Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The 26650 testing is done!

There are some great choices for the VF Stout. Luckily, the highest performing 26650's are also the shortest in length so they will fit in our Stouts. Here are my recommendations...
    • Basen Black 4500mAh
    • Brillipower Green 80A 4500mAh
    • Efest Green 20A 4200mAh
    • MXJO Yellow 35A 3500mAh
    All of the above batteries appear to use the same cell under the wrap so you can buy any of them. The MXJO has a lower capacity than the others though. I do not know why.

CAUTION: These battery companies can change what is used under the wrap at any time! But without any 26650's being available from Samsung, Sony, or LG we're stuck using whatever these other companies offer.

26650 Ratings Table and Pulse Performance Data
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

26650 Bench Test Results:
    26650 Battery Bench Test Results and New Ratings Table

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    Mooch, thanks for getting this done so quickly and appreciate all your work.

If someone wanted to support you efforts how would they go about doing it?

KenD, everyone gets your position since you have it plastered in every Stout thread. It's a broken record dude, move on already. Users have a responsibility to know the limitations of both their batteries and the device. The same rules apply to a dual 18650 device that goes to 220W or a single cell 75W device. Your constant pushing of your position on this is almost becoming spam, move on man.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Hitcat44

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    But you'd agree that going up to 100w on any of these batteries is not the best of ideas?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Actually, any of these four easily handle 40A pulses (5 sec on/30 sec off) and only rise up to about 60°C if discharged all the way down to 2.5V. In a Stout they would probably only hit about 55°C°C due to the 2.9V cutoff.

The run time wouldn't be very good at 100W but certainly better than any 18650. At 100W you're above the CDR of all four of them but these 26650's just have their voltages crash instead of overheating if run too hard. They might get damaged some if the mod autofired at 100W but I don't think they would heat up anywhere near hot enough to vent.

I will have to finish the continuous current testing to know for sure.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Mooch, thanks for getting this done so quickly and appreciate all your work.

If someone wanted to support you efforts how would they go about doing it?

Thank you!
    I'll be starting a Go...Fund...Me page in a few weeks when the donations will be about gone. :)

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    Actually, any of these four easily handle 40A pulses (5 sec on/30 sec off) and only rise up to about 60°C if discharged all the way down to 2.5V. In a Stout they would probably only hit about 55°C°C due to the 2.9V cutoff.

The run time wouldn't be very good at 100W but certainly better than any 18650. At 100W you're above the CDR of all four of them but these 26650's just have their voltages crash instead of overheating if run too hard. They might get damaged some if the mod autofired at 100W but I don't think they would heat up anywhere near hot enough to vent.

I will have to finish the continuous current testing to know for sure.
    Ok, good to hear. I'm just kinda allergic to exceeding the cdr of batteries, and I think it's stupid by manufacturers to design devices that can do that :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Does anyone use panasonic 26650A Li-ion 5000mah?
    I bought 2 of this for my stout, they said do not heat above 212F, is that safe? Do I need to buy high drain 26650? My build just 0.5 above. Thanks
    s-l300.jpg

Do you know the continuous discharge rate (CDR) of those batteries? I tried to locate it, but was unsuccessful. It's an ICR (Li-ion) battery, which typically only have a 3 - 6 amp CDR. Not near enough amps for a 0.5 ohm build.

Yes, you need to buy a high drain IMR / INR battery with a CDR of at least 20 amps CDR. See the 4 recommended batteries Mooch listed at the beginning of this thread.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I really dont know much about it, now im start to learning in ecf...i cant find this battery continuous...

I build 28g kan with 20w, may be doesnt have any problems so far. As my area not easy to find high drain high amp batteries, thats the problem. Now I should beware of this...
    ICR (Li-ion) batteries rarely list their continuous discharge rate on their spec sheets. That's probably because they all are between 3 - 4 amps.

A 0.5 ohm coil will draw 8.4 amps from the battery. As you can clearly see, that's more than double what your Panasonic can handle safely. Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations

The below calculations demonstrate that the lower you go in ohms the higher the amp requirement becomes. See how your 0.5 ohm coil will draw OVER 8 amps from your battery.
    1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
    0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
    0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
    0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
    0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
    0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
    0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
    0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
    0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
    0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
    0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway​

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    ICR (Li-ion) batteries rarely list their continuous discharge rate on their spec sheets. That's probably because they all are between 3 - 4 amps.

A 0.5 ohm coil will draw 8.4 amps from the battery. As you can clearly see, that's more than double what your Panasonic can handle safely. Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations

The below calculations demonstrate that the lower you go in ohms the higher the amp requirement becomes. See how your 0.5 ohm coil will draw OVER 8 amps from your battery.
    1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
    0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
    0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
    0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
    0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
    0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
    0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
    0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
    0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
    0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
    0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway​
    That's in an unregulated setup though. With a vw mod the amp draw is determined by watts and battery voltage (lower voltage = higher amp draw, so best to use the cutoff voltage in the calculation. The formula is:

Watts (+10% to account for device inefficiency) / (cutoff) voltage = amps

Example:
    33 (30w+10%) / 3.3v = 10 amps

Resistance doesn't factor in.

Reactions: Mooch
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread