Kanger Subtank Nano burning sensation in throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatieMM2989

Feb 11, 2016
Hey! I'm new to this site but I've browsed a lot and it seems like there's a lot of knowledge here.

I started vaping early December using a vision spinner with a kanger mini pro tank 3. I love it but was looking to upgrade. Last week I bought a kanger subox nano with the Subtank nano. I prefer mouth to lung so I was using the 1.5 coil, I had it set to 13 watts to start and I found that if I took a long inhale I would get a burning sensation in the back of my throat, also super harsh and making me cough a lot. I figured I just had to get used to it and lowered the wattage a bit.. (Down to 10) still had the issue and vaping was just completely not enjoyable. I took the coil back to my vape shop and they gave me a 1.2 because that's all they had. It seemed to work better for the first bit but now I am finding that harshness again..it's not a burnt out coil, I've experienced that before and this is different.

I'm currently vaping 6mg 50vg/50pg..wondering if maybe I need a higher VG??

Honestly I'm just super confused and a little sad that I'm not enjoying my new vape like I thought I would. Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Lowjumper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
Union Mills NC
Well I can through out some ideas. The only luck Ive had with kanger coils is the re-buildable ones, the pre made ones don't wick at all for me and I use very low VG juice (like 10% or less).
The rebuild-able coil works great and it comes with a coil just add cotton:rolleyes: easy to do and the coil will last months, just replace cotton:banana:

Reactions: KatieMM2989

KatieMM2989

Feb 11, 2016
Hey! I'm new to this site but I've browsed a lot and it seems like there's a lot of knowledge here.

I started vaping early December using a vision spinner with a kanger mini pro tank 3. I love it but was looking to upgrade. Last week I bought a kanger subox nano with the Subtank nano. I prefer mouth to lung so I was using the 1.5 coil, I had it set to 13 watts to start and I found that if I took a long inhale I would get a burning sensation in the back of my throat, also super harsh and making me cough a lot. I figured I just had to get used to it and lowered the wattage a bit.. (Down to 10) still had the issue and vaping was just completely not enjoyable. I took the coil back to my vape shop and they gave me a 1.2 because that's all they had. It seemed to work better for the first bit but now I am finding that harshness again..it's not a burnt out coil, I've experienced that before and this is different.

I'm currently vaping 6mg 50vg/50pg..wondering if maybe I need a higher VG??

Honestly I'm just super confused and a little sad that I'm not enjoying my new vape like I thought I would. Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Well I can through out some ideas. The only luck Ive had with kanger coils is the re-buildable ones, the pre made ones don't wick at all for me and I use very low VG juice (like 10% or less).
The rebuild-able coil works great and it comes with a coil just add cotton:rolleyes: easy to do and the coil will last months, just replace cotton:banana:

Thanks a lot!

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
I have a toptank which is essentially a subtank with the ability to top-fill, I believe. I was having this problem too and for me it is a lot better when I have switched to 70/30 vg/pg juice and opened up the airflow all the way. For mine, deeper inhales seem to work better, too. It is a pain in the .... to upgrade your stuff sometimes, it seems. I didn't have any of these problems on my crappy little cig-a-like. Then again, I could barely taste the liquid and the vapor was crap, battery was crap. Sigh.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
I have a subtank nano. I only use the .5 ohm coils with the two largest air hole settings, mostly the largest though. Between 25-32.5 watts.

From what you described, it has not wicked well plus you're not firing it high enough. The 1.2 ohm coils are best around 15-25 Watts and wide open airflow.

Secondly 6mg can be harsh at sub ohm and most people go for 6mg or 3mg. If you use 6mg, you'll likely need to let it steep by leaving the top off over night, this takes the harshness out of the nicotine somehow.

Thirdly, IDK, but I tired the 1.2 ohm coils and found them utter rubbish.

I'd try the .5 ohm coils if I were you. There is a reason a lot of sites and B&M stores sell out of them - they are awesome and everyone buys them.

They vape best with higher VG liquids (I use 70VG 30PG and find that the perfect ratio, I also use MAX VG but add a drop of distilled water) between 25 - 32.5W and can be harsh with less than 70VG liquids as VG is smoother than PG. Plus you have to lower the nic level.

Finally, Kanger, Aspire et al have flooded the market recently with a lot of new variations of the standard coils such as temp control, clapton etc, ones with alphabet soup kinds of initials - and you have to be really careful the store sells you just the regular ones.

I've been sold coils for my nautilus mini with non temp control device that are for TC devices and also even ones that are really for the Triton by the same company. They either don't vape well or are too harsh. If you're usin a standard VV/VW device you have to very succinctly ask for the REGULAR coils for the tank you use not the new exotic ones.

Last edited:

KatieMM2989

Feb 11, 2016
I have a toptank which is essentially a subtank with the ability to top-fill, I believe. I was having this problem too and for me it is a lot better when I have switched to 70/30 vg/pg juice and opened up the airflow all the way. For mine, deeper inhales seem to work better, too. It is a pain in the .... to upgrade your stuff sometimes, it seems. I didn't have any of these problems on my crappy little cig-a-like. Then again, I could barely taste the liquid and the vapor was crap, battery was crap. Sigh.
Thanks so much! Im gonna try a higher VG. Happy to know I'm not alone

KatieMM2989

Feb 11, 2016
I have a subtank nano. I only use the .5 ohm coils with the two largest air hole settings, mostly the largest though. Between 25-32.5 watts.

From what you described, it has not wicked well plus you're not firing it high enough. The 1.2 ohm coils are best around 15-25 Watts and wide open airflow.

Secondly 6mg can be harsh at sub ohm and most people go for 6mg or 3mg. If you use 6mg, you'll likely need to let it steep by leaving the top off over night, this takes the harshness out of the nicotine somehow.

Thirdly, IDK, but I tired the 1.2 ohm coils and found them utter rubbish.

I'd try the .5 ohm coils if I were you. There is a reason a lot of sites and B&M stores sell out of them - they are awesome and everyone buys them.

They vape best with higher VG liquids (I use 70VG 30PG and find that the perfect ratio, I also use MAX VG but add a drop of distilled water) between 25 - 32.5W and can be harsh with less than 70VG liquids as VG is smoother than PG. Plus you have to lower the nic level.

Finally, Kanger, Aspire et al have flooded the market recently with a lot of new variations of the standard coils such as temp control, clapton etc, ones with alphabet soup kinds of initials - and you have to be really careful the store sells you just the regular ones.

I've been sold coils for my nautilus mini with non temp control device that are for TC devices and also even ones that are really for the Triton by the same company. They either don't vape well or are too harsh. If you're usin a standard VV/VW device you have to very succinctly ask for the REGULAR coils for the tank you use not the new exotic ones.

Thanks a lot for your help. That helps a lot. As for firing on a higher wattage, that was my initial goal..however the higher I go the worse it is.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
My Wife has 3 ST-Nanos and uses the 1.5 and 1.2 SSOCC pre-builts without any Issue or "harshness/burning". She vapes 70VG/30PG Liquids all 3mg Nic.
Sets her Mod at 10 Watts for the 1.2 R Coils, at 13 Watts for the 1.5 R Coils.
She sets her AFC about 2/3 closed as she prefers a harder Draw with max warmth & Flavor. Ihave found that too Airy can add to the "harshness" as there is more hot Air present than Vape Flavor. You will just need to try varying the AFC till you hit your personal Sweet-Spot like all the other Variables/Parameters involved in a Vape Rig.

Given that compared to your Situation, would say definitely go up (try 70/30 1st) on VG content and then try those Settings on Wattage according to Coil Resistance.

Also, highly suggest dumping the Kanthal OCC Coils and stick to the newer SSOCC pre-builts IF you aren't already using them. They Wick fantastically and the Flavor is awesome & pure as well with no added "wire taste" or that burnt after-taste that Kanthal pre-builts seem to add at lower Ohm and higher Wattage.

IF you want to go Sub-Ohm and use the 0.5 R SSOCC's, try starting at 18 Watts and go up from there till you get the (personal) best Vape Flavor & Warmth. Keep going up 1 Watt at a time until it starts tasting Harsh/Burnt. Usually, the Top-Out is somewhere around 25-28 Watts using 70/30 (from our experience).
Also, be SURE your Mod/APV and Battery will handle that high of an Amp draw.

As for Nic level,,,, to each their own and I NEVER advocate going Up on Nic UNLESS the Vaper is a Newbie and lower Nic Vaping isn't flipping their Switch enough to combat the Cravings for the Camel Turds. Personally, started at 36mg and over the past 5 years have tapered down to 12mg. But, I do occasionally load up some 18mg in a Dripper (Built & Matched properly) with no Issue. Great Flavor & Warmth same as lower Nic just a tad more "Schwang" :D
That being said, with properly matching Coils (pre-built or User-built), Devices & Settings; Nic level Will NOT cause Burnt Taste in and of itself. It just doesn't.
Too high and it will blow the top of ya Head off figuratively ;) but it will Not cause a Burnt/overly-Hot Taste.

Hope that provides some direction to test and fiddle with and gets ya at least closer to your personal Vape Nirvana.
Enjoy & Vape On :thumb:

Last edited:

KatieMM2989

Feb 11, 2016
My Wife has 3 ST-Nanos and uses the 1.5 and 1.2 SSOCC pre-builts without any Issue or "harshness/burning". She vapes 70VG/30PG Liquids all 3mg Nic.
Sets her Mod at 10 Watts for the 1.2 R Coils, at 13 Watts for the 1.5 R Coils.
She sets her AFC about 2/3 closed as she prefers a harder Draw with max warmth & Flavor. Ihave found that too Airy can add to the "harshness" as there is more hot Air present than Vape Flavor. You will just need to try varying the AFC till you hit your personal Sweet-Spot like all the other Variables/Parameters involved in a Vape Rig.

Given that compared to your Situation, would say definitely go up (try 70/30 1st) on VG content and then try those Settings on Wattage according to Coil Resistance.

Also, highly suggest dumping the Kanthal OCC Coils and stick to the newer SSOCC pre-builts IF you aren't already using them. They Wick fantastically and the Flavor is awesome & pure as well with no added "wire taste" or that burnt after-taste that Kanthal pre-builts seem to add at lower Ohm and higher Wattage.

IF you want to go Sub-Ohm and use the 0.5 R SSOCC's, try starting at 18 Watts and go up from there till you get the (personal) best Vape Flavor & Warmth. Keep going up 1 Watt at a time until it starts tasting Harsh/Burnt. Usually, the Top-Out is somewhere around 25-28 Watts using 70/30 (from our experience).
Also, be SURE your Mod/APV and Battery will handle that high of an Amp draw.

As for Nic level,,,, to each their own and I NEVER advocate going Up on Nic UNLESS the Vaper is a Newbie and lower Nic Vaping isn't flipping their Switch enough to combat the Cravings for the Camel Turds. Personally, started at 36mg and over the past 5 years have tapered down to 12mg. But, I do occasionally load up some 18mg in a Dripper (Built & Matched properly) with no Issue. Great Flavor & Warmth same as lower Nic just a tad more "Schwang" :D
That being said, with properly matching Coils (pre-built or User-built), Devices & Settings; Nic level Will NOT cause Burnt Taste in and of itself. It just doesn't.
Too high and it will blow the top of ya Head off figuratively ;) but it will Not cause a Burnt/overly-Hot Taste.

Hope that provides some direction to test and fiddle with and gets ya at least closer to your personal Vape Nirvana.
Enjoy & Vape On :thumb:
Wow, thanks so much for all your suggestions. Greatly appreciated!! I'm going to look into the SSOCC pre-builts :)

Reactions: Hitcat44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread