Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
If you are a mouth to lunger or like moderate lung hits, then I don't think it's possible to beat the STM. All of these expensive designer tanks out there and none of them are as good (all around) imo. Kayfuns are good, but the STM has better flavor and produces more vapor. All of these dual coil tanks are good for #cloudsBro, but pretty bad on flavor. The STM is simple in design, easy to fill (even though it's bottom fill) and just all around a performer.
I like it a lot. Use it on thierthwr second big or biggest airfloow and it is perfect ! Massive flavor on thr rba and good hit everythime.

Vapez

Mike Abrams

Account closed on request
Sep 21, 2015
New England
If you are a mouth to lunger or like moderate lung hits, then I don't think it's possible to beat the STM. All of these expensive designer tanks out there and none of them are as good (all around) imo. Kayfuns are good, but the STM has better flavor and produces more vapor. All of these dual coil tanks are good for #cloudsBro, but pretty bad on flavor. The STM is simple in design, easy to fill (even though it's bottom fill) and just all around a performer.

Anyone tried the new SOCC coils yet, and if so, with the 0.5 ohm, is there a preference for Clapton or without? Planning to use one or the other with a 50w mod and trying to see which is best to try first. Thanks.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Anyone tried the new SOCC coils yet, and if so, with the 0.5 ohm, is there a preference for Clapton or without? Planning to use one or the other with a 50w mod and trying to see which is best to try first. Thanks.
0 for 1 with the SOCC coils. I bought my wife a Subvod kit for Christmas and the Toptank Nano came with a DOA 0.5ohm SOCC. Completely toast. I am getting a replacement and a 5 pack tomorrow but not impressed with my first experience.

Reactions: Mike Abrams

Mike Abrams

Account closed on request
Sep 21, 2015
New England
Bought 2 0.5 SOCC non Clapton yesterday. Just a slight bit more flavor and clouds but maybe a very slight metallic taste too. I found the sweet spot with the old OCC was 28w and the equivalent with SOCC to be 34w. The differences are very slight, and I find them basically interchangeable rather than a breakthrough. I ordered a box of Claptons so we shall see on those.

Reactions: BreSha6869

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
I already posted in the RTA forum, but figured I'd pass along the info on this thread as well, and I have a few questions...

First, I've been rebuilding using the RBA+ since September - 28g Kanthal, 2.5 ID, 5 wraps at 1.0 ohms. Been working great. I recently got the topbox mini platinum, and I just used my old RBA in the new toptank. I set it down and came back about 5 mins later, and at least 2 mLs of juice had run out of the airflow control holes. Turns out the RBA that comes with the toptank has holes that are much smaller and higher up on the column. Now I know why!

The new RBA with the higher holes does work with the topbox...no more leaking. But since it's 4 mL instead of 4.5, and the holes are much higher up on the column, the actual capacity of the toptank using the RBA is much smaller than the standalone STM using the RBA plus. So the toptank is sitting in the drawer. Just thought folks should know.

Questions: it seems like the screws on the STM RBA are really small compared to other RTAs out there. I know extra come with the tank, but this still seems to make this RBA have a shorter lifespan than the others unless you can buy replacement screws. Are those for sale somewhere?

Also, the bottom (metal part) of the deck of my RBA is darkening and it doesn't wash off. Is there an expected lifespan for the RBA section in general?

Reactions: nelsonm64

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Thanks for your post. I bought 2 TopTanks hoping I could use the old coils, which I have read you can, but I did not know using the older RBA's would be leakers. Had enough leaking through air slots when left overnight with low juice levels, I ended up buying the leak resistant/proof Cubis tanks, and have yet to even try my new TopTanks. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: dcdozer

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
I already posted in the RTA forum, but figured I'd pass along the info on this thread as well, and I have a few questions...

First, I've been rebuilding using the RBA+ since September - 28g Kanthal, 2.5 ID, 5 wraps at 1.0 ohms. Been working great. I recently got the topbox mini platinum, and I just used my old RBA in the new toptank. I set it down and came back about 5 mins later, and at least 2 mLs of juice had run out of the airflow control holes. Turns out the RBA that comes with the toptank has holes that are much smaller and higher up on the column. Now I know why!

The new RBA with the higher holes does work with the topbox...no more leaking. But since it's 4 mL instead of 4.5, and the holes are much higher up on the column, the actual capacity of the toptank using the RBA is much smaller than the standalone STM using the RBA plus. So the toptank is sitting in the drawer. Just thought folks should know.

Questions: it seems like the screws on the STM RBA are really small compared to other RTAs out there. I know extra come with the tank, but this still seems to make this RBA have a shorter lifespan than the others unless you can buy replacement screws. Are those for sale somewhere?

Also, the bottom (metal part) of the deck of my RBA is darkening and it doesn't wash off. Is there an expected lifespan for the RBA section in general?
My gf used screws from her eyeglass repair kit to fix her brothers RBA+ so ya you can find some.

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
Thanks for your post. I bought 2 TopTanks hoping I could use the old coils, which I have read you can, but I did not know using the older RBA's would be leakers. Had enough leaking through air slots when left overnight with low juice levels, I ended up buying the leak resistant/proof Cubis tanks, and have yet to even try my new TopTanks. Thanks for the heads up!
Glad I passed on the toptank. I wanted one at first because I love STM, but these issues I read about seem like it's not worth it.

No biggie bottom filling. It's still one of my favorite daily drivers and I plan on getting a bunch more. Hopefully will find a stupid cheap deal at some point now that the top tanks are out.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    It does seem like Kanger took a step backward, with the new RBA.
    I don't know why they didn't put the smaller hole lower to the deck.
    Wonder if the top fill seal is failing, causing it to lose vacuum and leak.
    When I get mine, I'll try the V1 RBA, which always worked with my 35/65vg juice.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
    Aug 26, 2015
    Northern VA
    When I get mine, I'll try the V1 RBA, which always worked with my 35/65vg juice.
    Agree. Topfill is nice, and the black trim looks good with the platinum box, but with the juice hole that high in the column, it feels like you can only use a little more than half the tank's listed capacity. I'm with ashtrayogdc - I'll probably buy a crap ton of the original stainless STMs if they go on sale.

Rustyfari

Jan 19, 2016
    i love this tank soo much this is my current build. 26/32 awg kanthal clapton paralleled with 26 awg kanthal it reads at 0.3ohm
    Staged heating coil.jpg

This is a staged heating coil so the ramp up time of the 26 awg kanthal accelerates the ramp up of the clapton :)

Nailz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    I have 3 v1 subtank minis which I use the RBA v2 head on and they have been awesome for me since I got them a long time ago, no leaking or dry hits, never upgraded to the newer v2 mini, as saw no need, but then saw a good sale on the black mini v2's, so got 2 of them.

Don't know what the difference is, but these newer one's leak, and I have tried everything with them, used my older RBA v2 heads and still leaked, so switched out the orings, basically sapping out everything but the actual tank from my trusted v1's and they still leak, which sucks, as they do look really good on my black mods.

So even though would like top fill, after my experience with the mini v2's, I will stick with my trusted v1's.

vincom

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Philippines

ive bought 2 stminis feb 2015, use only the rbas which i have dremelled out the weep holes.
    i have none of the issues u mentioned.
    beween both rbas i vape 20-30 mls of juice/day at between 25 to 40w.
    still going strong to this day

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
    Aug 26, 2015
    Northern VA
    ive bought 2 stminis feb 2015, use only the rbas which i have dremelled out the weep holes.
    i have none of the issues u mentioned.
    beween both rbas i vape 20-30 mls of juice/day at between 25 to 40w.
    still going strong to this day
    Glad to hear you're plugging away happily. My issues started when I used my v2 rba in the topbox, not the STM. Sounds like you're using the v1, and @puffon said he is going to test the v1 in the topbox. Then we'll know. Of course, knowing Kanger, they'll prob come out with a "v2 topbox rba" with a lower juice hole soon.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    I have only used the V2 RBA. Works great for me in the V2 STM no leaky at all.
    Mine are the shiny tanks not the colored ones.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Katya

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    and @puffon said he is going to test the v1 in the topbox. Then we'll know. Of course, knowing Kanger, they'll prob come out with a "v2 topbox rba" with a lower juice hole soon.
    Mine is coming from Fasttech, so it might be a couple months.
    Hopefully Kanger will figure out you can't drain the tank, with the hole so high up.

Reactions: dcdozer

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I have only used the V2 RBA. Works great for me in the V2 STM no leaky at all.
    Mine are the shiny tanks not the colored ones.

Same here. :) No problems whatsoever with my silver V2. No leaks, no nothing. It even works with Aspire BVC and Kanger PT coils... :lol:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread