Status
Not open for further replies.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Good morning, Voltwinterbluesites.

11 degrees and it started to be foggy. Pogonip, I hate it. However, it isn't thick and should burn off early.

I have to work this morning. Yep, four letter word.

Cash the Wonder Puppy managed to have an accident in the hallway of the den. Not sure how he did it since I thought I was keeping an eye on him. The den door must remain closed unless the puppy has had his big moment outside!!!!

I think the weather is supposed to improve a lot by next week. We shall see.

Sounds like your new snow event wasn't too bad, awsum.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Accidents happen, Izzie, and as long as you don't step in them you're doing fine :)

Well, the snow did stop and the sun is out so it'll start to disappear pretty quickly. Mr. Awsum and I both had eye appointments this morning and neither one of us can see crap at the moment. We've got all the blinds closed to avoid the dazzle from the snow. My focus is starting to come back but it's still a struggle. On the "up side", we both have healthy eyes that are easily corrected to 20/20.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'afternoon, Volties.

Sometimes things have unintended consequences. Mrs. Awsum and I both change shoes when we come in or go out. That means a boot tray near the side door we use all the time. Problem is I have big feet and we both keep sneakers, boots and maybe another style "comfortable" shoe there. With the size of my shoes it results in "overcrowding" and "spillover" to say the least.

Yesterday we were in BBB for something else and as we left there was a two tier boot tray, so we grabbed one, brought it home and all the shoes fit fine. It's as tall as Bo's food/water stand. Since he's a big boy he has a pretty high one so he can eat and drink easily. The boot tray and his food/water stand are right in line with each other, end to end, in the little hallway to the side door. Last night he had his dinner and everything was fine, although he ate facing the kitchen rather than facing the door as he normally did before we got the two tier boot tray. This morning was a whole other story though.

Normally, when he gets his breakfast he is in a big rush to get to the bowl. This morning he looked at me puzzled, then sniffed the boot tray where it is closest, actually within an few inches, to his food tray. He turned around and was standing in the little hallway, looking dejected and lost, ignoring his breakfast which is very unusual for a "chow hound". I picked up the boot tray and moved it and he immediately gobbled his breakfast. Now we're going to have to try to get him used to the change or re-arrange things when he eats. We feel like we're living with Mr. Monk.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good Monday, Voltvilllians.

That is so funny about Bo. He is set in his ways!

I've been trying to keep up on the house but the puppy is faster at making a mess than I am at cleaning up the paper and bark bits. He is so cute.

He managed to get into the horse pen and got tapped by Pony with a hoof. He is now staying out of the pen! Fortunately, he is fine.

Hubby has a dr. appointment and then out to lunch. Yay! Poor guy had to work OT yesterday and he has to work OT tomorrow. One day off and back to work.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltpeeps.

I am worried about Rusty. He doesn't want to eat and he didn't really wan t water. He looks very painful. I have given him three Tramadol since 7pm last night. And he got his morning Previcox. I have an appointment at the vet for 1:45pm.

Okay, he finally ate so I cancelled the appointment since he was just in there on last Monday. I'll keep an eye on him and he can have lots more Tramadol than what I have been giving him so we'll try that.

Last edited:

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
'afternoon, Voltaticalytes.

Any idea what's wrong with Rusty, Lizzie? It's tough figuring it all out when they can't tell you what hurts.

I think it is his shoulders but both sides instead of mostly the left side like usual but I'm just not sure. They didn't x-ray him and they didn't really give him a good once over so I'm not sure. He looks a bit better now that the Previcox and several Tramadol are in him. I've been trying to give this vet my best shot but I am finding I don't have a lot of confidence in him. His dad was a great vet but his dad is rarely there.

His left shoulder has been bothering him for years.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Bo has problems with his right rear leg, ACL repair when he was a pup, and he keeps getting cysts between the toes of his left front foot, basically from ingrown hair. We've found Gabapentin (SP?) works better than tramadol for him. He also gets a good massage, front shoulders and upper rear thighs, a few times a day.

It's really weird...call the vet and get 100 tramadol at a time, ask the doctor for it for yourself and you have to jump through hoops for 30, non-renewable, and the druggist looks at you like your a druggie. Of course, if we took as much tramadol as Bo gets we'd need an anchor to hold us down and keep us from bouncing on the ceiling.

We woke up to a light dusting of snow that disappeared before 10AM. I just glanced out the sliding door and some light, fluffy, flakes are drifting down. According to the weather guessers we may get three to six inches by tomorrow morning. Who knows? It is winter in NJ, kind of par for the course.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Bo has problems with his right rear leg, ACL repair when he was a pup, and he keeps getting cysts between the toes of his left front foot, basically from ingrown hair. We've found Gabapentin (SP?) works better than tramadol for him. He also gets a good massage, front shoulders and upper rear thighs, a few times a day.

It's really weird...call the vet and get 100 tramadol at a time, ask the doctor for it for yourself and you have to jump through hoops for 30, non-renewable, and the druggist looks at you like your a druggie. Of course, if we took as much tramadol as Bo gets we'd need an anchor to hold us down and keep us from bouncing on the ceiling.

We woke up to a light dusting of snow that disappeared before 10AM. I just glanced out the sliding door and some light, fluffy, flakes are drifting down. According to the weather guessers we may get three to six inches by tomorrow morning. Who knows? It is winter in NJ, kind of par for the course.

I'll look into the gabapentin. Rusty is over nine years old and he looks fantastic, good teeth, still athletic a lot of the time, beautiful fur. I hate that his shoulders are bad.

Puppy pic.

[URL=http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/renolizzie/media/IMG_0433_zpsp2glgjod.jpg.html] [/URL]

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
It looks like Cash knows that Rusty is sick, and wants him to feel better. :wub:

That's Willie who hd been very ptient with th enew puppy. Rusty mostly doesn't like him but who can blame him? Cash is like a tornado!!! Sassy is in between Willie and Rusty on the love/hate scale.

Rusty took Cash's toy away the other night an dlaid down like "Ha, you can't have it!" So funny. Rusty doesn't really do toys.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltpeeps.

SandySu, how is the birthday situation with the kids?

Rusty is not looking good. He vomited during the night and now he is breathing hard and loud. He weighs 60 punds so I'm not sure how I will get him into the car. I'll have to see if one of the neighbors is available to help me.

On top of that I seem to have THE COLD that has been going around. I don't feel awful but I don't feel good either.

I am cancelling today's cleaning appointments and rescheduling for next week and getting Rusty into the vet as soon as possible.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
It is unfortunate that Rusty has passed away. Obviously, we are kind of shocked that it happened so quickly. On the other hand, we did just have Rusty in for a vet check about a week and a half ago. I felt, at that time, that there was something wrong with Rusty that went beyond his having arthritis and bad shoulders. However, there was nothing too concerning in his blood test. There isn't much more that could have been done.

As for it being contagious. We don't think so. Penny was 10 years old and had liver cancer. Rusty was a large dog and was 9 1/2 years old. Probably just was his time to go.

It is probably for the best since Rusty's right shoulder seemed to be going bad and his left shoulder was already bad. There really is no way to fix his shoulders so we were worried about that.

The vet says it could have been a tumor that ruptured in his lungs since he passed a fair amount of dark fluid through his nose at his passing. It is troublesome but it is true that most causes of death could not have been fixed anyway. He could have had a major stroke or some sort of heart failure or some such. None of that is actually curable even if we would have run him to the emergency vet at 2am.

As mom and the vet both said, we gave Rusty a wonderful life here on our 5 acres.

Rusty is now at peace. He was a wonderful dog, very obedient and a wonderful guardian for our home. I will forever picture him sitting in front of the house where he could watch the gate. He will be missed.

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread