Sub ohm vs ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hmmm... something is wrong there. That means that your coil is reading 0.19 ohms. That tank doesn't come with a 0.19 ohm coil... that resistance is more in line with what you would see from a nickel coil and that would need to be vaped using temperature control. My immediate suggestion is that you need to change the coil.
I would perhaps guess the vendor put an Ni coil in as part of the setup..

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
she just put this coil in on Saturday and told me that i would last around 3 weeks. I am so lost. I just did it again and it says 2.23v now ... .... I feel like an old lady trying to use a computer! LOL
we're gonna get you straightened out, no worries. But a .19 coil is not for wattage mode. I think I would change it for the .5 coil.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome @Lyssie!

Actually, the choices are pretty endless on what to choose. When I first started, I was using 50/50 juice. In a little tank that held about 1.8mL juice with a coil that was about 1.8-2.0 ohms (NOT a sub-ohm coil ;) ) THAT got *me* to stop smoking.

As I've been traveling this road, I've branched out considerably, and I use higher-VG juices and run coils from about 0.25 ohm to 1.5 ohm. I have different kinds of devices and toppers that allow me this flexibility. I'm about 2 solid years into this now.

More VG is actually THICKER. PG is your flavor carrier. (MOAR KLOWDZ - go with VG; MOAR FLAVAH - go with PG) Some people have sensitivities to one or the other and have to watch how their juice is made. I'd really recommend getting a little bit of different PG/VG levels and see what *YOU* like. 'Cause in the end, it *IS* all about *YOU*. What I or anyone else likes doesn't mean you will.... That comes to flavors, too. I may LOVE a strawberry/blueberry/cream, and it might make you YAK....

What makes things "burn quicker" is the power with which you're driving your topper. I try to keep in mind that the device is merely a power source. The topper vaporizes the liquid to deliver the nicotine (presuming you have that in your juice. You can go from 0 - 24mg/ml or even upwards of 30-36mg/ml.) It is all about what *YOU* need and can handle.

To that end, however, sub-ohmming can deliver a stronger "hit" and so using lower-level nic juices will be "easier" on you (i.e. help you avoid getting "nic-sick")

You may hear about things like Mouth-to-Lung hits or Direct Lung hits. It's all about how you inhale. When I smoked, I basically took a drag while the corner of my mouth was open, so I could simultaneously pull in air. Some people take a drag into their mouth and then inhale (Mouth-to-Lung) Some people pull like a firehose and inhale directly (Direct Lung) You do what feels comfortable to you.

Keep asking questions - lots of cool people here, very willing to help!

Reactions: Kaezziel

Lyssie

Feb 8, 2016
Ohio
Ok ... so what should the setting be? I like a smooth hit with smoke but I am not trying to fill the room.

This is what the prod. description says ... but it doesn't tell me what I should set it at for desired affect.
The Kanger KBOX Mini Platinum Box MOD is equipped with a new chip that is not only able to produce an impressive 60 Watts of power, but is also capable of temperature control and sensing as well. Coupled with atomizer coils made with nickel (Ni-200) or titanium wire, the KBOX Mini Platinum allows you to control the actual temperature of the wire itself. This permits you to warm up the vapor’s temperature or cool it down, based on your personal preferences.​

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
@Lyssie, does that coil have a blue insulator ring??? "most" Nickel (Temperature-control) heads will use BLUE for Nickel coils. If that's the case, I wouldn't use this for the time being

ETA - the math is ringing true - just a shade above 0.19 Ohms for the power/voltage numbers she's giving!

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Ok ... so what should the setting be? I like a smooth hit with smoke but I am not trying to fill the room.

This is what the prod. description says ... but it doesn't tell me what I should set it at for desired affect.
The Kanger KBOX Mini Platinum Box MOD is equipped with a new chip that is not only able to produce an impressive 60 Watts of power, but is also capable of temperature control and sensing as well. Coupled with atomizer coils made with nickel (Ni-200) or titanium wire, the KBOX Mini Platinum allows you to control the actual temperature of the wire itself. This permits you to warm up the vapor’s temperature or cool it down, based on your personal preferences.​

As I do not have that mod, I would suggest looking in the directions to find out how to put it into temperature control mode. Once it is in TC mode, I would set the desired temperature at 350°F to start out with. You may then increase or decrease that setting to find your own personal 'sweet spot'.

That being said, that vendor did you a great disservice by starting you out with TC and not explaining it fully.

Lyssie

Feb 8, 2016
Ohio
@Lyssie, does that coil have a blue insulator ring??? "most" Nickel (Temperature-control) heads will use BLUE for Nickel coils. If that's the case, I wouldn't use this for the time being

ETA - the math is ringing true - just a shade above 0.19 Ohms for the power/voltage numbers she's giving!

how can i tell, it's full of juice?

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
how can i tell, it's full of juice?

You'd have to flip it over and open it up. The 'cheater' way is to try to set the mod to TC mode. If it isn't a temp control head (nickel or titanium coil), then it won't allow you to set temperature control.

Reactions: DingerCPA

Lyssie

Feb 8, 2016
Ohio
As I do not have that mod, I would suggest looking in the directions to find out how to put it into temperature control mode. Once it is in TC mode, I would set the desired temperature at 350°F to start out with. You may then increase or decrease that setting to find your own personal 'sweet spot'.

That being said, that vendor did you a great disservice by starting you out with TC and not explaining it fully.
So ... I figured out how to get it into the different modes (win for me) but now it is giving me options of Ni, Ti, SS and NC. They are all ready 230C.

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
So ... I figured out how to get it into the different modes (win for me) but now it is giving me options of Ni, Ti, SS and NC. They are all ready 230C.

I'd choose the Ni setting... that resistance indicates to me that it is most likely Ni200.

And I'd change the temp setting to 350F

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows

O.k. You're using the Ni-200 coil. Itsy-bitsy print on the side of the coil would show the resistance. Since it's already in the tank, you probably won't be able to see it now.

Personally, I would (carefully) open up the tank (drip-tip down) and unscrew the base. (you can take the drip tip off and set the rest of the tank down for a moment. Take out the coil that's in there and pop in the other one. That should be the 1.5Ω (ohm) coil. Then, put everything back together. Let it sit for a minute or two, to let juice soak the wicking material.

Then, set the device for about 10-12 W and take a little draw.... take a few more draws, and then, if you want, bump up the power by a half a watt or so.... Repeat until you maybe *just* get a slight burning taste - then BACK DOWN about a half a watt. You should be in a pretty happy zone for a bit.

Coil life varies by use. Some may last a day; others may last many days. If you're using dark, sweet juices, you will "gunk" up the coil, and the flavor subsides (even tastes burnt) maybe sooner than if you're using a lighter, less sweet juice.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
It's o.k., hon. My brothers are leading you in the right direction.....

You can take my suggestion with a grain of salt.... If you want to use the Nickel coil, FEEL FREE.... Now that you have the device set ( :w00t: good for YOU!!!!) you can safely use the coil provided. Start the temp moderately low, and like I suggested with the Watts setting, move up gradually until you get to where you like.

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
It's o.k., hon. My brothers are leading you in the right direction.....

You can take my suggestion with a grain of salt.... If you want to use the Nickel coil, FEEL FREE.... Now that you have the device set ( :w00t: good for YOU!!!!) you can safely use the coil provided. Start the temp moderately low, and like I suggested with the Watts setting, move up gradually until you get to where you like.

;) How come your suggestions just sound sweeter than mine? Must be that honeyed tongue of yours... you've gotta be one of the sweetest people I know! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I am now wondering if they even gave her the 1.5 ohm coil... it appears that she got a different kit than the standard Kbox kit... hers is a 60W TC mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread