Dry Hits when mod is left for 20 mins or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karim.S

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

So I'm vaping with the isub apex on a Coolfire IV Plus with a .5 ohm coil at 20-25 watts. I vape with both 50/50 aswell as 80% VG juice.

I've noticed that whenever I leave my tank for 20 mins or so, I get approx 5 dry hits before all goes well again. I do ensure my coils are juiced well before placing them aswell as taking about 3 primer puffs with the airflow sealed, but the problem persists, is this normal? And does anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance

Vaping_Racoon

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2015
Montreal
I think maybe the coils can't handle the VG (some 80% are thicker than others)

You may have bunk coils

Or if you rebuild (I don't know your tank sorry) it must be your wicking that's not on point (too little or too much cotton will cause dry hits)

Also, a really gunky coil (dirty from juice) will decrease in perfomance and taste burnt, just like a dry hit.

Karim.S

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
I think maybe the coils can't handle the VG (some 80% are thicker than others)

You may have bunk coils

Or if you rebuild (I don't know your tank sorry) it must be your wicking that's not on point (too little or too much cotton will cause dry hits)

Also, a really gunky coil (dirty from juice) will decrease in perfomance and taste burnt, just like a dry hit.

It happens on 50/50 juice aswell so I doubt it's the thickness of the vg. I mentioned that currently I'm using an isub apex, and the rta I use is the steamcrave aromamizer and this also occurs with it.

On the premade coils for the apex I'm following all the requirements to avoid them but I still do, on the rta there isn't too much nor too little cotton, and the airflow is sufficient.

Like I said after it breaks in (usually always after the first 5-10 puffs) it seems to work fine, but it's annoying having to "break it in" everytime i pick it up needing to take only 2 drags or so.

Karim.S

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
Seems highly unusual. It normally works the other way. Leave it sitting, and the wick should be fully saturated. Bad coils, for a guess.

It happened with various coils I'm afraid. Could It well be that the isub apex is just a bad tank to use? Because I noticed that the isub g tends to not have this problem given all is the same.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
It happened with various coils I'm afraid. Could It well be that the isub apex is just a bad tank to use? Because I noticed that the isub g tends to not have this problem given all is the same.
it could be, but that seems unlikely too; most people who have one seem to like it. Maybe you have a bad one. Hhhmmm... disassemble it and check the seals. Maybe it has an air leak. Usually they flood when they do, but perhaps there's a bubble in the wick port or something.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I remember having this once, quite a while ago. Can't remember the atomizer, but I can remember the mod (the 'time' period).
Do you do (you can try) a few big pulls on the atomizer without firing it after it has sat unused for the 20 minutes. Get the bubbles flowing, dude. :)
(That was the only thing I could do).

Oh, I do remember now... (on holiday). It was 80% VG juice on a subtank mini with horizontal OCC coils. Yuk... it was bad. I can even name the juice too.

Karim.S

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
Could possibly be a vacuum problem. I don't have experience with your device in particular, but if a vacuum is not kept liquid might not be able to get to the coil. Could be that something is not sealed right with the atomizer, or that you're filling it up to full.

I do tend to always fill up my atomizer right to the top so I guess that could create a vacuum issue, but my question is do you know of anyone who has done this yet not had the same issues as me?

Karim.S

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
I remember having this once, quite a while ago. Can't remember the atomizer, but I can remember the mod (the 'time' period).
Do you do (you can try) a few big pulls on the atomizer without firing it after it has sat unused for the 20 minutes. Get the bubbles flowing, dude. :)
(That was the only thing I could do).

Oh, I do remember now... (on holiday). It was 80% VG juice on a subtank mini with horizontal OCC coils. Yuk... it was bad. I can even name the juice too.

Could you describe the exact taste pls? Was it a throat burning sensation which in turn mutes the flavour or an actual dry hit? And would the vape go nice and smooth after about 15 drags?

I'm not entirely sure if it's a dry hit I'm getting or just a burning dry sensation with minimal flavour.

Karim.S

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
it could be, but that seems unlikely too; most people who have one seem to like it. Maybe you have a bad one. Hhhmmm... disassemble it and check the seals. Maybe it has an air leak. Usually they flood when they do, but perhaps there's a bubble in the wick port or something.

I always ensure it is assembled air tight with the airflow port fully open. Though I have noticed a bubble or two floating upwards in the tank when I rotate it upside down?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I always ensure it is assembled air tight with the airflow port fully open. Though I have noticed a bubble or two floating upwards in the tank when I rotate it upside down?
No, it's supposed to bubble into the tank like that. As the juice is used, the wick draws in more, reducing the pressure in the tank. The vape chamber is at atmospheric pressure, through the drip tip. When the pressure differential gets big enough, a bubble of air is drawn through the wick into the tank to equalize the pressure.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Could you describe the exact taste pls? Was it a throat burning sensation which in turn mutes the flavour or an actual dry hit? And would the vape go nice and smooth after about 15 drags?

I'm not entirely sure if it's a dry hit I'm getting or just a burning dry sensation with minimal flavour.

A real dry hit is unmistakable. I wouldn't call it a dry hit; the cotton is wet so it's not a full-scale 'let's burn this wick' moment, but something in between.

Maybe the 'gunk' on the coil has just cooled down and needs re-heating again. I don't know fully. It was certainly with an 80% VG juice though. Not had it with 50%.

Curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread