Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Sony Battery.jpg

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I scanned the fema document. It's not very helpful. Almost all the failures in use seem to be mech mods. I avoid that hazard by not using them. Some technical detail about on board vs external chargers would be interesting. Then sony recommends their batteries only be used where they are built in and all of those situation would be onboard charging so how are those onboard chargers any different from ecig onboard chargers?

Reactions: VapieDan

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I scanned the fema document. It's not very helpful. Almost all the failures in use seem to be mech mods. I avoid that hazard by not using them. Some technical detail about on board vs external chargers would be interesting. Then sony recommends their batteries only be used where they are built in and all of those situation would be onboard charging so how are those onboard chargers any different from ecig onboard chargers?

The onboard chargers typically used by Sony's commercial and industrial customers are a huge step up from what's in a typical mod. The battery management systems in battery packs using Sony (or Samsung or LG) batteries are quite sophisticated.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    The onboard chargers typically used by Sony's commercial and industrial customers are a huge step up from what's in a typical mod. The battery management systems in battery packs using Sony (or Samsung or LG) batteries are quite sophisticated.
    Any idea where to find technical details about these differences. I wonder what joytech or eleaf might say about the onboard chargers in their devices compared to onboard power tool chargers. Does this lack of sophistication mean that the iStick twenty is inherently unsafe because it's an ecig instead of a hand drill?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Any idea where to find technical details about these differences. I wonder what joytech or eleaf might say about the onboard chargers in their devices compared to onboard power tool chargers. Does this lack of sophistication mean that the iStick twenty is inherently unsafe because it's an ecig instead of a hand drill?

You can check the datasheets and applications notes for the battery management chips from Texas Instruments, Maxim Integrated, and Linear Technology. The DNA200 uses a bq76925 chip for balancing and the firmware in the microprocessor handles the rest. Other devices use various inexpensive 1A linear USB charge management chips from China under microprocessor control.

Some devices, ecig or otherwise, have fewer safety features because the low cost of the device limits severely limits what they can do. The parts for laptop or medical device battery management system could cost as much as all of the parts to build a complete iStick 20W.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    You can check the datasheets and applications notes for the battery management chips from Texas Instruments, Maxim Integrated, and Linear Technology. The DNA200 uses a bq76925 chip for balancing and the firmware in the microprocessor handles the rest. Other devices use various inexpensive 1A linear USB charge management chips from China under microprocessor control.

Some devices, ecig or otherwise, have fewer safety features because the low cost of the device limits severely limits what they can do. The parts for laptop or medical device battery management system could cost as much as all of the parts to build a complete iStick 20W.
    That's a broad brush you paint with, evolve is good, everybody else might be unsafe? I've avoided the evolve package so far because I don't want the compromises required for their 200 watt device. I never go above 30 max watts or below 1 ohm to keep my vape from becoming a complicated hastle. What's sounding good to me right now is dual 18650's in paralell for the sake of endurance. (I foolishly got a cuboid. It discharged 2 cells at the same settings in a bit less time than my single cell VTC mini. Oops) It would be cool to have the data collection features of the evolve board but the price and form factors put me off for now. Like others, I like the HG2 for the extra endurance and try not to come close to it's amp limit.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    That's a broad brush you paint with, evolve is good, everybody else might be unsafe? I've avoided the evolve package so far because I don't want the compromises required for their 200 watt device. I never go above 30 max watts or below 1 ohm to keep my vape from becoming a complicated hastle. What's sounding good to me right now is dual 18650's in paralell for the sake of endurance. (I foolishly got a cuboid. It discharged 2 cells at the same settings in a bit less time than my single cell VTC mini. Oops) It would be cool to have the data collection features of the evolve board but the price and form factors put me off for now. Like others, I like the HG2 for the extra endurance and try not to come close to it's amp limit.
    In a vw device the battery drain is equal in a parallel and a series setup though, at the same wattage though. If your Cuboid has a bad battery life there's something wrong with it. I just recently received my Cuboid so I can't say anything definite about the battery runtime, but thus far it seems to be quite good.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    In a vw device the battery drain is equal in a parallel and a series setup though, at the same wattage though. If your Cuboid has a bad battery life there's something wrong with it. I just recently received my Cuboid so I can't say anything definite about the battery runtime, but thus far it seems to be quite good.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
    I got a new set of HG2's for the test and used one of them in the VTC mini. I used the same rda and build and the same settings on both a mini and a cuboid and started the puff timers at zero. Cuboid got 1352 seconds, VTC mini got 1600 seconds. I'm hoping others will do the same comparison to see if my results hold up. (I'm not one of those shifty government sponsored scientists.)

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    That's a broad brush you paint with, evolve is good, everybody else might be unsafe?

Perhaps there are other mods out there with a good battery management system (BMS). I don't know of any but would love to find out. The others aren't unsafe. They just have fewer safety features to prevent problems in case of abuse, etc.

The Evolv board doesn't have a large numbe of features that I would add to any BMS I designed. This doesn't mean the Evolv board is unsafe. Just that the decisions (budgetary, design, etc.) they made have resulted in a smaller set of features and capabilities.

One could argue that this makes it less safe than othe BMS's out there. But certainly not unsafe.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2013
    Flint, Michigan, United States
    Reactions: Judge Dredd

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Interesting observation JD

laptop explodes - YouTube
    I think most users care about safety, at least the old farts like me. If one of the companies promoted a particular mod for it's extra safe onboard charging I would pay attention and I think there are people who would pay a premium if there needed to be a premium. In the shop where I work there are dozens of cordless hand tools. Batteries sit on their chargers day and night, including mine. The batteries can be recharged remarkably fast. Is the extra sophistication mostly related to safely managing fast charging? Why would any manufacturerer cut corners on safety? Too many dangerous mods would kill off a brand pretty fast, especially if they burn a house down or put somebody in the hospital. So far what I'm reading about are mech mods. That's not a battery or onboard charger problem, it's a male ego problem.

milescadre

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Personally I think its just sony doing a giant CYA. And honestly, I dont blame em. they cant completely test nor regulate the conditions their product will be place under, and dont want anything to do with the mishaps when they happen.

Its a shame though because iirc sony VTC series batteries were some of the safest and best to get.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread