15 mL batch. Not sure if I am getting used to it, or if it is indeed getting muted by the cheesecakes.

I have had some juices lose their pop and taking a hot shower (and blowing my nose once everything is steamed loose), brushing my teeth, or just switching flavors seems to reset my senses.

Interesting read.
finger-pointing-down-animation-gif.gif

The Dreaded Vaper’s Tongue: Dealing with Olfactory Fatigue

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio

10% key lime
5% cheesecake

I have had several that i've had this with,and like you after a while i can taste them again,but for some reason,once i lose the lemon,it's just gone haha.The first time i figured it was just because i got used to it,so i left that juice alone for a few weeks,then tried it again,and the lemon was still nowhere to be found.I think over the course of a few days,the other flavors start to drown it out,so now if i use the lemon,i only make a small batch so i can use it up in a day or 2.

psyc63

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2014
NewYork
Reactions: Kenna

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Try actual lemon juice. Remember, these flavors are all food additives anyway. Play around with percentages just like any other flavoring. Consider citric acid, which I have pounds of. Very useful to lock in flavors and it'll clean your dish washer amazingly well too! :2c: :toast: :D

:2cool: :vapor:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
In my experience, I have seen the lemon fade a little with time, but not by much. Maybe its the citric acid which I add. It does not disappear for me, just dilutes slightly. My normal usage is 12% when used as a primary flavoring. For many flavors, 12% is a whole lot of primary flavoring, so I've always viewed lemon on the heavy side, and not vice versa. Getting the sour right, has always been my challenge, and I've never been fully satisfied with the sour, though sweet lemon, as in lemon pie is quite good with our TFA flavors. Just my experience...YMMV...:2c: :toast: :D

:thumb: :vapor:

Last edited:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
From my blogs and juice making history:

I like pie. Yes, I'm a pie man. Here's some pies that I like:

Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemon - 12%
Marshmallow - 6%
Bavarian Cream - 4%
Cotton Candy - 5%
Graham Cracker - 3%

Dutch Apple Pie ala Mode, my Signature juice:

Apple - 12%
French Vanilla - 4%
Sweetener - 4%
Pie Crust - 4%
Graham Cracker - 3%
Brown Sugar - 2%
Butter - 1%
Cinnamon - .5%

Mango Custard

Mango - 11%
Cotton Candy - 7%
Vanilla Custard - 6%
Bavarian Cream - 6%

Vanilla Custard

Vanilla Custard - 13%
Sweetener - 6%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream - 3.5%
Egg Nog - 2%
Butter - 2%
Graham Cracker - 1.5%

Chocolate Cream Pie

Milk Chocolate - 5%
Double Chocolate - 4%
Sweetener - 4%
Vanilla Swirl - 5%
Whipped Cream - 3%
Sweet Cream - 3%
Graham Cracker - 6%

Coconut Cream Pie

Vanilla Custard - 6%
Coconut Extra - 5%
Graham Cracker - 4%
Sweetener - 3%
Sweet Cream - 3%
Pie Crust - 2%
Vanilla Swirl - 2%

Peach Cobbler

Juicy Peach - 10%
Sweetener - 4%
Cinnamon - 1%
Brown Sugar - 2%
Graham Cracker - 1.5%
Vanilla Bean - 1%
Sweet Cream - 1%

Key Lime Pie

Key Lime - 13%
Pie Crust - 3%
Sweetener - 3%
Whipped Cream - 2%

Pecan Pie

Pecan - 5%
Graham Cracker - 5%
Pie Crust - 3%
Sweetener - 3%
Brown Sugar - 2%
Vanilla Bourbon - 2%

You can learn as much about pie making studying both the similarities and the differences. I can see the evolution in my juice because I remember making each one, and know a few tricks here and there. For example, if you are going to use pie crust, also use graham cracker. Not always true, but true to me today. There are many others. The patterns are there if you are interested. Another thing, some of these recipes are going on two years old. I could probably improve on them today, and so could you! Ciao! :toast: :D

:thumb: :vapor:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
The LMP was the first recipe I tried from your list Bill. I still use it on a daily basis after several months. I think it's a solid recipe the way it is.
I have not used this as an ADV, but when you want to spice it up for a bit, the lemon and the key lime are both go-to juices for me, and I keep 150 mils of each around for those moments. Thanks for the like! I do like the pies, the danishes, the fruits.....heck...I like 'em all pretty much. Still hard for me to not vape my cinnamon's. Never get vapor's tongue since I started them more than three years ago. Ciao! :toast: :D

:2cool: :vapor:

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I recently picked up a bottle of manufactured juice for inspirational purposes... it is a Mango Pound Cake by "Vape Chemist". I can pick out the mango and some vanilla and definitely sweetener. I can absolutely taste the pound cake, but I have no idea how to recreate that flavor... does anybody have any suggestions on what to use to get the pound cake flavor?

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I made a decent lemon pound cake based on a tweaked version of a Glas clone recipe on ELR. I believe the original called for Vanilla Cupcake, but I dont have any and just mixed a few things together in it's place. Seems to me that you could replace the Lemon with Mango and try it out. This recipe to me was too intense as I have a sensitivity to Dulce de Leche, but my wife loves it.

1% EM or TFA Cotton Candy
2% Bavarian Cream (CAP)
2% Butter Cream (CAP)
5% Cake (Yellow) (FW)
2% Cake Batter (CAP)
2% Cake Batter Dip (FW)
1% Dulce de Leche (TPA)
1% Lemon Sicily (FA)
2% New York Cheesecake (CAP)

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I made a decent lemon pound cake based on a tweaked version of a Glas clone recipe on ELR. I believe the original called for Vanilla Cupcake, but I dont have any and just mixed a few things together in it's place. Seems to me that you could replace the Lemon with Mango and try it out. This recipe to me was too intense as I have a sensitivity to Dulce de Leche, but my wife loves it.

1% EM or TFA Cotton Candy
2% Bavarian Cream (CAP)
2% Butter Cream (CAP)
5% Cake (Yellow) (FW)
2% Cake Batter (CAP)
2% Cake Batter Dip (FW)
1% Dulce de Leche (TPA)
1% Lemon Sicily (FA)
2% New York Cheesecake (CAP)

Thanks Uncle!! Looks like I've got a bunch of flavors to add to my next flavor-run! I'll definitely give it a shot and see how it comes out. At 1%, you could probably just leave out the Dulce and probably wouldn't even notice very much difference... I just don't have any of the FW or CAP flavors, I've stuck with strictly TFA so far in this journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread