Status
Not open for further replies.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
I find Clapton coils over rated, I much prefer a parallel build in my RDA's....

I get better performance out of my dual parallel 24g, than claptons on several tests & flavor seems the same, or not much difference at all to matter, but they are nice though to an extent.

I posted mine then saw this, hehe, that is the exact setup I use in both my Velocity mini and my Sapor, I find less spitback too..

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I find Clapton coils over rated, I much prefer a parallel build in my RDA's....

I posted mine then saw this, hehe, that is the exact setup I use in both my Velocity mini and my Sapor, I find less spitback too..
What about a fused 24g Clapton wrapped up in 38g or 40g? At gauges that high the added mass is so minimal. And if everyone here is building 28/32g Claptons and expecting a miracle you're not gonna get one. Key with Claptons is to do the wrap, yet still try to keep total mass down. Try out some 26/36 or 24/36. If you insist on using 28g, fuse it (2 strands of 28g instead of one) with 34g&up.
Also, maybe think about using N80, quicker ramp up & different heating properties than kanthal. Try a 24g kanthal core with a 34g or 36g N80 wrap.

Reactions: MMW

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
From a physics point of view captions only work better than a normal coil if you are using thick wire. 26-22g will work better wrapped in very small wire because it allows for better venting of the vapor out from under the wire. If you are using 32-28g you will see a loss in vapor production because of the added mass.

Clapton wire does not act as a wick for liquid.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
What about a fused 24g Clapton wrapped up in 38g or 40g? At gauges that high the added mass is so minimal. And if everyone here is building 28/32g Claptons and expecting a miracle you're not gonna get one. Key with Claptons is to do the wrap, yet still try to keep total mass down. Try out some 26/36 or 24/36. If you insist on using 28g, fuse it (2 strands of 28g instead of one) with 34g&up.
Also, maybe think about using N80, quicker ramp up & different heating properties than kanthal. Try a 24g kanthal core with a 34g or 36g N80 wrap.

The Womper Woom OR You Might Be A Modwomper

I prefer a parallel coil 244 kanthal, seems to suit the Sapor better too, nothing wrong with Claptons, just preferred the build I did after the above.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Where did the term "fused" get confusingly mistaken for "double strand"?

What exactly is fused in that wrap ?
Fused has been the term for Claptons with 2 cores for a while. I didn't come up with it. Like a 28g fused Clapton would be 2 strands of 28g claptoned together. I guess you could call it a 28g parallel Clapton if you wanted but fused sounds better haha
The Womper Woom OR You Might Be A Modwomper

I prefer a parallel coil 244 kanthal, seems to suit the Sapor better too, nothing wrong with Claptons, just preferred the build I did after the above.
I think I may be a Modwhomper but I also use my 528 Customs Monster v3 for MTL hits with the standard 3.2mm airflow pin. Even the 3.8mm "chuff" airflow pin is better with MTL than straight lung hits. And hey if you want I'd send you some fused 24g/40g Claptons to try out and see if you like them compared to regular parallel 24g.

Reactions: Rixsta

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Fused has been the term for Claptons with 2 cores for a while. I didn't come up with it. Like a 28g fused Clapton would be 2 strands of 28g claptoned together. I guess you could call it a 28g parallel Clapton if you wanted but fused sounds better haha

But it's not "fused".
That's just 100% completely incorrect.

And please do not use "Claptoned".
Lol
That's not a word, and it's not a verb.
:facepalm:
image.jpg

And we pretend to wonder why people can't get accurate information on vaping.

Reactions: Tom Forde

jesuslizard36

Aug 26, 2015
I find claptons of any sort, fused, twisted staggered fused etc much much cooler. that's my main reason for using them. im vaping a single twisted,staggered fused running 0.12 ohm on my mech and it's soooooo cool. almost a little to cool. my standard parallel twisted 24 gauge are a bit warmer. still love them claptons though. might use em in my next comp.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I find claptons of any sort, fused, twisted staggered fused etc much much cooler. that's my main reason for using them. im vaping a single twisted,staggered fused running 0.12 ohm on my mech and it's soooooo cool. almost a little to cool. my standard parallel twisted 24 gauge are a bit warmer. still love them claptons though. might use em in my next comp.

That's way over your battery CDR.
Your vape might cool but your battery isn't.
:)

Reactions: Tom Forde

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
That's way over your battery CDR.
Your vape might cool but your battery isn't.
:)
I'll use the word Clapton in any way I like haha. But for you I'll say two strands of 24g wrapped together is a FUSED Clapton. Like I said, I didn't make the term, someone else started it (no idea who), and it stuck. Ask about a fused Clapton and a builder will tell you what it is regardless of correctness or accuracy. That's what it's named. Simple. Whatever.

And I agree with you, @jesuslizard36 that is below your battery's CDR. Use a parallel box with 30A batteries. Or a regulated mod. And if you're doing a comp, be safe. And keep with the basics. No Claptoned or Claptons or Claptoning (I had to say it Ninja haha)

I'm running a set of .20Ω framed staple aliens on my Petri on my Subzero mod. With vtc4's. Mr Ninja, is aliens an incorrectly used term also? Or should I refer to them as "repetitive sine wave looking wraps over ribbon and round wire cores"?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I'll use the word Clapton in any way I like haha. But for you I'll say two strands of 24g wrapped together is a FUSED Clapton. Like I said, I didn't make the term, someone else started it (no idea who), and it stuck. Ask about a fused Clapton and a builder will tell you what it is regardless of correctness or accuracy. That's what it's named. Simple. Whatever.

And I agree with you, @jesuslizard36 that is below your battery's CDR. Use a parallel box with 30A batteries. Or a regulated mod. And if you're doing a comp, be safe. And keep with the basics. No Claptoned or Claptons or Claptoning (I had to say it Ninja haha)

I'm running a set of .20Ω framed staple aliens on my Petri on my Subzero mod. With vtc4's. Mr Ninja, is aliens an incorrectly used term also? Or should I refer to them as "repetitive sine wave looking wraps over ribbon and round wire cores"?

How exactly are they fused?
Fused wire means welded.

Use the wrong term all you
Like.
It makes you sound like you don't understand what you are talking about.

They are parallel core wire.
We call them Clapton coils because they look like guitar strings.

"Claptoning" as a verb? really?

Again, no wonder people get confused.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
How exactly are they fused?
Fused wire means welded.

Use the wrong term all you
Like.
It makes you sound like you don't understand what you are talking about.

They are parallel core wire.
We call them Clapton coils because they look like guitar strings.

"Claptoning" as a verb? really?

Again, no wonder people get confused.
How many times do I have to say I didn't invent the term or the type of wrap?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
How many times do I have to say I didn't invent the term or the type of wrap?

Didn't say you did, but perpetuating someone else's incorrect terminology doesn't make it okay.
It's confusing to new vapers or anyone trying to understand what we are posting.

Be part of the solution not the problem.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Didn't say you did, but perpetuating someone else's incorrect terminology doesn't make it okay.
It's confusing to new vapers or anyone trying to understand what we are posting.

Be part of the solution not the problem.
Vaping isn't welding though. Not everyone comes from that kind of background. I work in artist/production management/development & sound design. So to me a fuse is a form of protection for an amplifier to stop it from blowing or shorting.
So the terminology should be fused Clapton IMO, as that's what that type of wrap is most commonly referred to as.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread