Status
Not open for further replies.

Noble Gas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
Hello, fellow snake charmers. My second Serpent arrived a couple days ago and today I retired my kayfun 4 clone. This rta is superb. I've tried multiple juices at various VG levels and wattages etc. and everything tastes great. Today I used some of the included organic cotton (which I've never tried before) and it's been fantastic. It seems no matter what kind of build I put in, or how careless I am with wicking, this Serpent performs like a champ.

Slaren

Feb 7, 2016
Thanks for the details @Mooky, that makes a lot of sense now.

Unfortunately I have bad news. At first I tried with the Serpent's screw, but rather than pushing the base out what would happen is that it would get screwed back into the Serpent (remember that it is reverse threaded). So I looked for a different screw and managed to find one that would fit just right without damaging the insulation. This worked better, but instead of separating the base what happened was that the air hole (together with the positive post) was getting pushed out of the build deck. I kept trying and eventually the piece snapped where it has four holes (can be seen in @Mooky's pictures). The atomizer was useless to me as it was so it isn't a big loss, but to anyone thinking about doing the same let it serve as a warning, if it doesn't open easily with this method stop! and go back to the drawing board.

Mooky

Jan 4, 2016
Canada, Qc
I
Thanks for the details @Mooky, that makes a lot of sense now.

Unfortunately I have bad news. At first I tried with the Serpent's screw, but rather than pushing the base out what would happen is that it would get screwed back into the Serpent (remember that it is reverse threaded). So I looked for a different screw and managed to find one that would fit just right without damaging the insulation. This worked better, but instead of separating the base what happened was that the air hole (together with the positive post) was getting pushed out of the build deck. I kept trying and eventually the piece snapped where it has four holes (can be seen in @Mooky's pictures). The atomizer was useless to me as it was so it isn't a big loss, but to anyone thinking about doing the same let it serve as a warning, if it doesn't open easily with this method stop! and go back to the drawing board.
I'm really sorry for you Slaren.
I must be lucky on this one. I managed to open it two times.
Maybe the positive pole can be push again in place ? It should be if it can get out from there.
Maybe someone else will have an idea to resolve this.
Would like to help more but pretty hard here.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

Slaren

Feb 7, 2016
I

I'm really sorry for you Slaren.
I must be lucky on this one. I managed to open it two times.
Maybe the positive pole can be push again in place ? It should be if it can get out from there.
Maybe someone else will have an idea to resolve this.
Would like to help more but pretty hard here.

Tanks for your advice.

Even if I finally managed to disassemble (and I don't see how) it I don't think that the positive/air intake piece can be repaired. It's fine anyway, I knew that I was taking a risk trying to disassemble something that isn't designed for being disassembled, and I clearly applied way more force than would be reasonable. I will probably get a SS one eventually if fasttech refuses to replace the base, it is still an awesome RTA in my mind - just be aware that some people are having connectivity issues with the black one.

Reactions: Mooky

Mooky

Jan 4, 2016
Canada, Qc
Even if I finally managed to disassemble (and I don't see how) it I don't think that the positive/air intake piece can be repaired. It's fine anyway, I knew that I was taking a risk trying to disassemble something that isn't designed for being disassembled, and I clearly applied way more forcue than would be reasonable. I will probably get a SS one eventually if fasttech refuses to replace the base, it is still an awesome RTA in my mind - just be aware that some people are having connectivity issues with the black one.
Thanks for your advices. Should put a caution on my post. :confused:

Regards,

Mooky

Last edited:

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Got my black "Snake" in today. Beautiful finish. AFC and JFC are a bit harder to adjust than my SS version, but no leaks so far. As always, the Serpent is a great vape! Did notice it has a shorter, wide bore mouthpiece in the black version than the SS. Odd?

Attachments

• Black Snake.JPG
    Black Snake.JPG
    491.8 KB · Views: 69

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I got my 2 black Serpents today and neither has the jumpy ohms as I feared but they both leak like a sieve while I'm filling them. I have the JC as closed as I can get it which is very hard compared to my SS one's. I'm positive I didn't get any juice in the air tube so anybody know why it leaks out the air holes while filling?

Mooky

Jan 4, 2016
Canada, Qc
I got my 2 black Serpents today and neither has the jumpy ohms as I feared but they both leak like a sieve while I'm filling them. I have the JC as closed as I can get it which is very hard compared to my SS one's. I'm positive I didn't get any juice in the air tube so anybody know why it leaks out the air holes while filling?
I would say, personally when I screw the base, I take the tank and the Flow control ring firmly because the base can screw on the tank but not completely in the chimney. By security, When the top cap is on the first thread, I turn it up side down and slowly completing the screwing. For filling, I take the tank and the JC ring firmly to remove the top cap. Also, just by curiousity, can you see any gap between the positive pole and the plastic insulator and the deck ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    847 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Reactions: tmcase

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I would say, personally when I screw the base, I take the tank and the Flow control ring firmly because the base can screw on the tank but not completely in the cheminey. Also, just by curiousity, can you see any gap between the positive pole and the plastic insulator and the deck ?

I think I did that the way you said but it didn't look like the chimney was touching the deck. It looked like there was a teeny tiny gap but I couldn't tighten the JC anymore.

As far as a gap between the insulator and the deck, well I'll have to check that when I rebuild. It's not leaking now and I don't want to screw it up.

I lost about a half ml of juice out those air holes. Once I got it filled up and the top cap on and cleaned up the mess, it leaked again when I opened up the JC. Once I started vaping the leaking stopped. What PITA. I should have stuck with the SS. I haven't had a problem with those. :mad:

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
I think I did that the way you said but it didn't look like the chimney was touching the deck. It looked like there was a teeny tiny gap but I couldn't tighten the JC anymore.

As far as a gap between the insulator and the deck, well I'll have to check that when I rebuild. It's not leaking now and I don't want to screw it up.

I lost about a half ml of juice out those air holes. Once I got it filled up and the top cap on and cleaned up the mess, it leaked again when I opened up the JC. Once I started vaping the leaking stopped. What PITA. I should have stuck with the SS. I haven't had a problem with those. :mad:
I gave up on using the JC on my black serpent. It just causes leaking for me.

Mooky

Jan 4, 2016
Canada, Qc

I understand that you're already well setup with your SST. So it should be the chimney that is not fixed correctly ? I dont see the relation with the black paint... At least they are not jumpy ohms sick !

Last edited:
Reactions: tmcase

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I understand that you're already well setup with your SST. So it should be the cheminey that is not fixed correctly ? I dont see the relation with the black paint... At least they are not jumpy ohms sick !

My guess is the chimney is the problem, not closing completely. I don't understand how some people can fill with the JC wide open. I can't even do that with my SS tank. :blink:

Reactions: Mooky

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
I'm using a 3mm coil so there is quite a bit of cotton. I will have to refill in the morning so I'll give it a try with the JC open but I expect a very big mess. :cry:
That's how I do it now, but I'm also using max VG (80+). A good bit of cotton, JC open, and quick refill.

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
While I don't have a problem with my black Serpent I wonder if they have another factory or line in the same factory doing the black one's? At first I didn't think much of it just assuming variable's in manufacturing or the later runs (being black) causing problems but once @DP2Raja posted that the drip tip is different on his black vs SS one's it may be a totally different supplier between the two.

Reactions: TheWestPole
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread