Why im returning my Crown tank to Uwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymon

Feb 7, 2016
Thought I'd share my crown uwell experience. Bought mine online, used it with .5 dual coils for months until I broke it by dropping it. I loved it so much I bought another at my local shop. Bought the black one this time. Now it was working fine up until the last 2 packs of coils I bought. They aren't wicking properly which is causing burnt hits. I OVER PRIME my coils, so there's no way it's user fault. It's the coils. They even look different. Same packaging for the .5 dual coils, except the bottom piece of the coil isn't flush. It sort of sticks out sideways. Like they weren't put together correctly. Very disappointed, ready to throw the tank away instead of getting burned for a 3rd pack of faulty coils. I don't know which tank to buy now. Done with crown uwell. Shame

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Thought I'd share my crown uwell experience. Bought mine online, used it with .5 dual coils for months until I broke it by dropping it. I loved it so much I bought another at my local shop. Bought the black one this time. Now it was working fine up until the last 2 packs of coils I bought. They aren't wicking properly which is causing burnt hits. I OVER PRIME my coils, so there's no way it's user fault. It's the coils. They even look different. Same packaging for the .5 dual coils, except the bottom piece of the coil isn't flush. It sort of sticks out sideways. Like they weren't put together correctly. Very disappointed, ready to throw the tank away instead of getting burned for a 3rd pack of faulty coils. I don't know which tank to buy now. Done with crown uwell. Shame
Why not buy a RBA for the Crown? $6-10 and a super easy RBA to use.

I have 2 Crowns and they both leak but I still love them. I have been lucky with Uwell coils, but I have RBAs for both Crowns and a couple of backup RBAs in case one craps out.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Super easy to use... super hard to wick functionally.

Well... for a fairly large number at least.
And they can't all suck as bad as me at wicking tiny RBAs. :p
True, it is a tiny deck. Very similar to the Kanger Subtank RBA.

I am a newbie, but have successfully wicked the Crown RBA quite a few times. Maybe beginner's luck. ;)

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Hi, I need to speak to Supermarket, but not sure whether you can send private messages? It is about a post from about 3 years ago, but relevant to me today! Anyone help?
Has it got to do with the Crown tank? That wasnt around 3 years ago, so im wondering why youre posting that message here?

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Sorry, only just joined and not sure what I am doing yet, or where I am going! it was about flatulence! lol

Well, welcome and you can talk farting in ANY thread :)

Try this:

At the top right of screen, next to your username, hover your mouse over Inbox, a box will pop down, at the bottom of this will be Start A Conversation link, click this. On the following screen, paste supermarket in the Participants textbox (supermarket appears to still be a member and was active yesterday), then add a Conversation Title in the next box down. Then type your message in the big box below and finally hit Start A Conversation

shazzywazzywoo

Account closed on request
Feb 28, 2016
Well, welcome and you can talk farting in ANY thread :)

Try this:

At the top right of screen, next to your username, hover your mouse over Inbox, a box will pop down, at the bottom of this will be Start A Conversation link, click this. On the following screen, paste supermarket in the Participants textbox (supermarket appears to still be a member and was active yesterday), then add a Conversation Title in the next box down. Then type your message in the big box below and finally hit Start A Conversation
ha ha thank you!

Tazz2293

Mar 30, 2016
Alpharetta, GA
Adding my 2 cents.

I bought the Crown Tank a little less than two weeks ago and have already been through 4 coils, its about to be 5.

Two of the three coils that came with the tank worked for about 3 to 4 days each then quit. Third coil that came in the box with the tank was dead from the start. Bought a box of supposed Authentic replacements and after not even one day of vaping the first coil from that box has the "evil burnt" taste.

I have followed along with all the stories of the 'evil Burnt" tasting coils in several forums, not just here.

I know the frustration shared between those of us who want to love this tank and the let down when the taste of burnt crud comes flowing out of the drip tip and on to our flavor buds.

Yes, I have tried everything you will read on the Interwebs to get the coils to work. Watched all the videos and done everything imaginable. No Love.

Today bought the RTA for the Crown and after reading more in this forum am hoping that it works. Although I now have concerns.

And please do not reply with any of the you didn't prime it correctly, you don't suck properly or any of that.

If you read all the posts having to deal with this issue you will understand the level of of work we have all put in to try and get the coils to work.

I will try the RTA and if that does not work I will put the Crown away. Chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.

Stylemessiah you have more patience than I. Good luck man. I feel your pain and you are not alone!

On a brighter note I bought a Crius and am loving it.

Saw the Rafale today and it is cool but this whole coil fiasco for the Crown may have put me off of UWELL for good.

Cheers

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I was under the impression it was a great tank, given youtube reviews, but it has been nothign but full of drama and evil burnt taste....the drama unfolded thusly:

Day 1 - Switched out the installed coil for the 0.5 ohm SS coil. Primed the coil, primer puffed it, let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Vaped it at a reasonable 20w...no vapor...30w...no vapor. No worries, id heard they needed a bit of wattage to get them going....35w...little vapor....40w...fair vapor. It wasnt till i got it to 44/45w (still way short of its rated 80w) that i got what i considered a usable amount of vapor. My Lemo 2 could still surpass this using kanthal at 22w, but thats beside the point....

The rest of the day went by uneventfully

Day 2) 44w all day long, no drama

Day 3) 44w all day long, no drama

Day 4) After sitting all night with plenty of juice in the tank, and then primer puffed as i do every morning with my other tanks, my second toot of the day resulted in an evil burnt taste. I switched the mod off and pulled the tank apart and looked at the coil...burnt wire and wick at the top of the coil. This cant be put down to not being primed.

I looked around online to find people with the same issue, i.e. several days of no drama and then bam...

Next i switched in the 0.25 ohm SS coil, poked it with a pin as suggested by those similarly afflicted with issues and primed it well, primer puffed it and left it sit for an hour, vaped it at 40w (80w below its max rating)...okay....44/45w...yup thats just acceptable in the vapor stakes. Left it for hours. Picked it up, primer puffed it and ok, tried 50w (still 70w below its max rating) and damn, burnt evilness again. This time the burnt taste didnt permeate the tank completely and the coil and wick looked ok.

Sent Crown an email about the issue to try and figure out of it was a known issue

Posted in the uwell crown coil heads dry hit thread

Day 5) Woke up, puffer primed the tank, 44w...evil dry hit, burnt wire, burnt wick...coil dead. Didnt even last a full day this time.

Got a reply from Crown for my email the previous day, giving me the form letter approach, check you didn this, check you did that, despite me stating the steps i'd taken. Replied and debunked each item in turn. Especially the one where i was encouraged to just go out and buy a pack of replacement coils - AUD$17 a pop <- no garauntees i wouldnt egt some of the same dodgy coils doing this, so this wasnt an option

Day 6) Got a further reply from Crown, which i cant repost here due to forum rules, but which finally acknowledges there was an issue with the Crown coils, and that they had been resolved. But since they had no way of tracking their batches, there was no way to identify and recall those bad batches. I was offered a free set of replacement coils, if i paid the postage....

Meanwhile i get the RBA kit for AUD$13 - so far im into this tank for AUD$62 - $40 for the tank, AUD$13 for the RBA, and AUD$9 for the postage

I pay the postage for the replacement coil offer and retire for the night using my Lemo 2 because im pretty much needing a break from drama....

Day 7) I get up and decide to build the RBA. Ill shortcut this for you and tell you that after 6 different coils and 6 different wicks and 3 different wicking methods (the s shaped wicking was the least aggreious) all i got to show for it was a tongue, and mouth, full of either anaemic vapor or evil burnt taste. The SS coils especially just wouldnt do anything but burn. This was at 30w or lower.

Cancelled the paypal payment for the replacement coils and sent Crown another email detailing the issues id continued to have and to inform them id be shipping it all back to them tomorrow.

I had high hopes for this one. Now back to looking for another rebuildable tank, drama free....

Meanwhile the trusty Lemo 2 with a 0.14 nickel build in it on my Evic VTC Mini just chuggs away keeping me from going completely bonkers over this issue :)
What coil diameter? SS I won't go anything less than 2.7mm, 3.2 (1/8th) seems to be my sweet spot at about 60 watts and 350F otherwise it can't wick fast enough...

Tazz2293

Mar 30, 2016
Alpharetta, GA
I may have discovered something about the coils.

I went to a totally different vape shop than where I usually go and bought a .25 coil.

In the picture I have attached there are two coils.
One on the left is the new coil from the new vape shop.
Coil on the right is from the box of coils I ordered on the Internet and the one I just took out of my tank. In fact all the coils in the box I got from online look exactly like the coil on the Right

Check out the White Gaskets I have highlighted with the Red Rectangle.

Major Difference. I have screwed the new coil into the tank base and it still looks new.

Could this be the reason my coils are not wicking correctly, "evil burnt" tasting and the tank leaks like a sieve?

I will try the new coil before I build the RBA.

I so want this to work. Will let you all know what happens.

Attachments

• crown coils.jpg
    crown coils.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Tazz2293

Mar 30, 2016
Alpharetta, GA
I love my crowns... have 2 of them. No issues whatsoever on either. It does take about half a tank to get the coils broke in but other than that it is the best vaping experience I have had in quite a while!

Check out my post from yesterday with the picture attached.

The coil on the left is a brand new .25 coil. Coil on Right is only a few days old.

Using the coil on the Right the tank was leaking bad and only a "Evil Burnt" taste.

I now have the coil on the left in my tank and it it just started leaking.

How do the gaskets I have marked compare to the gasket on your coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread