Do e-cigarettes make it harder to stop smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
An Individual can Contribute or Support to any Political Cause or Candidate they choose.

And it would seem Only Natural that I would Consider making a Contribution to a Political Party, Candidate or Cause that would support the Direction/Funding that I believe would help the University, College or School where I am Employed.
The huge amount of money Hillary gets from UC people might be very unhelpful for vaping if she wins. Plus, I have a feeling a lot of it is from the TC cult.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The huge amount of money Hillary gets from UC people might be very unhelpful for vaping if she wins. Plus, I have a feeling a lot of it is from the TC cult.

It could be.

To be honest, I don't know how Any of the Crop of Candidates (either R or D) would/could effect the e-Cigarette Market?

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
Just me, I could be wrong, but.....
The pack of candidates from my view was 3 possibilities.
None are Obama Clones.
One is an Political Insider, so No
One is a Proven Lier, that I think qualifies him as a Political Insider, so No
The last one is a Political Wildcard, so holding my nose I'm diving into the cesspool.

Reactions: mykline

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
It could be.

To be honest, I don't know how Any of the Crop of Candidates (either R or D) would/could effect the e-Cigarette Market?
vaping is a big deal to us. The candidates briefing papers probably have a list of 200 major issues, and 5000 minor issues, with vaping near the bottom of the second list. And not because "V" is at the wrong end of the alphabet.

Why would any branch of government want to help us? Standing up for vaping would cause a huge loss of revenue at every level, affecting both parties equally. And outrage among some of their most powerful donors. And giving the other party a big stick to beat them with. They might get the gratitude of the small percentage of vapers who are even aware of the political shenanigans, but they know that in the current, carefully nurtured climate of mutual hatred nobody is going to change their vote because of a single issue. Did I mention doing the right thing? No, for some reason I didn't mention that.

If it had become a partisan issue then maybe. If one party was exclusively forcing the battle against vaping then the other party might be willing to take the hits and support vaping. But that isn't going to happen because they both feed out of the same trough. I know some folks think it really is a partisan issue, but that's not my problem.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Vaping is a big deal to us. The candidates briefing papers probably have a list of 200 major issues, and 5000 minor issues, with vaping near the bottom of the second list. And not because "V" is at the wrong end of the alphabet.

I'd love to see that sort of list, rather than the speculation of it. I think being fair, that vaping is in top 100 and right now is likely near the bottom 20 of that list.

Why would any branch of government want to help us?

Because one party could invoke agenda/policies that vapers scream about and many of those vapers are voters. So, like any issue (ever), the elected representatives would hear from the citizens that government has gone too far and needs to be reined in.

Judiciary branch has already helped us, in a significant way.

FSPTCA, while supported in a rather bipartisan way (though far from unanimously) could easily have exemptions put forth, and thus it would be pretty visible for congress or POTUS to have positions that state exemptions are reasonable or not. Again, all this having to do with overreach.

Standing up for vaping would cause a huge loss of revenue at every level, affecting both parties equally.

How so? Or how is this different than any of the major issues?

And outrage among some of their most powerful donors. And giving the other party a big stick to beat them with. They might get the gratitude of the small percentage of vapers who are even aware of the political shenanigans, but they know that in the current, carefully nurtured climate of mutual hatred nobody is going to change their vote because of a single issue. Did I mention doing the right thing? No, for some reason I didn't mention that.

From thread I started on ranking of issues, I'm fairly convinced that some vapers will be single issue voters. Vast majority will not. But the closer we get to November 2016, the more I think vaping has a chance of popping up on national radar and/or that politically aware vapers will have clear indication on which candidates are likely to make things worse or possibly make things better. I currently don't see a candidate who would make things better, but do see at least 2 candidates who could make things worse.

If it had become a partisan issue then maybe. If one party was exclusively forcing the battle against vaping then the other party might be willing to take the hits and support vaping. But that isn't going to happen because they both feed out of the same trough. I know some folks think it really is a partisan issue, but that's not my problem.

Because FSPTCA happened under one party's watch and because partisan politics are currently alive and well, then it stands a reasonable chance that vaping will be framed as a partisan issue. Especially if one considers that in 2014-15, congress did have hearings on the issue and those hearings were very partisan, and the side that wasn't visibly against vaping/us, was saying things that a politically aware vaper could support.

In essence, your post comes down to whether or not vaping will make its way onto the national radar before 2016 elections. I think it will and I think it won't be considered a top 10 issue for any candidate, with possible exception that those against us might see it as way tie BV to BT and justify overreach in that way. But we don't need it to be top 10 for it to be dealt with in significant way. Just a message of 'government will stop the overreach on this issue' would go a long ways.

Candidates and current government officials who are about less government / overreach will be people that could easily be seen as helping vaping industry / community. Whether or not they do is anyone's guess. Just like every other issue that these same political types weigh in on.

And again all this relates to OP because clearly the people that commissioned study to suggest vaping doesn't help with quitting smoking are people that overwhelmingly support one party in America. This has already been shown in this thread.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
So let me see 'do e-cigs make it harder to stop smoking'.
I smoked 43 years PAD and quit the day that I got my first vaping setup. Guess the answer would be No. And I was not really trying to quit, just cut down. The cost of cigs was the main reason for trying e-cigs.
Our Govment wants to make it harder to quit by imposing regs, taxing, handing vaping over to BT, Doing everything possible to stop vaping from becoming a replacement for smoking, PROHIBITION.
Our Govment floods the 'Media' with as much PROPAGANDA about how terrible vaping is to scare the Sheeple into continued Smoking. The whole Witch Hunt about the Evils of Vaping is a tactic that the Media Spews due to pressure from Govment and their Minions (alpha agencies) that spout 'we don't know and more study'. While the whole thing they are after is 'KILL VAPING'.
My take is if vaping works for you make sure that All Political Flies Know That How They View Vaping Determines How You Will Vote, Now And Going Forward. And the current Political System Must Change.
'I'm Mad as Hell And I'm Not Gonna Take It Anymore!!'

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
original.jpg
I can promise you that "Stantontific Method" is going to work it's way into my vocabulary.
And I'll see what I can do about spreading it worldwide.
:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread