HOHM Wrecker 151W TC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
I use a Hohm Wrecker in my daily rotation. It's a good mod, but very boxy and large mod with sharp edges. It does what its supposed to do, but that's about it. I have no idea why the designers have to make their features sound so futuristic that they come off as a bit silly as if they have a fifth grader running their marketing department. I was really hoping for something more (ok, maybe less) in the v2 -- nothing in the product description for the v2 is getting me excited though.

Reactions: AtmizrOpin

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
I use a Hohm Wrecker in my daily rotation. It's a good mod, but very boxy and large mod with sharp edges. It does what its supposed to do, but that's about it. I have no idea why the designers have to make their features sound so futuristic that they come off as a bit silly as if they have a fifth grader running their marketing department. I was really hoping for something more (ok, maybe less) in the v2 -- nothing in the product description for the v2 is getting me excited though.
agreed, form factor is as boxy as it gets. that aside, i'm into technical innovation and would love to play around with and dissect this box mod. really want to know how they are doing tc with kanthal. it still uses a plain jane 510 connection, so it has to be using resistance and or capacitance to regulate kanthal for tc.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Grim green has done a first look at it. The tc with kanthal has my interest. I see many different prices for it and wonder if there are different models, or if they all support kanthal tc.
their website calls it the "gen II". when you're looking on vendors websites, make sure it has the usb port underneath the battery door. i'm pretty sure that indicates the newest version aka TC with kanthal.

HΩ Wrecker G2 (Hohm Wrecker) 151W Temperature Control Box Mod (limited edition)

Reactions: Off cigs

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
If its below 70 deg outside, the damn thing doesnt want to work. I've had over 80% battery power left and it will say recharge batteries. VERY DISAPPOINTING! My old sigelei 100 will hit all the way down to 3% with no problem. But when its working , its great. Big, warm clouds in tc with hohmwrecker.
the new hohm wrecker gen2 is doing that to you? i have a couple mods that when the batts get cold, they can't produce enough power/amps for the mod's board. it's not the mods fault. it's just what happens to all batteries when exposed to temp extremes. i have to take them out and roll em in my hand to warm them up. under 70°F really? maybe it's your batts. you're saying anything below room temp your mod fails to fire. i dunno somethings not making good connection in the batt department, IMO.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
my guess....the box the chip/board comes in. nothing unique about it. sigelei shaped, sharp hard edges...i still would like one to play with a little bit in kanthal tc mode.

Since when has that stopped anyone :)

Can't understand the lack of interest in Kanthal TC - my Blue G2LE is leaving LA shortly :)

I expect to see your thoughts when it arrives =)

Reactions: Bobw1951

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
How new is the GenII not getting more interest?

TC with Kanthal... wot?!

my guess....the box the chip/board comes in. nothing unique about it. sigelei shaped, sharp hard edges...i still would like one to play with a little bit in kanthal tc mode.

Can't understand the lack of interest in Kanthal TC - my Blue G2LE is leaving LA shortly :)

It's likely because nothing about the logistics of doing proper temp control with Kanthal has changed, so until we see some concrete evidence it works, most of us have stopped hopping on the hype train.

Multiple companies have touted temp control with kanthal then they either end up doing Asolo's "taste control" (not true TC) or, in the case of Innokin's specialized set-up, essentially drop of the face of the earth during development.

It's been consistently proven that about the only way you're going to properly TC kanthal, with it's virtually non-existent TCR, is via a thermocouple.

Given Innokin's seemingly nonexistent progress with their coil/thermocouple system versus their resources, its apparently not an easy task.

Reactions: Wingsfan0310

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
It's likely because nothing about the logistics of doing proper temp control with Kanthal has changed, so until we see some concrete evidence it works, most of us have stopped hopping on the hype train.

Multiple companies have touted temp control with kanthal then they either end up doing Asolo's "taste control" (not true TC) or, in the case of Innokin's specialized set-up, essentially drop of the face of the earth during development.

It's been consistently proven that about the only way you're going to properly TC kanthal, with it's virtually non-existent TCR, is via a thermocouple.

Given Innokin's seemingly nonexistent progress with their coil/thermocouple system versus their resources, its apparently not an easy task.
Seemed to work relatively well in grimms vlog.

Its also not that the tcr is non existent. You just need very accurate readings.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Seemed to work relatively well in grimms vlog.

Its also not that the tcr is non existent. You just need very accurate readings.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Key word 'virtually' nonexistent.

The issue being that, given current 510/wiring/chip technology (as a whole), that level of accuracy is essentially impossible.

Current TC systems are extremely dependent on VERY solid connections, and EXTREMELY low resistance/variations of resistance within those connections/wiring, and that's before we even get to the topper.

If a slightly dirty (re: juice/contaminants) 510 can cause a variation of resistance upwards of .02-04 ohms, the level of accuracy required to properly read the changes in the resistance of kanthal is unlikely to ever be achieved, at least not with consistent results.

Given the insane number of decimal points of resistance that current boards are able to read, im not saying it's impossible, but it's improbable unless you have a 100% hard wired system, including the topper. Which we all know isn't practical.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
just letting people know they are selling both boards from the gen 1 and 2 hohmwrecker :

AIbEiAIAAABDCO21xIy_6ayCYiILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKDIzYjYwMDljZDQwZDZmN2FkYTYwNTllNWEwMzBhZWMyNTQ0Yjg0NzEwAUU33cfBZZBAGwLh8LDtv1Fq-tQz

Hohm Tech
cleardot.gif

We sell them for $49.99 plus shipping for single chip (FSK G2 Chip). If you're referring to FSK G1 chip that came in 1st version Wrecker, those are $33.99 plus shipping.

Just like our products, this email is Hohm Made...

Benjamin
Hohm Tech Corp.
(O): 626-962-2823
(F): 626-814-2823

Reactions: f1vefour

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
It actually is doing the kanthal temp very similar to ask other tc wires but the board is made to read down to 0.00001 ohm. Granted the connection needs to be clean but so far playing with it, kanthal works really darn well in tc.
where did you get that info? i'm figuring that as well. but you say it like hohm tech themselves told you. any docs from hohm tech stating how they're doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread