HOHM Wrecker 151W TC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I saw a YouTube review where the reviewer took cotton and set the temperature to 700f. It barely scorched it. He then goes on to say that proves it does TC on Kanthal. How clueless can he be? At 700f it would start on fire immediately. I don't know what it's doing, but I do know it's not true TC (taste control or dry hit prevention come to mind). Not really surprised since Kanthal basically has such a minimal change in resistance as it heats up. The math suggests true TC with Kanthal using resistance isn't really possible with existing equipment. I'll look for the review so you don't have to take my word on it.

TCR Chart showing the minisule change in Resistance compared to other TC wire.
qDpbMVR.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

Edit. Here's the review:

Last edited:

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
ben sed in the video that their chip isn't doing kanthal tc like other chips do tc. i'm pretty sure their chip is still reading the change in resistance. i'm just thinking, with all of the variables i.e. loose connections, hot spots, quality of the rda and 510 etc., the tiny amount of resistance change for kanthal is going to give people more headaches than a pleasurable vape. some people are still having trouble to tc SS wire. so imagine an even lower tcr than SS. not saying impossible but, is kanthal tc that much needed? we have so many other wires for tc, why bother tc'ing kanthal?

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
ben sed in the video that their chip isn't doing kanthal tc like other chips do tc. i'm pretty sure their chip is still reading the change in resistance. i'm just thinking, with all of the variables i.e. loose connections, hot spots, quality of the rda and 510 etc., the tiny amount of resistance change for kanthal is going to give people more headaches than a pleasurable vape. some people are still having trouble to tc SS wire. so imagine an even lower tcr than SS. not saying impossible but, is kanthal tc that much needed? we have so many other wires for tc, why bother tc'ing kanthal?
Kanthal is cheap, widely used with high availability. Sure there's reason.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
is kanthal that much cheaper than SS or ni? i know Ti can get costly. if we can get kanthal tc to the point where the vape can as stable and as smooth as Ni or Ti, i'm in. i dunno, i might buy the g2 board from hohm tech and play around with it. but not before i get my hands on an artery nugget mod!

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
If you have a DNA200, you can go into the device manager and watch what happens as you vape. Put on Ni200 and you see the graph go up until set temperature and then a smooth line. Same with Ti01. Then a touch more jagged with SS 430, and a bit more yet with 316L. As the TCR goes down, mods have to scramble to try and keep temperature stable.

My point is, the TCR of those materials get smaller and smaller. SS 316 is huge compared to the practically non existent change of Kanthal. With the equipment we have today, trying to measure that change is always going to be a guesstimate at best. Just the way we hook up our coils, then the tank to the mod will make it darn near impossible. It can't even TC 316 SS accurately, let alone Kanthal with a TCR 46 times smaller.

I honestly don't see what the fascination is with trying to TC Kanthal, there are plenty of wires out there that have a measurable change in resistance that actually work. I guess people always want the impossible, must be human nature.

Edit I guess I'm old enough to have learned that if somethings main selling point is gimmicky it's best to run, not walk away as fast as I can.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Haylon357

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
USA
I can personally tell you why that idea is appealing. I don't like the idea of vaping off NI200. I never have and I never will. I'm allergic to Titanium so that's a no no. I haven't tried SS yet. I will venture to say that most everyone here started vaping on kanthal and are very familiar working with it. For others, the idea of TC Kanthal, no matter how impossible, might be appealing because of the familiarity. Nothing new to learn.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I can personally tell you why that idea is appealing. I don't like the idea of vaping off NI200. I never have and I never will. I'm allergic to Titanium so that's a no no. I haven't tried SS yet. I will venture to say that most everyone here started vaping on kanthal and are very familiar with working withdrawal of it. For others, the idea of TC Kanthal, no matter how impossible, might be appealing because of the familiarity. Nothing new to learn.
Actually, when you go from VW to TC, there are a number of things to learn.
430 SS is the best material I've found for vaping. You should try some, even in VW mode.
Just might surprise yourself.

Reactions: Wingsfan0310

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Actually, when you go from VW to TC, there are a number of things to learn.
430 SS is the best material I've found for vaping. You should try some, even in VW mode.
Just might surprise yourself.
I agree completely. I've been using 430 SS and have really been enjoying it. The higher TCR also works out quite nicely! Haven't touched my 316L since I received the 430.

Cheers,
Steve

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Where did you get 430? You can pm me if you like. Thanks

I bought my SS 430 from Unkamen Supplies located in Missouri. It was a good experience dealing with them. Ordered on a Tuesday night, it shipped the next day, and I received it that Friday. Been very happy using it.

Cheers,
Steve

jstrong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
Virginia
I bought my SS 430 from Unkamen Supplies located in Missouri. It was a good experience dealing with them. Ordered on a Tuesday night, it shipped the next day, and I received it that Friday. Been very happy using it.

Cheers,
Steve
Just ordered some. Thanks for the link. Not half bad for a Detroit Red Wings fan ;) They seem to be doing fairly well on penalty killings this year. I am a Blackhawks fan. The first Hockey Jersey that I ever bought was when I was 10 in 1990 and I only bought it because I loved the cool Indian logo little did I know I would forever be a Blackhawks fan from that moment on. 20 years later and 3 Stanley Cups in the last 5 years was worth the wait.

Reactions: Wingsfan0310

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
@Wingsfan0310 How do you feel about the Red Wings not playing in Joe Louis arena anymore?
They're still playing in the Joe for the rest of this year and all of next season. I'll miss it being right on the river. Lots of good memories there for me. I actually went to a few games at the Old Red Barn (The Olympia) before they moved to the Joe. Honestly, I was more sad to see the Tigers leave Tiger Stadium. That was a great place to see a ballgame. The upper deck overhung the lower deck. Upper Deck Box Seats were actually a touch closer than lower deck box seats.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit. I started thinking about it after you asked. I remember when I first started driving to games myself. Illitch was giving away a car after every game trying to fill the Joe. Yzerman was a rookie iirc. We use to buy tickets for $5 (under face value). We went a lot. That was the start of a great run. I'm going to miss the place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread