Status
Not open for further replies.

Netop

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2015
Providence, RI
Another opinion on wire for kayfuns:
28 works for me anywhere between 1.2 and 1.8 builds on my K4 and the KFL clone which I use a dripper. (don't yell at me about the clone, buddy gave it to me)
I'd use 30 on builds above 1.6 if I didn't have the tendency to make a mess out of 30g wire when I pull out old wicks.
I tend to prefer shorter draws, so quick ramp up makes me happy.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Still learning all this spaced vs. microcoil stuff. I can make a good microcoil but for some reason can not get a good spaced coil. Mine should come in today. What should I expect with a spaced coil, or a microcoil using 28 gauge kanthal? Or, which one is hotter or cooler?
I've used spaced and contact coils and truthfully my senses can't tell a difference. Vapor is vapor.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Another opinion on wire for kayfuns:
28 works for me anywhere between 1.2 and 1.8 builds on my K4 and the KFL clone which I use a dripper. (don't yell at me about the clone, buddy gave it to me)
I'd use 30 on builds above 1.6 if I didn't have the tendency to make a mess out of 30g wire when I pull out old wicks.
I tend to prefer shorter draws, so quick ramp up makes me happy.
Get your buddy on this thread so we can yell at him. :)

Elyptic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY
I expect to see this asked more & more. For as long as the P3 has been available, I thought long before now there'd be more P3 bases instead of the very few available currently.

The problem is that while the Provari devices are nice, they do appeal to a specific market share. I've never owned one (but would maybe be interested in the Radius), but I have owned many high-end tanks. I think it's safe to say that most high-end tanks are run on devices other than Provari, which means that they are having a hard time getting more P3 connector tanks out there.

Carnage9270

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2015
Washington
I use 27g Kanthal 8/7 wrap around a 2.5 bit. Go to the steam engine coil wrapping section and input your coil build. Then look to the bottom right and adjust the watts to what you typically vape at. It shows you the heat next to it when you do. I aim for around 150 on my KF4 and KFM3. Keeps my Black Note from tasting too hot or burnt.

Last edited:

thekraut

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
With the KF4's I found that spaced coils tasted better than contact coils.

I normally use spaced coils in all my atomizers and tried contacted in the Kayfun Mini V3 for some reason I can't remember... popping and lack of flavour. they are just not my cup of tea. I recommend spaced coils when ever someone asks me ;)

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Still learning all this spaced vs. microcoil stuff. I can make a good microcoil but for some reason can not get a good spaced coil. Mine should come in today. What should I expect with a spaced coil, or a microcoil using 28 gauge kanthal? Or, which one is hotter or cooler?
IMO, there's actually not much of a difference between a spaced or microcoil. To me both vape alike. The benefit of a microcoil over spaced, in my book, is in its ease of use/maintenance. And with TC - a spaced coil works better.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Loving my work setup. Sooo tiny...
6d7934e9-c2e7-4abd-ab17-f6922b6b577a.jpg
^That, my friend, is a sharp lookin' combo :)

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Do you (or anyone else here) find it a juice guzzler?
Q seemed to report that it didn't go through juice as fast as the K4. I have the K4, and feels like it really drinks up juice. Maybe it's I'm just unable to put it down, but I think the K4 is kinda thirsty.
Any thoughts regarding juice usage between K4 and the mini V3?
Imo its not that the KM3 is a juice guzzler, K4 consumes double of it with the same coil/power setup. It's the sheer "low capacity" of it which makes it seem so. I find it's atomizing efficiency at par to that of the KFLs.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
My mentor Bronze sent me a few 2.5 mm 28g 8 wrap 1.5 ohm coils and I have only been using that setup. I thought spaced coils was a no no.

My second KM3 arrived in perfect condition and I'm waiting on a custom flow ring from Captivape to use on my P3.

Saltwater

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2013
NC
Well it's the real deal. Looks like you have it sitting on a Provari 2.5?
Yeah I have an old beat up 2.5 that I wasn't using so I figured I'd put it on that for now. I just did a spaced coil 28g 1.5 ohm and it's great. Really nice throat hit and vapor. Flavor is nice too. I'm not good at spaced coils but this one came out great for some reason. Usually make them nice, then ruin them putting it on.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I thought spaced coils was a no no.
There was a time that everyone though you could not have contact with your wraps. All the videos would say. "make sure your wraps do not touch each other or it will short". :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Yeah I have an old beat up 2.5 that I wasn't using so I figured I'd put it on that for now. I just did a spaced coil 28g 1.5 ohm and it's great. Really nice throat hit and vapor. Flavor is nice too. I'm not good at spaced coils but this one came out great for some reason. Usually make them nice, then ruin them putting it on.
Looks good on the 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread