Not open for further replies.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
2vt2ru0.jpg

Haven't need to test MB customer sevice.
WAE IIs have performed daily without any issues for over 20 months.
Gems SS and Ti have also performed daily without issues since I received them.
Sorry for your misfortunes, but my experiences have been very satisfying.
I hear you mate. I'm sure I'm an anomaly. Unfortunately those are where you see the inner workings.

You're obviously a collector so I don't expect you'd feel it would be a ridiculous move to release a v2 6-8 weeks after an "exclusive" limited which trumped it in features. But like I said a great many of us buying authentics do so with a great deal of trial and error. That's possible due to resale. Killing resale of your product limits it greatly even to those willing to pay the price for authentics. Especially mark bugs who are in the top of the price range.

In glad you've had such a positive experience. I've had one positive nice gesture in six months of no responses. Lack of attention to detail and completely inconsistent products in the gem series. The wae I had been good so far. Best product from them.

Can you tell me. Does the insulator in the 519 base of your titanium
Gem come out very easily? Like just removing the pin ?

Cloudrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
elk grove, ca
I had one insulator that was loose, i actually removed it and tapped it a hammer a few times to flatten and expand it and now it fits tight enough not to fall out.
The rest all have a tight enough fit where they have to be forcibly moved from position.
I only use one Gem in 510 mode, all the rest are hybrid mounted on WAEs.

Reactions: raitizz

raitizz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Can you tell me. Does the insulator in the 510 base of your titanium
Gem come out very easily? Like just removing the pin ?

If I may - mine hasn't moved since I got it. Well, I haven't tried to remove it too.

Feel'ya on drag about a V2 coming out so shortly after the Ti (what do we know, when it will appear, though).

R

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
I had one insulator that was loose, i actually removed it and tapped it a hammer a few times to flatten and expand it and now it fits tight enough not to fall out.
The rest all have a tight enough fit where they have to be forcibly moved from position.
I only use one Gem in 510 mode, all the rest are hybrid mounted on WAEs.
Yah my v1 stainless that's part of the issue. The insulator doesn't seem to move at all and over hands the end by about 1mm or so. What happens as a result is the atomizer doesn't sit flush unless I absolutely crank down on it which really causes issues with the top and such and generally isn't a good idea. On the other hand the titanium one is falling out if I look at it. I'll have a look about how to possibly expand it. I guess on the stainless I'm going to have to shave it with a razor or something. My hand coordination should be fully returned in the next eight weeks so I'll just do it later.
If I may - mine hasn't moved since I got it. Well, I haven't tried to remove it too.

Feel'ya on drag about a V2 coming out so shortly after the Ti (what do we know, when it will appear, though).

R

Well if the last worst comments and to release are anything to judge by probably 5-10 days. The thing is it's not just "oh I wish I got new features" it's about how they're just screwing their loyal customers by destroying resale and making the limited edition look like a joke. How limited. Wait two weeks and get a more desirable device for half the price. Brilliant business sense no?
While i appreciate the improvements with the Ti Gem, they aren't enough to turn me away from the V1 SS.
I doubt the V2 will make me feel that will need to flip my V1s.
Yah for me the increased wicking was the big selling point. But my adv's are 90% vg. Although I have finally got my builds on the ss v1 working pretty flawlessly. I cannot however do it with my oregerred material for non temp. Stainless steel works really well but with the 7 wraps I can fit in there it won't wick fast enough.

The retained o rings is nice for cleaning but not remarkable. The added deck space for me isn't really noticeable for my builds no only use 28 gauge. I any try some weird twisted or something at some point.

I appreciate you both not jumping on me for my statements. I was irked. I'd hope everyone knows by now I've really tried to be a helpful member of the mark bugs community. I was about to order a chalice iii but that's off now.

Last edited:

Blizzzy

Jan 8, 2016
From my personal experiene, I ran into a couple of problems with the glass tank and mark has been very responsive and has sent me replacements. I do have another issue with discoloration the rebuildable deck. I'm confident Mark will definitely help me out on this. Based on these 2 points I would say customer service has been great for me. However hooligan does have a point on the v2 release. Ppl actually take time for research and save money before buying the gem, just to see a better version released 2
months later. That said, a better way to do this is to offer the feature upgrades to v1 and TI users at a decent price. Heck even cheap producers like kangertech offer the v2 deck to v1 Stm users. As long as the parts are interchangeable I don't see this is not doable. I'd say let's wait and see what happens when v2 releases before deciding to jump to another brand.

Reactions: h00ligan

Cloudrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
elk grove, ca
I don't feel h00ligans grievances are unfair.
They are his personal experiences, honestly and clearly stated without prejudice.
Only in the area of TC where I feel that the Gem was never designed to use Nickel wire as an alternative to non TC coil wire. The DNA40 was just being introduced to the vaping world when Qorax was first testing the prototype Gem. During that period, before Ti and SS wire, spaced nickel coils were the way for a reliable TC setup. Clearly the coil deck of the Gem from the onset was designed for compressed coils. Also MB clearly prioritized it's design to complement the family of 21mm DNA mods and mechs they had previously released. The hybrid option with the WE/WAE was clearly a design priority, which dictated a modular 510 type setup for universal compatibility with non MB products.

Last edited:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
2vt2ru0.jpg

Haven't need to test MB customer sevice.
WAE IIs have performed daily without any issues for over 20 months.
Gems SS and Ti have also performed daily without issues since I received them.
Sorry for your misfortunes, but my experiences have been very satisfying.
Beautiful collection. MB = Everything Exemplary!

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com

R
That Ti is the V2. The same is being replicated on the 'original' SS this time. Just that this model in Titanium came out earlier - b'coz of specific demands by two hundred of us.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
I don't feel h00ligans grievances are unfair.
They are his personal experiences, honestly and clearly stated without prejudice.
Only in the area of TC where I feel that the Gem was never designed to use Nickel wire as an alternative to non TC coil wire. The DNA40 was just being introduced to the vaping world when Qorax was first testing the prototype Gem. During that period, before Ti and SS wire, spaced nickel coils were the way for a reliable TC setup. Clearly the coil deck of the Gem from the onset was designed for compressed coils. Also MB clearly prioritized it's design to complement the family of 21mm DNA mods and mechs they had previously released. The hybrid option with the WE/WAE was clearly a design priority, which dictated a modular 510 type setup for universal compatibility with non MB products.
The recommendation here on nife48 from zipif works very well for temp
Control on the gem. That said I don't bother with the ultra finnicky dna200 device which renders about 90% of my tanks as not good for temp control. On yihi chips the nife48 has been impeccable since I started running it. If you're looking to try something in a gem for temp control. Just passing on an excellent recommendation made here previously. I wish I could remember who it was. I thought it was you!

Reactions: Cloudrider

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Priced LOWER?!?!?!?
Do you know how soon it will be available?
In about 2-3 weeks my dear friend :)
And the price is kept lower so that the original SS purchasers do not feel the pinch that much. And remember, as with everything MarkBugs this also would be a limited edition.
----------------------------------------
Btw, MB's products go thru serious beta testing. The GEM had a full one year of it. And peeps have no idea of what's coming next from the hands of the Metal Magicians. Be prepared for something verrrrry diffrent. Albeit pioneering!

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
So the earlier statement that there are further differences doesn't stand?
Sorry a little confused. My blights were based on the earlier statements that the vv2 would be the to gem + more revision. Which to me indicates they did not test enough

Sorry that was meant to be an edit not a quote of myself. Lol

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Are there, but subtle. There's nothing wrong in fine tuning something if it can be.
Disagree. Once the limited edition ships design is locked until next revision or you destroy the second hand market as well as limited edition credibility. Changing after releasing a super expensive "special version, within months and without a full revision change, is jobbing your most loyal customers. If tweaks were to be made they should have made it into the ti. Otherwise if something operational is occurring. Like say my ti is floodin a lot due to some flaw - and that HAS to be fixed - then you need to eat the cost of a mistake and upgrade limited edition purchasers.

What's the point of a limited edition that's worse than a half price mass produced version. Or mass produced in comparison. ?

Tweaking now is admitting mistakes in the limited edition for all Intents and purposes. The very expensive limited edition. Rendering increased value or covet factor back to nil

I'd trade a titanium for a functionally improved gem. I had faith they had done everything that needed doing. Whether I realized it or not. When I made that $245 purchase. Which by the way is a crapload for an atomizer.

I have a limited edition titanium gem!!!!!!

I have a gem that cost half as much and works better.

I'll take that one ^^

When you make a limited first run you don't then make the subsequent mass production better. It's just bad business in a limited edition marketplace. Very bad business. Buy a 1/50 print!!!

Two weeks later a 25,000 lithograph run is made that's more color accurate and wears better. What market exists for the the 1/50 standard print? Not much

That's why t typically goes

Original - lithograph - print decreased quality however Imperceptual

I may be drawing a bad analogy. It's all that came to mind. I can't claim to know much about art. Only in the pop sense. Not fine art.

Also regarding the price being lower. It's so v1 people don't feel the pinch? That also makes very little sense. That may be the line they're feeding but the very obvious truth is slow unit sales in the wake of many newer atomizers. A decreased cost of prototyping due to a functionally very similar design - mostly paid for by limited edition buyers a who just got jobbed , and a functional need to reduce prices to compete and attract new buyers.

This is happening all
Over the industry. All major boutiques are lowering prices unless they're only ever making 200 or something. The market for pricey authentics especially in a world of very good $35-50 Chinese tanks using 316 stainless and lung hitting cloud blowers is dwindling. Even while the overall Vaping market grows.

The original gem sold
Out Ina. Flash. But he titanium limited was around quite a while. And I believe is still available at resellers (good luck selling them if they are when the v2 with better design ships at half the price point)

Lowering the price do the stainless ruins the second hand market. Which again is necessary for authentic trading and sampling. Very few people on this market have fully disposible income to the level you do to sample all these tanks. Most have to buy and sell the few tanks they have to try others.

That's now functionally impossible with both the v1 and to gem

Case in point my lined up buyer for the stainless was the first guy posting in response and perhaps one of the most interested here. So much for that sale

These aren't museum pieces where we want to display unused ones as he evolution of Vaping in our houses. For most of us functionally better = better. Good luck selling the "worse" version of the gem for a reasonable percentage.

I'm repeating myself now. Sorry. Anyway. To each their own. I feel mark bugs is going to blow it based on what you've stated.

Last edited:

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
The recommendation here on nife48 from zipif works very well for temp
Control on the gem. That said I don't bother with the ultra finnicky dna200 device which renders about 90% of my tanks as not good for temp control. On yihi chips the nife48 has been impeccable since I started running it. If you're looking to try something in a gem for temp control. Just passing on an excellent recommendation made here previously. I wish I could remember who it was. I thought it was you!
Me! lol!

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
There will always be a resale market for small batch gear. Look at the BMI box mod. People are paying $1000+ for one. Theres far better box mods available. Plus, I never assume a newer version makes it a better version. It's simply not always the case. In my case, I actually prefer my ss Gem over the Ti. They both work exactly as advertised but the "improvements" made to the Ti change absolutely nothing for me. I like it because it's a Ti collectable. Plus, I got #50. There will only be 1 of those. I'd wait and see what they do before I climb into the clock tower with my rifle....

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
There will always be a resale market for small batch gear. Look at the BMI box mod. People are paying $1000+ for one. Theres far better box mods available. Plus, I never assume a newer version makes it a better version. It's simply not always the case. In my case, I actually prefer my ss Gem over the Ti. They both work exactly as advertised but the "improvements" made to the Ti change absolutely nothing for me. I like it because it's a Ti collectable. Plus, I got #50. There will only be 1 of those. I'd wait and see what they do before I climb into the clock tower with my rifle....
I think its a real shame the ss GEMs werent numbered...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread