Jun 17, 2012
NYC
RX200 converted to a dual 18650 DNA200 squonker
Thanks Capt and TWP for the forstner tips
It works great, only problem was I can't level the bits with the mod
Is not perfect but it works
a7c6e0cdf6a22c761875cd4c46cab992.jpg
ef803fce7bdd7a8423e8e9c2eee9ffc8.jpg
Looks really good, nice job sub. What is that bottle connector you used on the FD low pro cap? Looks really Professional and the squonk kit looks custom. If you dont mind me asking, where did you get it?

Reactions: Kenna

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
Checked SC website under tools and all products, didn't find any squonk kits or top caps...

They don't sell the parts separately, that just looks like the one they use in the mod. I know @Subohmies has three Steamcrave squonk boxes that he's already modded.

Subohmies

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Mid North Coast, AUSTRALIA
I had this same idea for an RX. I don't actually have one in my hands, but I saw one the other day at a local shop and thought 'man that would be a great squonker.' Any tips you would share after making yours? I'm planning on making this a reality like you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's some basic step you need for this conversion
1) widen the screen cutout on the RX body
2) filled the firing button and and sand the + - buttons
3) countersunk the 510 ,filled the existing hole with metal putty and sand it off
4) (battery tray)take out the connectors of the 3rd cell and drill a hole for the 510
5) have to run wires for the 510 on top of the tray, need some cutting and sanding. I don't have any photo to show but you'll know when you gutted yours
6) 510 will be the last thing to to solder after putting all thing together ( I use steam crave BF 510)
7) cut out a squonk hole and done
bb2302890b83a37170861751227174f9.jpg

Subohmies

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Silly me, now I see it on the steam crave mod...I would like to find a 510 like that without having to buy the mod....looks better than most of the high-end ones being sold around...
Yeah I like the way they design their 510
57703bf80d930973d303152b8442669d.jpg

joecarroll42

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Virginia
Here's some basic step you need for this conversion
1) widen the screen cutout on the RX body
2) filled the firing button and and sand the + - buttons
3) countersunk the 510 ,filled the existing hole with metal putty and sand it off
4) (battery tray)take out the connectors of the 3rd cell and drill a hole for the 510
5) have to run wires for the 510 on top of the tray, need some cutting and sanding. I don't have any photo to show but you'll know when you gutted yours
6) 510 will be the last thing to to solder after putting all thing together ( I use steam crave BF 510)
7) cut out a squonk hole and done
bb2302890b83a37170861751227174f9.jpg

Sweet! I'm picking up a RX in the next day or so, hopefully I'll have it by this weekend. Thanks for the advice! I've never dealt with the DNA200 though. What can I expect from it? I hear nothing but good things, but most of what I've seen is using Lipos. How's it do with the dual 18650 setup?

Subohmies

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
I like dual or lipo setup compared to 3s 18650 is because is lighter
To get the max vape time out of it I set my cut off to 3.0v on all my duals mods.
As for wiring I just tapped all together without running extra wires on the balance charging. I've heard the cell won't be charge properly that way but I never charge my 18650 via use so I can live with it just to save some space. The rolo might look bulky but it's actually not much room for extra wires not even thicker gauge wire.
I just use 18g wire for my output on this conversion.

joecarroll42

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Virginia
I like dual or lipo setup compared to 3s 18650 is because is lighter
To get the max vape time out of it I set my cut off to 3.0v on all my duals mods.
As for wiring I just tapped all together without running extra wires on the balance charging. I've heard the cell won't be charge properly that way but I never charge my 18650 via use so I can live with it just to save some space. The rolo might look bulky but it's actually not much room for extra wires not even thicker gauge wire.
I just use 18g wire for my output on this conversion.
I'm looking forward to getting this build going. I'm glad I've got a reference point to go from. I'll try not to bug you too much. You said something about the buttons and the screen opening? What exactly did you have to do there?

Subohmies

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
I'm looking forward to getting this build going. I'm glad I've got a reference point to go from. I'll try not to bug you too much. You said something about the buttons and the screen opening? What exactly did you have to do there?

The buttons on the RX board are higher, so they slotted the firing button and makes the +- thicker
That means you need to filled the firing button with some putty and sand off a bit on the +- for the DNA board.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Took a bite out of my Nikita today and converted it to a squonker. Haven't decided on a finish yet, probably a fine brush. May soften the edges a bit more around the squonk window too. Thanks @Subohmies for the source on the bottle.

Ordered a second Nikita from FT so I can still have a dual. Set me back a whopping $16 and change with the current discount. Ridiculous bargain, and my favorite mech of the past year.

IMAG1600_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG1603_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG1596_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG1590_picmonkeyed_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG1592_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG1604_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

Subohmies

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Took a bite out of my Nikita today and converted it to a squonker. Haven't decided on a finish yet, probably a fine brush. May soften the edges a bit more around the squonk window too. Thanks @Subohmies for the source on the bottle.

Ordered a second Nikita from FT so I can still have a dual. Set me back a whopping $16 and change with the current discount. Ridiculous bargain, and my favorite mech of the past year.

View attachment 528998 View attachment 528999 View attachment 529000 View attachment 529001 View attachment 529002 View attachment 529003
Nice TWP....FDV V5?

sheerlucksherlock

Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
USA
I'm currently giving a go at building a bottom feeder. I'm going to power a Yihi sx350j v2 with one 18650. My question is what grade of battery contacts do I need? Does it matter?. Can i use just A/AA contacts? Do I need a universal or 18650 specific contacts? Sorry if this is a foolish question. I don't see hardly any 18650 specific battery contacts for sale. I'd rather try to be safe, rather than sorry later, hence the question. Thanks for your response in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread