Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If it is unlikely for nic to be addictive why are (at least the online communities of) vapers panicking and stockpiling liters/gallons of it? A non-addictive substance is something you can easily do without but there has been thread after thread of how and what to stockpile, nic being at the very top of the list. If it is not addictive I don't believe we would be seeing people panicking and stockpiling nic (DIYers and non-DIYers) or stating they are afraid (or would) go back to smoking. Every vaper could drop to 0mg nic with no issues, vape non-nic eliquids and be fine to keep vaping instead of smoking.
I can only answer for myself.

I know for a fact that I am not addicted to nicotine in any way at this time.
But I continue to use it because of what I see as very important health benefits.

It improves memory, concentration, and attention.
This is not disputed.

And it can very well help prevent Alzheimers and Parkinsons.
There is an ever-growing body of work that is leading to that conclusion.

Again, I can't speak for anyone else.
But since you quoted me, I'll reply in kind.
:)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Addiction is wanting more and more and more. There are more than a few here that need less and less nicotine. Over time, that has been the case for me. I have never seen that in addiction.
And I'll just quote this, because it seems so obvious but apparently is not.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
several-stock-certificates-in-pile.jpg

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Medical definition
Simple Definition of dependence
  • : the state of needing something or someone else for support, help, etc.

• : the state of being addicted to alcohol or a drug
    • Full Definition of dependence
    • dependent; especially : the quality or state of being influenced or determined by or subject to another

• 2: reliance, trust

• 3: one that is relied on

• 4a : drug addiction <developed a dependence on painkillers>b : habituation 2b

You have it right , some people are very confused and do not know the difference between dependence , tolerance and addiction.

My question is why is this topic still being discussed lol, we all have our OWN OPINIONS , nobody is going to convince me nic is not addictive and i am certainly not going to convince others that it is .

Great point on the "stockpiling lol"

Lets move on people

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
It seems there is a tobacco "cocktail" with nicotine being one of 8-9 chemicals together that causes the addiction. Just nicotene, given to non smokers, does not seem to create any addiction or dependence.

This is probably why vaping doesn't work for everyone, or why some of us took a long time to transition. Using WTA or NETs can be necessary for some. I seem to need some NETs and it will be interesting to see what happens as I'm transitioning to all DIY if I'm going to have to extract from tobacco, get WTA or if all non tobacco will be ok for me.

Interesting questions.
I also wonder if cause/reason for defeating Smoking addiction comes into play.

Like you, I started smoking at a very young age - initially 9-10 and a Full blown PAD smoker by 13:facepalm:(hook/line/sinker:() By my early twenties I hit 1.5-2 PAD and attribute Marriage/Family building to not getting in deeper. Wife also smoked so no opposite argument to smoking.
I battled the Demon addiction many times and lost. My Best ever attempt was 18mg patches for almost 6 months. Each time I dropped to the next step, things got nasty and I moved back to a safe place.
Finally, looking at the Cost differential - Patches $23wk +TAX or Carton $16 Taxed:shock:
and I was back where I started.

Anyway, even with all the failures and heavy smoking addiction, I did make the transition in a single, not simple but determined move move. FAMILY was my motivation.(a fear of them struggling without me)

Best of luck in your future progression.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
If it is unlikely for nic to be addictive why are (at least the online communities of) vapers panicking and stockpiling liters/gallons of it? A non-addictive substance is something you can easily do without but there has been thread after thread of how and what to stockpile, nic being at the very top of the list. If it is not addictive I don't believe we would be seeing people panicking and stockpiling nic (DIYers and non-DIYers) or stating they are afraid (or would) go back to smoking. Every vaper could drop to 0mg nic with no issues, vape non-nic eliquids and be fine to keep vaping instead of smoking.

I am at 0 nic. If I was stressed and couldn't vape I would want a smoke.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
OK "play on words" via pics ---> Mow___ :) LOL At first I thought you had migrated to the dark side or I was infact on V U. Like I can instantly recall the topic of the dozens of threads I read. Bingo! About 20 seconds later! See how sharp I am! I'm the first to get it!

/HA!

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Interesting questions.
I also wonder if cause/reason for defeating Smoking addiction comes into play.

Like you, I started smoking at a very young age - initially 9-10 and a Full blown PAD smoker by 13:facepalm:(hook/line/sinker:() By my early twenties I hit 1.5-2 PAD and attribute Marriage/Family building to not getting in deeper. Wife also smoked so no opposite argument to smoking.
I battled the Demon addiction many times and lost. My Best ever attempt was 18mg patches for almost 6 months. Each time I dropped to the next step, things got nasty and I moved back to a safe place.
Finally, looking at the Cost differential - Patches $23wk +TAX or Carton $16 Taxed:shock:
and I was back where I started.

Anyway, even with all the failures and heavy smoking addiction, I did make the transition in a single, not simple but determined move move. FAMILY was my motivation.(a fear of them struggling without me)

Best of luck in your future progression.

It took me 2 months of dual use to fully transition to vaping. I stuck it out though because I was smoking a lot less, so I knew it had potential.

I began with 18mg. When my body said it was time I went to 12mg. Then switched to RBAs and went to 6mg. I've been at 6mg for 1.5 years though. I've tried going to 3, but I actually vape so much I'm using more nic. So that just seems kind of dumb, and I return to 6.

I have used some NETs all the way along. So I'll see how I do without them, and if its a problem I guess I'll do my own extractions or get WTA.

Reactions: corn flakes

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Question - I don't know much about NET, but I imagine it's not as efficient in delivering nicotine as the liquid nicotine is.

However, in a pinch (i.e., vapeapocolypse) could one make their own NET if they haven't stockpiled liquid nicotine and get their nic fix that way?
My understanding is that NET is done primarily for flavor and there's very little nic in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread