Not open for further replies.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Which is good because putting it in the freezer here won't go down well with the mrs :)

Oh I went through that with the wife when I started some 3+ years ago. I simply said "Your right honey I'll get rid of the NIC and replace it with packs of cigarettes being that I won't be able to tolerate the taste of spoiled nic and will have no choice but to take up smoking again". Now I even have my own shelf in the freezer with enough NIC to last me until I die:)

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
Looking around the net it seems to depend on the batch of nicotine. Some get away with a cool dark cupboard for months, some have had it in the fridge for a year with no issues and some freeze.

I calculate i'll be using around 5ml a month at my current vaping rate but that will probably increase if i start making my own so a 250ml bottle is too much. I'll probably go for a 50ml bottle and try the fridge first.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ok so if i bought 250ml of VG based 72mg nicotine that comes in a plastic bottle i couldn't just put it in the freezer and open it to draw out what i need whenever i mix up a new batch of juice?
Of course you could do that. But every time you open it, it gets exposed to more oxygen and water (humidity in the air), neither of which is good for it.

How long do you expect that nic to last? I might suggest buying some empty 60ml glass bottles. You can probably squeeze 250 ml into four of those. Then you've only got one that you're working at a time while the rest sit in the freezer undisturbed.

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
I guess it depends on how you define "degradation". I did something similar last summer. I ordered 120ml bottles of "premium" PG nic from four different vendors for the blind comparison I organized. I then kept what was left of all four (about 1/3 of each) sitting in a dark cabinet in their original bottles in an air-conditioned house for two months. I did not test their strength, but I can tell you this: All four had gotten considerably darker and more pungent than when they were fresh. Mixed down, they were
still totally usable, but certainly
not the same as nic that's been stored under more optimal conditions (glass bottles, minimal headspace, in the freezer).

@Rossum
Yes, we are in complete agreement.

What I mean by no nicotine degradation is that, having tested the nic base every two months, the nicotine strength had not diminished although the nic base was completely unusable in terms of flavour and harshness.

It's all in the thread I linked earlier in this one.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
@Rossum
Yes, we are in complete agreement.

What I mean by no nicotine degradation is that, having tested the nic base every two months, the nicotine strength had not diminished although the nic base was completely unusable in terms of flavour and harshness.

It's all in the thread I linked earlier in this one.
Ah, I seem to have missed that between all the back-and-forth regarding the accuracy of nic test kits. But I see it now. Sorry. For posterity:

So in conclusion there is little concern of nicotine degridation for nic base stored in this manner, but oxidation will cause the flavour profile to change and eventually develop an unwanted and unvapeble harshness.

Reactions: Caterpiller

skiball

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
There are different schools of thought on this. Some believe that VG is better because its higher viscosity slows the interaction between the nic and any oxygen that's present in the sealed bottle. I'm inclined to believe this because PG nic does tend to discolor more quickly in a partially full bottle at room temperature than VG nic does.
In all my reading this is the 1st time i've read this theory. Any studies to back it up?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Reactions: Mowgli

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Ok so if i bought 250ml of VG based 72mg nicotine that comes in a plastic bottle i couldn't just put it in the freezer and open it to draw out what i need whenever i mix up a new batch of juice?

Storing a sealed container of nicotine in the freezer is what you want to do. But after you crack the lid open, the biggest problem is oxygen. Oxygen and room temperature are what kills nicotine. You are going to have to let the nicotine hit close to room temp before you can stir/shake it up and get your sample out.

I have one opened 100mg bottle in my fridge that I use frequently, stored in a large gallon ziplock bag. The rest of my stash is in gallon bags in the freezer.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    I guess it depends on how you define "degradation". I did something similar last summer. I ordered 120ml bottles of "premium" PG nic from four different vendors for the blind comparison I organized. I then kept what was left of all four (about 1/3 of each) sitting in a dark cabinet in their original bottles in an air-conditioned house for two months. I did not test their strength, but I can tell you this: All four had gotten considerably darker and more pungent than when they were fresh. Mixed down, they were still totally usable, but certainly not the same as nic that's been stored under more optimal conditions (glass bottles, minimal headspace, in the freezer).

@Rossum 's results:

ECF - Nicotine Taste Test.JPG

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran

You are probably going to have to let it warm up to near room temp before you take off any nic, but yes, that's the way to do it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Not really "my" results. I was the instigator for the test, and one of the dozen or so people that provided input, but @Cool_Breeze deserves the credit for the methodology and for collating the results.

Sorry...did not mean to misappropriate that. I only saved the link to the article and the image on my computer for reference, but had no names. Doh!

Reactions: Rossum

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Keep as long as possible in freezer. Making around 3mg nic juice. Just kind of prepping. And here's where I read it.

That was saying that 100mg nic stored on a shelf would fare worse than 24mg nic stored in their purged sealed container in a freezer.
    Not that 100mg is less storable. I have about 1.75 L stored in the freezer. I'll let you know in 2-4 years how the last bottle did.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts

If it stays in the plastic bottle long, it will get a plastic taste. Easier, better to get a few amber glass Boston bottles.
    Trust me, I did exactly that when I started DIY. I did use it, but it was not the best vape I've had. Good it was a smaller amount.

Last edited:

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire, UK
    If it stays in the plastic bottle long, it will get a plastic taste. Easier, batter to get a few amber glass Boston bottles.
    Trust me, I did exactly that when I started DIY. I did use it, but it was not the best vape I've had. Good it was a smaller amount.

But how long is long? :)

I think i'm going to try a small amount in the fridge to start with. It will be about 50ml of nic and 200ml of VG to make some unflavoured juice. 50ml of nicotone may last me up to 10 months, unless it goes off that is.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread