Question about UN/NONFLAVORED e-liquid PG/VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Figured DIYers who want to start clean and those who vape nekkid could best answer my questions.

1) What is the cleanest/best tasting unflavored PG/VG mix?

2) For MTL vape (tootler, not a cloud chunker), what is your favorite PG/VG ratio?

I've tried Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers 12mg/mL 50/50 and it just tastes too chemical-ie to me.
Nicotine River's stuff tastes more neutral/cleaner IMO but I wonder what else is out there in either 12 or 18mg/mL nic (if that makes a difference). I'm sure there are others but am trying to cut to the chase. Thank you for your comments ... and go ... :)

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    It's too personal to recommend a base. I always recommend getting the smallest bottles from about 6 places and testing. There is also TH and the peppery thing to consider.

I went that way to start and decided I like it not so pure in the end. At least for unflavored vaping.

Many of us low watt, higher nic level vapers use 50/50 because it's an easy mix and works well with different toppers.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 17, 2016
    Well hopefully some will chime in with at least some characteristics they found by trying various bases and what their thoughts are. And hopefully some nekkid vapsters will offer what their everyday is. Hey, one can hope

EDIT: Like the avatar r77. Was one of my favorite afternoon shows when I was a kid in the early 60's

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    I use this UNFLAVORED NICOTINE - MyFreedomSmokes base liquid, with 75/25 PG/VG 24 mg/ml Nicotine ratio's. There is just PG and VG available, so one could make a lower nic level by adding one (or both I guess) of those. Distilled water can lower everything (PG/VG/Nic) too. I like the MFS variety of base liquid just fine, it is available elsewhere too. Nude Nicotine comes to mind. NudeNic's variety is allegedly purer, and MFS's might have a slightly more peppery taste, I can't say though.

edit: Oh BTW, I vaped a 50/50 pre-mixed juice before I ventured into DIY land, and my first bottle of base liquid was 50/50 as well. I use a 75/25 now because it provides a bit more 'throat hit', and my coil head last a bit longer before I clean them.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Well hopefully some will chime in with at least some characteristics they found by trying various bases and what their thoughts are. And hopefully some nekkid vapsters will offer what their everyday is. Hey, one can hope

EDIT: Like the avatar r77. Was one of my favorite afternoon shows when I was a kid in the early 60's

There is a huge thread here in DIY that discusses just the nic- Nicotine Comparison.

That show is still on, lol. I watch it with my son now :)

Reactions: Hobbs

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    somdcomputerguy, what attributes do you like about a 75/25 over some other ratios? Or, what do you not like about other ratios? Thanks !!!
    I added to/edited my earlier post. Hope that's enough of an answer for you! :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    1) What is the cleanest/best tasting unflavored PG/VG mix?
    Any USP grade (I use and like Essential Depot) will do. I have never tested 2 separate suppliers.
    2) For MTL vape (tootler, not a cloud chunker), what is your favorite PG/VG ratio?
    30PG/70VG-zero nic. Because its smooth and easy on the throat. I use deep well RDA's for flavor only at 6-7 watts. I find it wicks well and if I accidentally tip my mod over, the juice is thick enough so it does not pour out/leak if I quick upright it again.

SailCat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 10, 2009
    Beaverton, OR
    www.SailCat.com
    In the beginning, I vaped flavor and lots of it. Quit smoking, though so goooooal!

The strong, cloying flavorings in commercial liquids caused me to seek a respite in the form of unflavored. I chose Max VG as I enjoyed the natural sweetness of the base. I ended up vaping unflavored nic liquid for a couple of years. Logically, in 2016, buying pre-mixed (if you're using nic at all) in the percentage or (your) choice is the simplest and easiest method to find what appeals to the most important person: you.

Since you asked for recommendations, here ya go, but the same fanboys who skewed the poll on the topics are already lining up to flame; I feel da heat. :D

In my personal and most humble opinion, MFS will be the harshest choice, albeit one of the cheapest. At the other end of the spectrum (where the qualities will be clean, clear, smooth, low-odor and free of peppery quality) will be NicSelect and Chemnovatic.

The former (NicSelect) is available from a few vendors, my favorite of those (and, to my limited knowledge, most economical) is Nicotine River. I didn't research smaller sizes of lower nic percentages cause here's a gold mine and you want me to dig it out for you, too? OK, maybe not gold, but good stuff here, I promise. Never mind, I checked: 3, 6, 9, and 12 mg bottles start and just over $3. :)

Chemnovatic, distributed through the UK (although the chain from the actual extractors is convoluted [thank you, Time]), can be purchased from Vapers Tek. It was also available through Bull City Vapor (and got raves) until North Carolina dropped the hammer on nic sales.This stuff is spendy but the quality is so good, many people (this writer included) find the lower-priced 'Throat Hit' product smoother than many supposed first-quality products. The smallest bottle premium nic available here is 120ml which will set you back a double sawski ($20). More on the 'Throat Hit' product below.

OK, I figure the only folks still reading by now are either huge fans of this inimitable writing style or gluttons for eyeball punishment so hey, how 'bout those <fill in winning Super Bowl team here. I honestly have no idea>?

Once you have a fave, the most economical way to buy (for the home DIYer, anyway) is one-liter, 100mg containers. At Nicotine River, the cost is $60, a bargain for the quality. At Vapers Tek, it's $125 which is not a bargain but is the highest quality this vaper has ever sucked upon. The real bargain here is the one mentioned previously, the so-called 'Throat Hit,' a 100ml bottle of which can be funded by couch-cushion change-diving or busting into the kids' piggy bank; it's $25.

OK, that's all I know and then some and I'm out of breath. If you have questions ask somebody else. No, seriously, there are smart, experienced DIYers here, not all of whom have defected or you are sincerely welcome to shoot me a PM if you haven't had enough of this rambling. 'Always happy to lend a hand. :)

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
    Jun 9, 2015
    Texas
    I like the MFS nic. Its all I've ever used. I never mix higher than 6 mg though, so it's a very minimal part of my juice. I've never tasted anything peppery or chemical-y in it. I still vape flavors, but I find a few tanks of "nekkid" as you put it (Lol! BTW.) to be a nice change now and then. I've tried VG and PG from a few different places and have settled in on what I think I like the best. VG from Bull City, PG & Nic from MFS. The VG from Bull City is a lil bit sweeter and has a very slight flavor to it that I like. The PG from MFS has a lil more TH to it than some. I'm not a big fan of big TH, but I like a lil bit in my mix.

I know you said you don't want to DIY, but it's cheaper than buying a pre-mix and it will let you fine tune what you get from your juice. It's also super easy. More so if you're not trying to mix in flavors. My unflavored stuff costs me about 2 cents/ml and a 100 ml bottle takes about 2 minutes to mix up.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 17, 2016
    Thanks guys !!!

I'm drawing on some Nude Nicotine 18mg/mL right now. It's very clean tasting. Well, MAYBE only the slightest hint of pepper, but it's hard to tell for sure because I'm still tainted from some crap flavored vape last night and what I've been drawing on earlier today.

I will likely try Vape Clarity next time I order. I've read on the interwebs that it's similar to NN in purity and clarity but find it's half the price.

Following earlier suggestions, last night I did go ahead and order some MFS. I also ordered some Essential Depot PG and VG just to play around with percentages and no nic involved. That may be the best start ... find the PG/VG mix to my liking and then toss some nic at it.

... while I was at it last night, I did order some FA Apple and FA caramel to play around with. I also have some Tobacco Absolute, Ethyl Maltol and Menthol crystals already on hand. But I digress ... I REALLY NEED to settle on a base and nic level before venturing into flavor land. Small steps. At this point, I no more want to vape a cappuccino custard zombie killing space something or other any more than I wanted to smoke an apple pie when I was on the cigs.

Reactions: Dixie1954

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    The strong, cloying flavorings in commercial liquids caused me to seek a respite in the form of unflavored.
    I had the same problem with pre mix. I think I've found a middle ground. My current recipe is 49% PG, 49% VG, 1% nic, 1% flavoring. (The flavoring happens to be Cuppucinno by Capella.) I can vape it all day every day if I want. There are two unexpected and pleasant surprises. While I'm getting good flavor the people around me say, at most, what they smell reminds them of a nightclub cloud machine. Apparently they are smelling the PG. And if a few drops of liquid leaks into to my clothing from a mod in my pocket there is no detectable odor. I use the least amount of a flavoring that covers the taste of the other ingrediants.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 17, 2016
    I use the least amount of a flavoring that covers the taste of the other ingrediants.
    ... and that's what I would like to do ... when I'm ready to take that step back up to flavor.

I'm sure unfavorable reviews are out there, but I haven't seen anything but by far, good reviews about Capella. Seems the flavor is good and most Capella flavors may be a little more forgiving than FA or some of the others?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    ... and that's what I would like to do ... when I'm ready to take that step back up to flavor.

I'm sure unfavorable reviews are out there, but I haven't seen anything but by far, good reviews about Capella. Seems the flavor is good and most Capella flavors may be a little more forgiving than FA or some of the others?
    I'm no conniseur of the flavoring business. Even so people's tastes are radically different. What I found with pre mix is if i make a batch of unflavored with the right nic percent and cut it by 75% the pre mix tastes better to me. If a flavor is too strong our sense of taste will adjust and buffer it. If the taste of something is weak we'll increase sensitivity to that taste. I vape on the shop floor at work. Nobody notices a smell and if some gets on my clothing I don't reek of it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread