First kanger starter kit no idea how to even thread cotton help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
When I go to change the setting's for the coil, it has "Ni/Ss/Ti/Tc" but that does not tell me what one I need to have selected for the Clapton coil. What is the 230 for? Temp control?

I don't have that mod, so am not real familiar with it, but I believe you change through settings with 3 clicks. It will scroll through the temp control selections and show the temp for those, but eventually will show nothing for the coil type, but change from a temp reading to a wattage reading. Your Clapton coil should run under that setting at your selected wattage.

I see you added a post showing running it at 22.5 watts, so looks like you've got it. May just want to play with the wattage and air flow to find what you like best.

Reactions: Douggro

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
howdy! and welcome! it seems that you have gotten answers to most of your questions and i don't want to muddy the waters - the whole vape-adventure can be a bit overwhelming at first - remember, it is a process and you are on the right track

the kanger is a great starter set up - lots of options, versatile, decent bit of power

one suggestion i would make in regards to replacement coils - check out sweet-vapes.com - pretty consistently some of the better replacement coil prices i see (and i have been running some of the ssocc .5ohm claptons in my kangers and lovin' em)... may be worth considering getting a second kanger toptank (28.95 at SV) so that you can have a second flavor loaded up - or a higher nic level juice, maybe, for when cravings hit

keep the faith and vape on, sister

Redmatt

Feb 4, 2016
Liverpool, uk
A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are sub-ohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.
  • 06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
  • 12 mg = 20 cigarettes
  • 18 mg = 30 cigarettes
  • 24 mg = 40 cigarettes

The Clapton coil should only be run in "power mode", not "temperature control" mode.

Here's the deal with the new SSOCC coils. SSOCC = Stainless Steel "coil housing" organic cotton coil.
  • Pink O-Ring: Stainless Steel wire. Power or SS TC mode, your choice.
  • Blue O-Ring: Nickel wire. Ni TC mode ONLY.
  • Black O-Ring: "Clapton" coil. Probably Kanthal, Power Mode ONLY.
  • Red O-Ring: NiChrome wire. Power Mode only. Made to use with the NiCh TC mode on the brand new Kanger TC mods. Doesn't actually TC according to reports. More work needed, we'll see. No other mods can TC it (TCR 0011ish... doesn't work).
Table from Fasttech.

View attachment 528875

Priming a Coil

When you are using a new coil for the first time, the wicks (usually they are cotton) have to be primed well with juice. If they are not primed well the cotton will burn. Once the cotton is burned the harsh/burnt taste doesn't go away.

To prime the coil, drop 5-8 drops (sometimes less/more depending on the size of the coil head) of juice right inside the coil, another drop of juice in all the holes on the side of the coil. Put the coil in the base.
  • If Bottom Filling - Fill the tank and then screw the base back onto the tank.
  • If Top Filling (some of the newer tanks are top filled) - Screw the tank on the base and then top fill it.
Once you put the tank on the battery give it several unpowered primer puffs. This will make sure the wick is fully saturated.

Rule of Thumb

The rule of thumb for EVERY regulated vape device you'll ever own is the same, when running in "power/wattage" mode. Start low power (wattage or voltage), take a draw, bump it up and repeat. If it starts to taste funny, gets too hot or tastes burnt, back it down. Different flavors will have different sweet spots so you just have to experiment.

Charging

Here are some safety guidelines I like to follow:
  • If using 18650 batteries, a freestanding charger is highly recommended. Get the best charger that you can reasonably afford. Statistically most battery incidents occur while charging. Pila, Xtar, and Nitecore Intellicharger are the most recommended brands.
  • Plugging your mod into your computers usb port takes the battery much longer to charge and if the batteries protection fails you could risk blowing your computers motherboard.
  • Don't leave the battery charging when someone is not around to unplug it when it is done charging. I also would not charge it overnight for the same reason.
eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerin"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.
Wish I'de found this site when I started. You've Explained what I needed to know 4 months ago. Haha
Self taught. Didnt even think to consult you tube till mid Jan. Started building coils n experimenting trial and error. Got hang of it now.
Stuck 4 a new tank tho. Amount of different tanks. I'm like a kid in a sweet shop.

Redmatt

Feb 4, 2016
Liverpool, uk
H
The only problem I'm still having is I am still getting juice in the mouthpiece, maybe that is normal, I don't know, but it's making my nose run still
Have you accidentally dropped juice down stem when filling the tank? Or sucking to hard or laid the box and tank flat? Sometimes it's just juice condensation.
Your runny nose will go after couple weeks as your body gets used to it.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
When I go to change the setting's for the coil, it has "Ni/Ss/Ti/Tc" but that does not tell me what one I need to have selected for the Clapton coil. What is the 230 for? Temp control?
If you are seeing "Ni/Ss/Ti/Tc" those are the different wire settings for temperature control. You need to get out of TC control mode to run the Clapton coil. If the screen shows "230" you are in TC mode.

Someone posted a video on page one. Watch it (or other youtube reviews) if you don't know how to switch modes and use all your settings.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
The best advice I could offer Mizzkitty at this point would be to find a better B&M. They sold her a higher end setup and let her walk out the door without knowing how to use/run it.

Unless of course, she wouldn't give them the time to show her to which they should have told her to come back when she had the time.

Either way, I still wish her good luck on getting it figured out.

Reactions: Redmatt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread