coil builds for flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxswayless117xx

Jan 30, 2016
I am in die hard need of a good flavor chasing coil I have a 13 heavens 9 hello and a velocity. I have been vaping for about 2 and half /3 years now and can do alot of builds over time of doing clapton and other builds I haven't found the right coil with the punch ya in the face flavor. I Rember when I quit smoking how amazing vaping tasted over time idk wtf I did but lost that flavor if any body has any info on coil builds, ways to wick, and how I should have my airflow positions to my coil I'd rly apreciat it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the clouds well down and all the sudden wanted to come back to the flavor. The juice I've always used is about 80/20vgpg to max vg to 70/30vgpg and even with that max vg used to have amazing flavor please please help

Reactions: Falconeer

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
I am in die hard need of a good flavor chasing coil I have a 13 heavens 9 hello and a velocity. I have been vaping for about 2 and half /3 years now and can do alot of builds over time of doing clapton and other builds I haven't found the right coil with the punch ya in the face flavor. I Rember when I quit smoking how amazing vaping tasted over time idk ... I did but lost that flavor if any body has any info on coil builds, ways to wick, and how I should have my airflow positions to my coil I'd rly apreciat it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the clouds well down and all the sudden wanted to come back to the flavor. The juice I've always used is about 80/20vgpg to max vg to 70/30vgpg and even with that max vg used to have amazing flavor please please help
What gauge / ID/ ohms metal do you use for your claptons ?

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
When you go wine or beer tasting.... Does one, chug the bottle, in one go, or take many small drinks?
Apply the answer to the question to the chasing of flavor from a vape. Might be you are loosing the flavor to the Punch.

Might, have you ever made your "own" clapton coil build for a velocity ?

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
A lot more goes into this than you think...

Start ->
1) Your atomizer plays a big factor. Smaller more restricted atomizer reduced chamber atomizer will produce more flavor compared to a larger wider atomizer with tremendous airflow. Examples a Derringer (very small reduced chamber atomizer with smaller airflow that can be choked down tightly compared to a Mutation X which is a wide deck and large chamber with very very loose airflow, the Derringer will pop out more flavor than the Mutation X, more air coming in dulls down flavor and larger space more hot vapor needs to fill the chamber before fresh air is mixed in to create the clouds)
2) K.I.S.S - Keep it Simple Stupid. Exotic and super exotic coils are ineffective when you consider the time it takes to make them. Simply more surface area = more juice vaporizing = more flavor. Basic Twisted 26awg wire dual coils, basic parallel 28awg dual coils, or basic Clapton dual coils in a reduced chamber atomizer will kick out flavor like crazy. I run basic 28awg twisted dual coils in a Quasar, Helios, and Derringer atomizers in the 0.6ish to 0.8ish ohm range on a 2 or 2.5mm ID, flavor for days in the 35 to 50ish watts ranges, compared to my Patriots and Mutation X V2 using parallel 24awg builds on 3 and 3.5mm ID in the 60ish to 85ish watt ranges, lower watts and tighter airflow owns higher watts and massive airflow all day long flavor wise.
3) If you are vaping on high VG liquids and liquids that are mostly in the Custards, Creams, Deserts, and savory flavors, you are coating your taste buds and dulling things down as well, vaping on a Cucumber with a mint and fruit flavor or a citrus or hot cinnamon flavor for a bit during the day can cut and cleanse those coatings off to revitalize taste buds, these types of flavors are palette cleansers.

xxswayless117xx

Jan 30, 2016

Start ->
1) Your atomizer plays a big factor. Smaller more restricted atomizer reduced chamber atomizer will produce more flavor compared to a larger wider atomizer with tremendous airflow. Examples a Derringer (very small reduced chamber atomizer with smaller airflow that can be choked down tightly compared to a Mutation X which is a wide deck and large chamber with very very loose airflow, the Derringer will pop out more flavor than the Mutation X, more air coming in dulls down flavor and larger space more hot vapor needs to fill the chamber before fresh air is mixed in to create the clouds)
2) K.I.S.S - Keep it Simple Stupid. Exotic and super exotic coils are ineffective when you consider the time it takes to make them. Simply more surface area = more juice vaporizing = more flavor. Basic Twisted 26awg wire dual coils, basic parallel 28awg dual coils, or basic Clapton dual coils in a reduced chamber atomizer will kick out flavor like crazy. I run basic 28awg twisted dual coils in a Quasar, Helios, and Derringer atomizers in the 0.6ish to 0.8ish ohm range on a 2 or 2.5mm ID, flavor for days in the 35 to 50ish watts ranges, compared to my Patriots and Mutation X V2 using parallel 24awg builds on 3 and 3.5mm ID in the 60ish to 85ish watt ranges, lower watts and tighter airflow owns higher watts and massive airflow all day long flavor wise.
3) If you are vaping on high VG liquids and liquids that are mostly in the Custards, Creams, Deserts, and savory flavors, you are coating your taste buds and dulling things down as well, vaping on a Cucumber with a mint and fruit flavor or a citrus or hot cinnamon flavor for a bit during the day can cut and cleanse those coatings off to revitalize taste buds, these types of flavors are palette cleansers.
this I awsome didn't even think of the pallet thing thanks lots to everyone ima try all this and get back to you guys ima build in the velocity due to it being a bit smaller how bout air flow positioning though on a coil like in direct top air flow or just hitting the bottom

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
more air coming in dulls down flavor

Nope.
That's a myth. No need to choke the air to get flavor.
I get incredible flavor from my Derringer.....But I removed the airflow control ring completely.

Build, wicking, airflow, coil position all play a part.
Efficiency is key.
I run dual parallel coils. Low ramp up time, large surface area, extremely efficient.

Everyone seems to want to run Clapton coils with all that metal. They look cool, but are very inefficient compare to a simple parallel coil.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I like all the crazy builds as much as the next guy...but I get the best flavor out of dual .26 ga spaced coils. 6 wraps each on a 2-2.5 mm bit. Claptons are fine but not worth the effort to me anymore. Parallels are great too. But if I simply want to enjoy the flavor of my juice, simple, spaced coils work best, FOR ME.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I have never noticed a difference between a well wrapped large diameter single coil wicked generously than the fancy stuff thats been around for years .

If there is a difference it is barely detectable to me so i don't bother lol.

Sudden flavor loss in my experience is more about becoming to used to certain flavor profiles and a coil starting to go bad then what type of coil your using.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Buy Lemo 2
Build 3mm id 7/8 wrap 26g 1.1ohm kanthal coil or Build 3mm id 7/8 wrap 26g 0.6 ohm ss coil
Enjoy flavour

Or

Buy TFV4 Mini
Remove ridiculous Clapton from RCA
Build 3mm id 7/8 wrap 26g 1.1ohm coil or Build 3mm id 7/8 wrap 26g 0.6 ohm ss coil
Enjoy flavour

Always worked for me

I tried dual build tanks, claptons, parallels and always come back to the simplest most effective method

O.C.D.MakesMeDoIt

Verified Member
Jan 9, 2016
Arizona

Start ->
Yeah, what @IMFire3605 said.
I've gotten all the best "flavor attys". Tried different coil types, wire gauges, "exotic" coils, etc. But I finally found my personal vaping Nirvana in the Prometey clone... I suspect the biggest difference between that and all my other attys is the "fluff"/aquarium filter/cartomizer-like material that the juice is suspended in. And for whatever reason, my tastebuds respond incredibly well to it, with a simple no-frills 2.4mm ID coil at around 1ohm.

YMMV. Everyone is different. Sometimes it's a quest to find exactly the things that satisfy us best. And those things are often surprisingly not what we thought they'd be.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Well unless you are burning your wicks, it all tastes better that real cigarettes. Even though I have a few rba tanks and really enjoy them, most of the day I still use my old trusty AROs when I am out and about, or at work. They are small enough I can fit 4 of them in the change pocket of my jeans so I have plenty of flavor choices throughout the day and they are stupid easy to rebuild.

To this point I mainly build them at about 1.8 ohms with Kanthal but I am planning my next rebuild later this week with SS316 to see how they do using temp control. Don't get me wrong these are not cloud chasers, but they are very convenient and not bad for flavor. Then again they do have small air chambers.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Not too sure if it's relevant but I'll appreciate your feedback on it. After factory Kanthal coils I used Ni factory coils in TC mod and found an improvement in taste contrast and resolution. So I moved to RBA, first built with Kanthal wires then with Ti wires in TC mod and noticed again a better flavor resolution in TC with Ti coils. So I'm tempted to suggest TC built with Ti coils (or Ni but never tried them) for better taste but it seems that it's not necessarily a collective opinion... So if you choose Kanthal coils instead of TC coils for taste chasing what are the advantages? I have a bench of Kanthal wires ready to be used but I found the Ti wired coils in TC just better taste wise. What am I missing?

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
If you DIY your juice, mix up a batch of 30/70 (pg/vg) unflavored at your preferred nic strength. Add 5 drops of menthol per 10 ml. Devote a rarely used atty to it and keep the watts low. Menthol is extremely hard to get out of a tank once it's in there and it will punch a hole in your throat if you try to sub-ohm it at 100W, but it will clean your palate pretty well. I keep a 10 ml bottle of it around for vape tongue. A glass of water with a bunch of fresh lemon juice in it will do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread